C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injection on a C3

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:05 PM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuel injection on a C3

Has anyone installed an aftermarket FI system. There are several. I got the MSD as I lived in CA and needed it for smog compliance. Now im in AZ and it doesnt matter, but that was why I made that choice. Its being done in a local shop and should be done tomorrow.....Experiences anyone???
Old 06-13-2018, 02:26 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There are a jillion posts with people using aftermarket EFIs. I had a 1990's era MPFI manifold on my car but it's a booger to tune (for me at least). I am replacing it with a Holley Sniper TBI after my 383 conversion because the self tuning aspect of it seems just too easy.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Sully737
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m a new C3 owner in AZ. 1981. Looking to convert to EFI. What’s the best full kit?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:59 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

"Best"? That depends on what you want. If you just want better cold starts and a little more adaptability at a low cost, TB EFI.

If you're after better fuel control, better MPG and part throttle in all conditions, you'd be looking at a sequential fuel injection conversion. You can even get some timing chain kits that will enable you to retrofit an LS computer to your car - that would be a pretty neat setup. Proper sequential FI, coil on plug and tons of adjustability. That might be... the best? There's some good aftermarket systems too. Coil on plug is great because dwell time at high RPM becomes a non-issue (8 coils after all), and you get much better timing control. The timing relationship isn't controlled by 3 gears and a timing chain.

Also, none of them will really be a "full kit". There's many that will get you nearly across the line, but you'll still need to sub some extra components in.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:34 PM
CiCiC3
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was just asking an old school mechanic about that and he seemed to think they can be a headache to keep running properly if you are not careful to select the right one. He added that many wind up going back to the carb to keep things simpler. I want to do this but need to get as much info ahead of time on the possible problems. You must have a good electrical wiring system and a solid running engine before hooking one up to give yourself the best advantage. My desire of an EFI is to get the spark plugs to run at a similar even keel which has been difficult with my Holley.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

I just took delivery of the new Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 multi-port fuel injection system.
I haven't yet unboxed it, but I'll be installing it in the upcoming weeks.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:31 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Coil on plug is great because dwell time at high RPM becomes a non-issue (8 coils after all), and you get much better timing control. The timing relationship isn't controlled by 3 gears and a timing chain.

At high rpm there could be 3 coils dwelling at the same time. Doing some calculations using dwell time, timing advance and rotational speed certainly shows how badly a distributor is at providing a decent dwell time to the coil.

Originally Posted by CiCiC3
I was just asking an old school mechanic about that and he seemed to think they can be a headache to keep running properly if you are not careful to select the right one. He added that many wind up going back to the carb to keep things simpler. I want to do this but need to get as much info ahead of time on the possible problems. You must have a good electrical wiring system and a solid running engine before hooking one up to give yourself the best advantage. My desire of an EFI is to get the spark plugs to run at a similar even keel which has been difficult with my Holley.

Well, talk to an old school mechanic and he won't be in favor of using anything new school. The new self learning systems like the Sniper really are quite simple to use.

However, if you expect better fuel distribution from the EFI then you either need a better intake to put the TBI unit onto or you need to use port injection. Heck, possibly both - use a better intake and port injection.
The following users liked this post:
CiCiC3 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:50 PM
edusmc1
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you have hood clearance issues?
Old 07-02-2018, 08:01 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

ahhh….what.....when was the last time you saw a EFI car go back to a carburetor???? roller cam/lifters and EFI have been the wave of the future for the 30 last years?
does it take some sophistication yes it does. edelbrock is a top brand company buy a book on understanding EFI and step into the future
Old 07-02-2018, 08:07 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by wendellp601
i just took delivery of the new edelbrock pro flo 4 multi-port fuel injection system.
I haven't yet unboxed it, but i'll be installing it in the upcoming weeks.

s...w...e....e....t.....
Old 07-03-2018, 06:56 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

