C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right Blinker Sticking on '81

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 12:19 AM
NateAggs
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Right Blinker Sticking on '81

Hey guys, I'm new to doing maintenance myself on my '81 vette. Right now, my right blinker is sticking. The bulb works on the dash, but it stays lit and doesn't blink.

I did a walk around of the car, the left blinker works great on the front left, left-side, and left rear. When I switch it to the right blinker, I get no lights on the front right, right-side, and right rear. When I turn on the hazards, the left blinkers blink, and the front right and right side blinker blink, but not the rear blinker.

Does anybody know what's happening? My assumption is there is a bad relay.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:06 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by NateAggs
Hey guys, I'm new to doing maintenance myself on my '81 vette. Right now, my right blinker is sticking. The bulb works on the dash, but it stays lit and doesn't blink.

I did a walk around of the car, the left blinker works great on the front left, left-side, and left rear. When I switch it to the right blinker, I get no lights on the front right, right-side, and right rear. When I turn on the hazards, the left blinkers blink, and the front right and right side blinker blink, but not the rear blinker.

Turn on the parking lamps to see if any of the bulbs are burnt out.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:23 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by NateAggs
Hey guys, I'm new to doing maintenance myself on my '81 vette. Right now, my right blinker is sticking. The bulb works on the dash, but it stays lit and doesn't blink.I did a walk around of the car, the left blinker works great on the front left, left-side, and left rear. When I switch it to the right blinker, I get no lights on the front right, right-side, and right rear. When I turn on the hazards, the left blinkers blink, and the front right and right side blinker blink, but not the rear blinker.
Just had something similar. Turn signals OK with lights off. Turn on the headlights and the passenger side low beam was dim and the right turn arrow lit up solid and the front turn signal bulb did not work. It actually did still blink but so slowly it was hard to even notice. Poor ground and it's shared between the low beam and the directional - at least on mine. I pulled the connector off the back of the headlight and when I cleaned off the crud one of the pins was dirty and pushed back in the connector. A little cleanup and it's fine now.

The hazard relay and the blinker relays are separate. On my 69 one is on the fuse block and the other is just under the passenger side dash in a bracket. From what you described I might start with the hazards and check out that right rear socket & bulb

Old 08-12-2018, 08:35 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Have you changed the fluid? The old stuff will cause all sorts of issues when it gets old and the "crick, crick" additive goes south.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:27 PM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

change the bulbs, odds are you have a broken filament that is intermitantly connecting, the flasher is a possibility but I cant ever recall one that went bad unles there was serious electrical short in the system. even if the bulb looks good doesn't mean the filament isn't broken inside.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:38 PM
NateAggs
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

@sambrand That was it! One of the bulbs was bad, and then I also found out that I had a poor grounding connection to the rear blinker. Thanks for the help!

Get notified of new replies

To Right Blinker Sticking on '81

Quick Reply: Right Blinker Sticking on '81