C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filler cap or push-in breather

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:55 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22
Default Oil filler cap or push-in breather

Forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse again -
I'm trying to "clean-up" things on my 1972 C3 that are not "correct" or just in need of replacement.
I have the base 350/200hp engine w/ 4speed, no AC. My LEFT side valve cover has the PCV and Oil filler.
My RIGHT side has the breather tube leading to the flame arrestor in the dual snorkel air cleaner.
The car came to me with a push-in type breather in place of the oil filler cap.
Are there any positives or negatives in keeping the breather or replacing the original rubber oil filler cap?
As far as I know, a breather and PCV valve should not reside on the same valve cover.
Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by fastimes; 11-18-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:35 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by fastimes
Forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse again -
I'm trying to "clean-up" things on my 1972 C3 that are not "correct" or just in need of replacement.
I have the base 350/200hp engine w/ 4speed, no AC. My right side valve cover has the PCV and Oil filler.
My left side has the breather tube leading to the flame arrestor in the dual snorkel air cleaner.
The car came to me with a push-in type breather in place of the oil filler cap.
Is there any positives or negatives in keeping the breather or replacing the original rubber oil filler cap?
As far as I knew, a breather and PCV valve should not reside on the same valve cover.
Any input is appreciated.

You are correct. Sounds like the way it’s setup now your pcv will not be working properly. The breather or connection to the intake is a fresh air entrance for the pcv. The dirty pcv side goes to the carb. Most engines I have seen have the clean air and oil fil in the same cover. This is also normally on the passenger side.

Last edited by Sigforty; 11-18-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:57 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

On my '71 non-A/C 4 speed car (now a ZZ4 350 but I've kept it as stock looking as possible) the PVC is on the left valve cover and there is a hose running from the fuel vapor canister behind the left wheel well up the a "t" at the PVC then it runs to the front of the carb. On the right valve cover is the breather tube going to the bottom of the air cleaner where the flame arrester is.
Left side - You can see the PVC valve and the Vapor can hoses.

Right side - ridged curved pipe then a rubber tube going to the bottom of the air cleaner. Note the ZZ4 has the oil level dip stick on the passenger side.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:17 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I Just corrected myself. Holy cow! My apologies. The PCV and breather are in the Left Valve cover. The breathe tube to the air cleaner on the right.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:26 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

That would mean the PCV is mainly drawing it's fresh air from just a few inches away. Remove the breath and it will suck though the crankcase.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:01 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by fastimes
I Just corrected myself. Holy cow! My apologies. The PCV and breather are in the Left Valve cover. The breathe tube to the air cleaner on the right.
Need to switch one of them around if you can. Pcv will not work properly the way you have it.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:33 AM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys, I thought it was incorrect. Now I'm wondering if the breather was placed for another purpose.
I've read elsewhere on the interwebs that replacing the cap with a breather will reduced crankcase vacuum, thereby relieving existing oil leaks.
I guess the reduction in pressure does not allow the oil to force itself through a faulty gasket.
The car is "fairly" oil leak free. Literally 1 or 2 drops parked in the same spot for 2 weeks.
There's only one way to tell. I'll replace the oil cap and see what happens.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil filler cap or push-in breather

Quick Reply: Oil filler cap or push-in breather