This will make the old-school guy happy. And look cool sticking thru your hood! https://www.ebay.com/p/60s-Chevy-350...65e95afffa96d0
Old 07-03-2018, 07:07 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
ahhh….what.....when was the last time you saw a EFI car go back to a carburetor???? roller cam/lifters and EFI have been the wave of the future for the 30 last years?
does it take some sophistication yes it does. edelbrock is a top brand company buy a book on understanding EFI and step into the future
Seen 1 or 2 guys here and a bunch on other forums go back to carbs. Was either failures of the EFI itself or lack of customer support.
The sniper system looks appealing..saw a FiTech system on a 55 chevy that looked simple/interesting. Cant see putting a couple grand in a fuel system on a car thats seldom driven. Carbs work just fine
Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

If it was me, then I would buy a system, that can control the ignition.

That ProFlo 4 looks good :- ))
Old 07-03-2018, 01:52 PM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I have experience with 3 EFI systems.

FiTech – put one on my buddies Jeep, 300hp 350cid. No issues just fired it right up and it runs great. We have not touched the base tune. Just letting it learn for now

Holley Sniper – Just put one on my 67 Camaro 425hp 427cid. Only issue so far is the timing control output died right before I was to leave for HRPT. So put in a new HEI dizzy, bypassed the Sniper controlling timing and ran the **** out of it. Let it tune itself and I averaged 12 mpg on the tour. I will be sending it back for repair soon but the car is too much fun to drive right now.

FAST XFI - Have one on my 73 Vette. Most complex set up by far, I was able to get it running on my own but had a professional dial it in for me. I do like it for this application.

I would recommend each one of these units for the purpose at hand. I would not put the XFI on that Jeep or my Camaro. Either the FiTech or Sniper I would say are interchangeable. But mind the differences in software, features, installation, and price. Each unit has Pro’s and Con’s that you need to sort out.

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 07-03-2018, 01:55 PM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wendellp601
I just took delivery of the new Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 multi-port fuel injection system.
I haven't yet unboxed it, but I'll be installing it in the upcoming weeks.

Please start a separate post and tell us how the install went and performance gained/suffered

Thanks
Old 07-03-2018, 02:01 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by BlowAMouse
Please start a separate post and tell us how the install went and performance gained/suffered

Thanks
Will do!

I'm out of town until Friday afternoon, but I plan on starting the project this weekend.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:42 PM
CiCiC3
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
At high rpm there could be 3 coils dwelling at the same time. Doing some calculations using dwell time, timing advance and rotational speed certainly shows how badly a distributor is at providing a decent dwell time to the coil.

Well, talk to an old school mechanic and he won't be in favor of using anything new school. The new self learning systems like the Sniper really are quite simple to use.

However, if you expect better fuel distribution from the EFI then you either need a better intake to put the TBI unit onto or you need to use port injection. Heck, possibly both - use a better intake and port injection.
I've heard TBIs don't work so well with modified BB's and L88 heads, not enough flow they say. The Edelbrock 2.0 dual plane intake I have is mostly the reason for uneven distribution what would work better?

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injection on a C3

Old 07-05-2018, 06:08 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I've heard TBIs don't work so well with modified BB's and L88 heads, not enough flow they say. The Edelbrock 2.0 dual plane intake I have is mostly the reason for uneven distribution what would work better?
You can get an aftermarket TBI that has enough flow for most street going big blocks. I don't know BB intakes to make a suggestion other than saying port injection would certainly have a much more even distribution.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:23 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
This will make the old-school guy happy. And look cool sticking thru your hood! https://www.ebay.com/p/60s-Chevy-350...65e95afffa96d0
Do want!
Old 07-06-2018, 08:31 PM
beneharris
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I didn't install it on my C3 yet, but I did put an MSD Atomic EFI on my FJ40 with a SBC swap. It has vortec heads, and has no troubles. It is actually a great system, I'm super happy with it. Install was easy, and the drive-ability improvements are worth the price of admission. Can't recommend that system enough.

Quick Reply: Fuel injection on a C3