C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on headers and plug angle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:40 AM
gil7247
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking for advice on headers and plug angle?

I am getting things together for my Alum head roller cam update to my 1980 L48 for this off season (Michigan winter). I plan on going to a roller cam in the .500" range and some 180cc alum heads. I figured while I had it apart I also would replace my old tired/ rusty headers. I am looking for advice on a good fitting long tube header that comes in either ceramic coat or stainless. Also on that point I have the option of either straight plug or angled plug heads and I'm not sure which way to go or what the pros and cons of the 2 types are. One more related question is with 1.5 to 1 roller rockers will I have to go to tall valve covers with this set up? All advice will be appreciated as always. I have gotten some great advice from all the expertise on this forum, you all have helped me tremendously with this project. Thanks Gil
Old 08-26-2018, 08:42 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd go with Hedmann ceramic coated long tube headers and straight plug heads. Less issues with clearance between the headers and plugs. If you are running flat-top pistons, straight or angled no real advantage:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp...tion-chambers/

Plus, with angled, you will have to spend more on headers to get the clearance.

Last edited by TedH; 08-26-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: clarification
The following users liked this post:
gil7247 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 08:55 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by gil7247
I am getting things together for my Alum head roller cam update to my 1980 L48 for this off season (Michigan winter). I plan on going to a roller cam in the .500" range and some 180cc alum heads. I figured while I had it apart I also would replace my old tired/ rusty headers. I am looking for advice on a good fitting long tube header that comes in either ceramic coat or stainless. Also on that point I have the option of either straight plug or angled plug heads and I'm not sure which way to go or what the pros and cons of the 2 types are. One more related question is with 1.5 to 1 roller rockers will I have to go to tall valve covers with this set up? All advice will be appreciated as always. I have gotten some great advice from all the expertise on this forum, you all have helped me tremendously with this project. Thanks Gil
I'm running basically the same combination. I use 1 5/8" Hooker Competition headers. My heads are straight plug AFR 180cc. The headers fit very well and are a breeze to install. I realize that there are plenty of brands out there. This is what I chose went I built my engine and just stuck with them. Do not get the Hooker coating on the headers as Hooker's coating is crap. I bought the painted version and sent them out to Jet Hot to have a quality coating put on them.

1.5:1 rockers are the stock ratio. You shouldn't need tall valve covers unless you purchase some of the roller rocker arms.

Craig

gil7247 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:42 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

It has been my experience with lots of different heads that I has nothing to do with the angle of the plug per say, but the actual casting placement of the plug in relationship to the exhaust ports

I had 186 heads with 1 5/8th headman headers then 292 angle plug hooker SC headers 1 3/4. Then I went to dart. .600 raised port angle plugs. Never a problem and then I bought AFR and it is hard to even install the plugs and I had to dent my headers for the plug wires so for great flow it came at a small cost.
to me heads are a lifetime purchase and can be used on many future motor combinations. So my advice is to think about that 383, 400, or 427 coming up next
Old 08-26-2018, 10:15 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

My $.02 is straight plug heads will work and fit straight plug headers. You have one less thing to deal with now and down the road. Might cost a few HP ....but not much.

The roller rockers frequently need tall valve covers. There are some locknuts that allow short covers with roller rockers but not as common. It can be done. I have used (like) the cast steel roller tips and they will fit without modifications, but the spring loads you need are likely too high for those rockers.

My $.04 - Angle plug heads and roller rockers have their place. If you were needing every last 10 HP you want to look for it. If you have no rules restrictions, more cubes is a better way to get there. Blower is a close second behind cubes. (maybe do all three )

Truth - If you were REALLY needing every last HP with no restrictions, LS based motor makes it much easier than a Gen 1. I have both, and each have their place.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:56 AM
gil7247
Advanced

Originally Posted by stingr69
My $.02 is straight plug heads will work and fit straight plug headers. You have one less thing to deal with now and down the road. Might cost a few HP ....but not much.

The roller rockers frequently need tall valve covers. There are some locknuts that allow short covers with roller rockers but not as common. It can be done. I have used (like) the cast steel roller tips and they will fit without modifications, but the spring loads you need are likely too high for those rockers.

