C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'69 Convertible Wiring Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 162 Posts
Default '69 Convertible Wiring Issues

So I went and bought a nice 69 convertible that has a solid clean frame with only minor surface rust on the birdcage. I was pretty satisfied with the purchase and wanted to start the restoration on the
interior this year, with the dash and instrument cluster budgeted for next year. Right away I replaced some of the headlight and wiper door vacuum switches and the headlight actuator relay. Then I noticed
the wiper door override switch was missing, and even worse, the Red wire with White tracer wire that hooks to one side of the switch was missing. One of the previous owners over the past 49 years took
it upon himself to show off his electrical skills by replacing the wire harnesses original wire color code with some aftermarket solid wires on a few repairs, making hunting the right wire down behind the dash very difficult.
So after a few days of searching and looking, I found the solid red wire that I can use to hook to one side of the wiper door override switch, but have never found the red with white tracer wire. The wiring diagram
shows this wire going into the wiper motor, and since I don't have the budget to tear the dash apart (which is what I'd have to do to try to find his splices) this year, I thought I would get it working for this year
by locating the red with white tracer wire near the wiper motor.

Below is what I found under the hood on the firewall.

My question is do you think it would be OK to tap into this Red with white tracer wire here and run it into the inside so I can get my wiper override switch to operate properly? For the life of me, I cannot locate this wire on the inside.

Below I have a pic of some of the wiring I am trying to straighten out under the dash. I came across this light socket laying about - is this the remains of my courtesy light? The courtesy light holder is gone so I'll have to
get another, but again that will happen on next years budget.

When tracing out the Red wire with White tracer under the hood, I found that one segment went into the item below - is this some sort of relay? Can anyone ID this part?

Finally (aren't you glad you don't have these types of wiring issues?) what is the item below?
Sorry for all the questions, but my books I ordered for C3 Corvette restoration have not yet arrived.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:56 AM
Makitso
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

That is the stop for the wiper door cover.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:06 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

OP: Ask a mod to move this to the C3 Forum - you'll get better results.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,775 Likes on 4,195 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Moved to C3 Section.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:42 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

the bracket is a confirmation switch, (switch is under the cover )looking for the signal once the Wiper door cover has moved into the Fully open position, once signals pass thru your wiper motor can turn on.
if switch is Not made, wipers will not turn on.

Last edited by 69Vett; 09-14-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:46 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks all! :-)

Get notified of new replies

To '69 Convertible Wiring Issues

Quick Reply: '69 Convertible Wiring Issues