C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problem, turn signal feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 03:41 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Default ' 72, Electrical problem, turn signal feedback

Suddenly got no turn signals, but both arrow indicators on the dash light up when the brake pedal is pressed. Brake lights in back work OK.
Where should I start to look for the problem? Would it be in the turn signal switch, or the ignition switch, or steering column wiring in general?

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 08-05-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:56 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Suddenly got no turn signals, but both arrow indicators on the dash light up when the brake pedal is pressed. Brake lights in back work OK.
Where should I start to look for the problem? Would it be in the turn signal switch, or the ignition switch, or steering column wiring in general?

Thanks,
Doug
First check your flasher then check your bulbs, sockets and grounds first. Sounds like getting ground from brakes when pushed. What year is your car?
Old 08-05-2018, 04:34 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by henrikse
First check your flasher then check your bulbs, sockets and grounds first. Sounds like getting ground from brakes when pushed. What year is your car?
'72, sorry about that.
IIRC, the turn signal flasher is on the pass side towards the kick panel under the dash? I can't hear it clicking, so I can't find it that way...

I can't see why both dash arrows light up when the brake pedal is pressed if it is flasher problem. i know the bulbs are good, otehr wise I wouldn't have brake lights in back.
Thanks,
Doug
Old 08-05-2018, 04:49 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Default electrical

'72, sorry about that.
IIRC, the turn signal flasher is on the pass side towards the kick panel under the dash? I can't hear it clicking, so I can't find it that way...

I can't see why both dash arrows light up when the brake pedal is pressed if it is flasher problem. i know the bulbs are good, otehr wise I wouldn't have brake lights in back.
Thanks,
Doug
You say the lights are good but brake light is different filament than turn signal and front bulbs are known good. If socket is bad or bulb is twisted and contacting both pigtail connections weird stuff can happen. I am only suggesting checking the basics first. Flasher I believe is on left side 8 inches from courtesy light and 4 way is on fuse block.
Other source is the large steering column connector at bottom of column. Make sure it is mated and together. Also you can use test l;ight here and see what you are getting on turn signal wires.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

'72, sorry about that.

I can't see why both dash arrows light up when the brake pedal is pressed if it is flasher problem. i know the bulbs are good, otherwise I wouldn't have brake lights in back.
Thanks,
Doug

Sounds like you are missing a ground on the rear of your car. The flasher only works when current is pulled through it- no ground- or too much resistance to ground -it won't work.

If you have no ground-when you hit the brake lights- it finds one through the turn signal filament in the back then travels all the through to the dash lights and uses the ground in your dash.

Electricity not only follows the path to least resistance- but ALL paths!!!
Old 08-05-2018, 06:43 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Bad grounds have caused feedback probs for me in other cars over the decades. I assume there is a common harness ground in back, somewhere? I will have to get the car on a lift, most likely.
Doug
Old 08-05-2018, 08:28 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Your emergency flashers are on but the flasher is bad, when you step on the brake it backfeeds through the signal switch to the dash indicators.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:19 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by '75
Your emergency flashers are on but the flasher is bad, when you step on the brake it backfeeds through the signal switch to the dash indicators.
Ahh -good call...I'm going to say maybe the hazard switch is stuck somewhere between on and off.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:33 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by '75
You get 100 points! That was it.
Thanks,
Doug
The following users liked this post:
'75 (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:48 PM
walt4805
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,
Doug
I had the issue in my 68 where the BRIGHT light would come on when you're using low beams, and the left turn would stay on. Behind the dash a ground unhooked that was grounded to the back of the speedometer.. Hooked it back on and fixed that problem.

Last edited by walt4805; 08-06-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:01 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Stuff like this happens when the GF drives the car.... But, at least now I know the 4 way flasher is bad.

Side note: I had a '66 Impala SS 427 with TH400 back, oh, 1974-'79, and the dash lights went wonkers (dash lights went dark, turn arrows lit up). This car had that laminates circuit board type wiring panel, and the connector that plugged into it could be wiggled to make the dash lights come on as normal. probably some sort of bad ground back then too, but i got rid of the car when I graduated from college in '79. I kept the '61 Corvette, but the Impala had to go as moving it 1500 miles would have been a problem. Right about the second gas crisis time, I got $400 for the car., never wrecked, no rust, 80K miles, nobody wanted big motors. Ah, well..

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical problem, turn signal feedback

Quick Reply: Electrical problem, turn signal feedback