Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Speedometer Cable

Old 11-04-2018, 04:50 AM
Brierfield

Default Speedometer Cable

I am looking to replace the speedometer cable on 1972 Stingray Convertible with a 4 speed automatic transmission. In looking at parts catelogues they list both an upper and lower speedometer cable. Question: are there two separate speedometer cables? I am away on international travel so I can not simply crawl under the car and looks. Thanks for any help I can get from anyone. Much appreciated!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2018, 06:57 AM
speedreed8
CF Senior Member

Upper and lower are for cars with cruise control.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:19 AM
62corvette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brierfield View Post
I am looking to replace the speedometer cable on 1972 Stingray Convertible with a 4 speed automatic transmission. In looking at parts catelogues they list both an upper and lower speedometer cable. Question: are there two separate speedometer cables? I am away on international travel so I can not simply crawl under the car and looks. Thanks for any help I can get from anyone. Much appreciated!!!!!!
I am not sure what kind of trans you have if you truly have a 4 speed automatic—1972 automatics were originally turbo 400s, which were three speed automatics. Those used a two-piece speedometer cable, and that was prior to cruise control being an available option. So yes, there are two speedo cables used on your car from the factory.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:11 AM
Brierfield

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did have a four speed transmission put in to replace the three speed transmission before I moved the car to England for better gas mileage. I have ordered both speedometer cables. Thanks again for your help, greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speedometer Cable

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: