C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Both, yes both doors are shut and unable to pen them

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 02:58 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Both, yes both doors are shut and unable to pen them

Hello forum members. Both yes both doors on my 79 are shut closed and I'm unable to open them. I have spent a good part of two hours doing a search on this forum. I narrowed the search to just 78-82 cars as the inner mechanisms although similar but different. I cannot get into the vehicle to try the push down on the "override" tab on the door latch, due to the windows being up. The passenger door does not open from using the inside door handle. The doorknob lock rod does move to lock or unlock position when you pull on it. The outside passenger handle sags and does nothing when you press on it with your fingers. I have tried the hitting the t-tops with a rubber hammer to pop the latch, no go on that too. I ended the up locking the driver's door by pushing the doorknob lock rod into the lock position and pulled it to the unlock position (so I thought) and when I closed the door, it could not open it, the outside door handle works but does not open the door. The lock keys for either door do nothing when I turn them. I cannot even do the unlocking the door with the oil dipstick trick. With all of that said, any suggestions on how I can get in the vehicle first before trying the other "tricks"

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 10-12-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:02 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Just to clarify... neither lock mechanism works? Or you don’t think your key is the right key? Does the key rotate 45 degrees to either side of vertical on either door lock? If it’s the right key and doesn’t want to turn, you can be very gentle with some pliers and force it over. I’ve had to do that when I first got my c3. That day I I started to rebuild the entire handle/lock system.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:01 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Hello forum members. Both yes both doors on my 79 are shut closed and I'm unable to open them. I have spent a good part of two hours doing a search on this forum. I narrowed the search to just 78-82 cars as the inner mechanisms although similar but different. I cannot get into the vehicle to try the push down on the "override" tab on the door latch, due to the windows being up. The passenger door does not open from using the inside door handle. The doorknob lock rod does move to lock or unlock position when you pull on it. The outside passenger handle sags and does nothing when you press on it with your fingers. I have tried the hitting the t-tops with a rubber hammer to pop the latch, no go on that too. I ended the up locking the driver's door by pushing the doorknob lock rod into the lock position and pulled it to the unlock position (so I thought) and when I closed the door, it could not open it, the outside door handle works but does not open the door. The lock keys for either door do nothing when I turn them. I cannot even do the unlocking the door with the oil dipstick trick. With all of that said, any suggestions on how I can get in the vehicle first before trying the other "tricks"
Old 10-12-2018, 05:12 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

The lock mechanism cannot unlock if the outer door handle is out of adjustment or sagging. Try hooking a small wire or something under the outer handle and raise it up to the normal position, then try unlocking with the key.
Hope it works, that's all I got!
Old 10-12-2018, 05:20 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

D

drill a hole here and you’ll see a little tab you can push down with a screwdriver to open the door.
as far as breaking into your vette, you need to force the window down enough to pull it outwards. Then use a coat hanger or something to pull the T Top release.
​​​​​​​i hope this helps?
Old 10-13-2018, 03:29 AM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

A shot of WD40 thru into the outside key lock opening?

Redvette2
Old 10-15-2018, 08:50 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Got in through t tops. Used plastic wedge to seperate window from A pillar, (passenger side) then using a hook tool to hook t top handle unlatching it, than used a long prybar to pull t top latch handle down completely. Once I got the top off, I tried to open the door with the inside handle (door was in unlocked position) but did not open. So I reached over with the long prybar to the driver's side t top latch to pull it down, removing the t top. I then reached into vehicle, pushed the door latch to the unlock position (door panel was already removed) thus opening door from the inside. I sprayed both ldoor latches with a hood amount of WD40 and both doors work smoothly. The passenger side door handle now has a slight sag. When I get chance I will remove both latches and clean and lube thoroughly.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 10-15-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:02 AM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Wow! Queue Mussion Impossible music! Well done. Congrats!

I only had this happen on my passenger side door and wd40 applied liberally and using a screw driver on the latch from the inside was the key. I can’t imagine the professional, yet very slow, car theif process you just had to go through.

Adam
Old 10-15-2018, 01:06 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

I would suggest that you soak the mechanisms in degreased and apply some fresh chassis grease. Rebuild your door system entirely too.

It’s a good time to do it. Since you have it out and apart...

-Stroke
Old 10-15-2018, 02:23 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,127 Likes on 731 Posts

For those with removable rear windows, I was advised by a local corvette parts store owner that he was able to kick the rear window in, as the lower hooks are basically pot metal. That would certainly be out of desperation.

Last edited by ignatz; 10-15-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:45 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
Got in through t tops. Used plastic wedge to seperate window from A pillar, (passenger side) then using a hook tool to hook t top handle unlatching it, than used a long prybar to pull t top latch handle down completely. Once I got the top off, I tried to open the door with the inside handle (door was in unlocked position) but did not open. So I reached over with the long prybar to the driver's side t top latch to pull it down, removing the t top. I then reached into vehicle, pushed the door latch to the unlock position (door panel was already removed) thus opening door from the inside. I sprayed both ldoor latches with a hood amount of WD40 and both doors work smoothly. The passenger side door handle now has a slight sag. When I get chance I will remove both latches and clean and lube thoroughly.
Yahoo....now leave one of the windows down for a while!

Redvette2
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 AM
User-C3
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

my doors were having the same issue. I pulled the door panels off and the covers over the mechanism and soaked them entirely with lubricant, fixed the issue, everything needs to be lubricated over time.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:01 AM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Make sure the spring on the bottom of the handle is not broken. The door lock will not unlock all the time if its broken.

Get notified of new replies

To Both, yes both doors are shut and unable to pen them

Quick Reply: Both, yes both doors are shut and unable to pen them