C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Date stamp question: relative proximity across all components

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 12:38 PM
bddcustoms
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Date stamp question: relative proximity across all components

So here's a scenario I'd love the board's feedback on. It's mainly theoretical right now as I'm taking a look at a few 69s. What sellers are asking makes them great values, but I want to make sure I do the necessary inspection to validate claims of authenticity. I said all that to ask, what is the relative proximity in date ranges of the various engine components to the engine block date, as well as to each other? I understand that, for example a portion of the VIN on the block, matches what should be found on the transmission casing tag. But what about the components like heads, like manifolds, that are also date-stamped but do not carry a portion of the VIN in it's identification? How do the date stamps on these items correspond to the date on the Block? And what about to each other -- should both heads have the same or very close dates stamped? And the manifolds?

Anyway your thoughts would be appreciated.

DT
Old 08-01-2018, 06:15 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Within 6 months or so of the trim tag build date inside the door.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:48 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
Within 6 months or so of the trim tag build date inside the door.

I wouldn’t get too shook about the relative proximity of dates on parts that are not VIN stamped. These parts are not “matching” as there’s nothing to match. It’s great to have correct parts like alternators, radiators, etc but I wouldn’t get too excited about those dates, given the fact most of those parts are easily sourced and added.

Spend your time and effort on the block stamp and dates, and the condition of critical areas like the frame, birdcage and body.
The following users liked this post:
20mercury (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 12:10 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Agree and great advice here, IMO. Would add one thing, ...

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

I wouldn’t get too shook about the relative proximity of dates on parts that are not VIN stamped. These parts are not “matching” as there’s nothing to match. It’s great to have correct parts like alternators, radiators, etc but I wouldn’t get too excited about those dates, given the fact most of those parts are easily sourced and added.

Spend your time and effort on the block stamp and dates, and the condition of critical areas like the frame, birdcage and body.
Agree and great advice here, IMO. I would only add one thing though, if you are interested in getting and paying for an original engine, make sure the other vin stamped item, that is the transmission, is good too. The frame is vin stamped also but the two big ones for me are the engine and transmission.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:33 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

The major engine components are dated: block, heads, carb(s), distributor intake and exhaust manifolds, water pump, wiper motor, fan clutch, generator, starter, trans, rear. You could go nuts on some the other stuff like blower motor, seats, seat belts, gauges, etc. I would make sure the headlight washers are in place and working, being a one year only pump.

Get notified of new replies

To Date stamp question: relative proximity across all components

Quick Reply: Date stamp question: relative proximity across all components