C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 383 project

Old 11-08-2018, 01:27 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Default My 383 project

Well I figured I'd do a thread on my engine upgrade I recently completed. I had a decent engine in the car but I wanted more power (don't we all) and I had always wanted to build a 383 for it. So I finally pulled the trigger in September and ordered a Blueprint 383 short block (no heads). The original plan was to reuse as much as I could from my old engine to try to save $$$. After getting started, I found out I would have to machine my old Dart Pro1 heads so I nixed that and bought Blueprint's heads for it. The Dart heads were set up for a flat tappet cam and needed springs and machining to get them to the correct installed height. So I ended up buying a lot of stuff and going over my budget but... um whatever. Credit card is almost at it's limit lol. Lots of boxes from Summit Racing, a few free hats which I gave away as gifts. Anyways it was a GREAT project and a lot of fun. I did a lot of research on buying versus building the bottom end and decided I didn't really want to tackle that part of it. Besides all of the positive reviews for the BP engines and the price, it's hard to beat. The block is new and made in USA. There really is so many more things than you initially think of when doing this project. Just between new bolts and stuff it adds up. What happened as I went along was, once you start adding some new stuff, all the old stuff looks crappy. So I ended up painting a lot of brackets and getting new bolts, which I am happy I did because it looks awesome now.

The other thing I added, which was a 'while I'm at it' was adding a Borgeson steering box. My old assist cylinder was leaking and I was looking at prices for a new one and they were around $180 and the one in there was only three years old so … on the credit card it went! That was a real easy install since the engine bay was empty.

I also almost didn't paint the engine bay but decided to since I was waiting on parts at the time. And I am glad I did, it looks great and was very easy. It probably took me an hour, and that was mostly cleaning. Just did the suspension stuff gloss black and did the firewall flat black. It's amazing what a coat of paint does. For now I am using my old Edelbrock 650 and it is running great, but I plan on getting the Eddy 800 AVS2 when it comes out. So I was able to reuse my existing fuel line I fabbed for the old engine along with filter, regulator and all that.

Installing the engine was actually pretty easy and went in without a hitch. And I had never done this before. The Harbor Freight 2 ton crane worked perfectly. I had a little trouble stabbing the transmission (TKO 600) in from the bottom but I eventually got it once I looked in and saw the clutch plate was off center.

Here are some pics of the build and install:

The crate!

On the stand

Out with the old

The empty engine bay

Borgeson unit in

After paint

Had to bend one arm of the Z bar to clear the Borgeson unit (from a forum thread - thanks)

Getting the pulleys figured out. Had to shim out the power steering pump a little.

Last edited by jim-81; 11-08-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:32 PM
jim-81
Drifting

More pics...

Installing the Z bar stud

Test fitting the headers - no problems

I ended up not going with these valve covers as beautiful as they are, the color of red doesn't match the car, so I went with black. They were also a ridiculous $255 at that point I was like ok whatever...
Old 11-08-2018, 01:36 PM
jim-81
Drifting

The really cool gold header wrap lol

And it's in

Time for a drive
The following 2 users liked this post by jim-81:
ajrothm (11-10-2018), gjohnson (05-11-2020)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:42 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

COngrats, which one did you get? Details?
Awaiting your driving impressions. Sometimes its easier to order up what ya need and move on to the next thing.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:45 PM
jim-81
Drifting

OK so how is it?

AWESOME.

Has tons more power, lots of low end torque. Sounds and runs perfectly. It actually fired right up, which was pretty incredible. Do I actually know what I'm doing? lol.. It felt like it. No leaks or issues either. Let me tell you I was stoked the day I fired it up. My wife was like haha you're like a little kid.

Driving it, it feels like it has the power that the car always should have had. I haven't gotten on it hard but it pulls a lot harder than it did before. They say this combo makes 430 HP, so I am figuring it is around that. I am surprised at how good the Eddy 650 carb works with no adjustments from the old motor. As I said before I am planning on getting the 800 AVS2 when it comes out in a couple months. The Edelbrock has treated me well so I will stick with them. Plus I have the jets and needles and stuff.