My $.04 - Angle plug heads and roller rockers have their place. If you were needing every last 10 HP you want to look for it. If you have no rules restrictions, more cubes is a better way to get there. Blower is a close second behind cubes. (maybe do all three )

Truth - If you were REALLY needing every last HP with no restrictions, LS based motor makes it much easier than a Gen 1. I have both, and each have their place.
Thanks for the advice, I am not looking for max HP, rather a nice running engine that puts a smile on my face. I am totally cool with giving up a couple horses for zero headaches.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:56 AM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

I would stick with your plan as-is, go with straight plugs and I went with Doug's Headers (ceramic coated) and they fit beautifully with plenty of boot clearance, etc. I have read lots of good feedback on Hooker and Doug's. Good idea on AFR 180's ... whatever you do, avoid the Dart SHP (I am running them, they made decent power, but struggled with pushrod geometry and interference -- BS for new heads that you spend this kind of money on). I used a Howard's roller (I know there are various out there) and very happy with the motor.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:25 AM
gil7247
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoeMinnesota
I would stick with your plan as-is, go with straight plugs and I went with Doug's Headers (ceramic coated) and they fit beautifully with plenty of boot clearance, etc. I have read lots of good feedback on Hooker and Doug's. Good idea on AFR 180's ... whatever you do, avoid the Dart SHP (I am running them, they made decent power, but struggled with pushrod geometry and interference -- BS for new heads that you spend this kind of money on). I used a Howard's roller (I know there are various out there) and very happy with the motor.
Thanks Joe, I plan on a Howards roller set up for mine something in the neighborhood of .485 to .500" lift. My L48 had a complete and well done rebuilt shortly before I bought the car so I am just making changes to the cam heads and valve train for now. I plan on staying with my Edelbrock performer intake and holley 750 as well. I may give you a holler for advice as I go thru this as it appears our goals and builds will be very similar. Gil
Old 08-26-2018, 03:13 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Straight plug. There has never been a shred of evidence supporting angle plug designs..........especially now with the kidney bean fast burn chambers that most manufactures use now.
I have Dart Pro 1 Platinums on my 72' with straight plug and a 30 year old pair of Hedman Headers.....everything fits perfect and easily accessible.
I have run Comp Pro Magnum roller rockers with stock LT-1 valve covers as the body of these rockers is relatively small. If using a Scorpion or Lunati rocker with a big fat body.....you will need extra thick valve cover gaskets. It is hit or miss whether or not you will have to remove the dripper tabs on the inside of the covers as this is dictated more by the length of the pushrod which will raise or lower the whole rocker and poly lock. My rollers fit on my flat tappet deal......but roller stuff is taller. It also depends on what heads you buy....the AFR has a really high valve cover rail.......the Dart does too but not so much. You will have to mock it up and see.

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 08-26-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:13 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by gil7247
Thanks Joe, I plan on a Howards roller set up for mine something in the neighborhood of .485 to .500" lift. My L48 had a complete and well done rebuilt shortly before I bought the car so I am just making changes to the cam heads and valve train for now. I plan on staying with my Edelbrock performer intake and holley 750 as well. I may give you a holler for advice as I go thru this as it appears our goals and builds will be very similar. Gil
I am running a Howard's hydraulic roller cam. It's weird how similar our combinations are. I will say that the cam I have says it only revs to 4800 rpm in the Howard's catalog. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but the lift is right at .500. The duration at .50 is under 220 degrees on exhaust and intake. I've had the engine up to 6000 rpm and she was wanting more. I have a Holley Ultra 670 vac sec carb. This combo nets me some excellent drivability around town and power when wanted.

gil7247 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 04:42 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

I have the Super Comp Side exhaust with angle plugs and I love em, I doubt they do anything for my HP and honestly I don't care if they did or didn't... having them angle away from the center primaries makes life sooooo much easier when doing plugs and wires
gil7247 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 06:41 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

I used Harlan Sharps 1.5 to 1 roller rockers under the stock tin painted valve covers on my 69 and also under stock C4 84 magnesium valve covers mounted on Dart Pro 1s. T

Last edited by terrys6t8roadster; 08-27-2018 at 06:44 AM.
gil7247 (08-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice on headers and plug angle?

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on headers and plug angle?