Anyways, that's it. Like I said it was a FUN project. Every day at work I couldn't wait till I got home and got into the garage. I would begrudgingly come in around 8 to wolf down some dinner then get back out there. So we will see how it holds up but I expect no problems. We are supposed to get a ton of snow this weekend so my driving days could be over but at least I got a taste of it. Now what will I do all winter? … wife wants me to redo the bathroom... ugh
The following users liked this post:
cardo0 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 04:16 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

LOOKIN GOOD! now enjoy
Old 11-09-2018, 12:34 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Looks good. The solid motor mounts are a good idea.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:13 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Unless your primary pipes are made out of SS you should remove the header wrap
Old 11-09-2018, 04:49 PM
wajulia
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Great job -- that looks like fun, I need to do it someday. A little off the thread topic, but the color of that car is exquisite!!
Old 11-09-2018, 08:28 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,254 Likes on 3,902 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I love this picture, it looks like a Summit christmas card
Old 11-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

CONGRATS!
Nice story Jim. Great pictures too.
I honestly can't remember how the L48 performed before I built and installed the 383 in my '73. All I know is how wonderful the car performs now.
Enjoy it my friend.

Steve
Old 11-10-2018, 05:05 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sweet! I loved my 383 project very much too, so I can imagine the fun you must have had

Looks very clean! Wish you many happy miles cruising
Old 11-10-2018, 05:19 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Nice job! It looks great. I bet its a blast to drive now. Congrats!!
Old 11-10-2018, 07:28 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Nice project..must have been fun and exciting once you got the motor running?

You mentioned you bought the BP short block and later BP heads. What are the specs of the short block (compression, 4 bolt main, roller cam) and the cam specs? What do you think it makes for Gross HP? I know that the dressed BP 383 is spec at 420 Gross HP and 450 TQ. Is your engine the same and also would you have just bought the complete 383 knowing now that you you needed to purchase their heads anyway?

Car must be a hoot now....

Last edited by jb78L-82; 11-10-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:59 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers

I love this picture, it looks like a Summit christmas card
Ha yes! It was Summit Christmas time for a few weeks. Wife was getting worried with all the boxes coming. And she only saw half of them. I had to take a picture of the garage! And that's a cat in the lower right, not a raccoon!

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Nice project..must have been fun and exciting once you got the motor running?

You mentioned you bought the BP short block and later BP heads. What are the specs of the short block (compression, 4 bolt main, roller cam) and the cam specs? What do you think it makes for Gross HP? I know that the dressed BP 383 is spec at 420 Gross HP and 450 TQ. Is your engine the same and also would you have just bought the complete 383 knowing now that you you needed to purchase their heads anyway?

Car must be a hoot now....
Here is a link to the short block: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp38318sp It's a four bolt main, one piece seal, externally balanced block. Crank is cast steel. 10:1 compression, should be around 430 HP. Yeah, looking back I could have just gotten the long block, or dressed block, whatever they call it. But it was no problem putting the heads and intake on. So it should basically be the same performance as their assembled long block. Drove it again yesterday and man, what a hoot!
The following 2 users liked this post by jim-81:
Bill Chase (07-09-2021), jb78L-82 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 09:16 AM
jim-81
Drifting

One thing I didn't mention is that the clutch, despite being a stiffer (higher rated HP) clutch is now EASIER to push. And I'm thinking this has to do with changing the geometry of the linkage. I looked at it and thought it seemed like it should be more 'upright' (more of a right angle) so I adjusted the HEIM joints on the linkage and it must have worked. The clutch I am using is a McLeod super street pro, which is rated to 500 HP. The one I replaced (which I will be selling) was rated for 400. So that was pretty cool. I was a little worried about it being harder (or too hard) to press but not so. The adjustable HEIM joints on the linkage is an awesome feature. Not sure where I got it from maybe Speed direct, or corvette central. I did have this same linkage in with the previous clutch but must not have had it adjusted quite right. So another benefit.

Clutch: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-75221
Old 11-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,254 Likes on 3,902 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I'm going to the same clutch, I went by checking the boxes on the summit site to get the correct fitting Mcleod clkutch, I didnt realize its rated for 300 hp. I had many a start this summer with the smell of clutch wafting into the car. I will be giving that away to anyone thats just got a stock 327. I think its still in decent shape. I'll find out next month

Get notified of new replies

To My 383 project

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 383 project