C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocation of Alternator to Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 02:01 AM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Relocation of Alternator to Passenger Side

G'day All,
I am thinking of relocating my alternator to the right side of the engine, so it will make an air conditioning install simpler, as my '69 is RHD.
I have been looking on the net for a set of brackets to complete this change, but there are so many different types out there and none
of them show a C3 installation as such. Does anyone know of a set of brackets that work on a C3 that are compatible with the std fuel
delivery lines and filter on a small block with a short wp?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Mark
Old 11-20-2018, 02:13 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Where will you mount the A/C compressor?
Old 11-20-2018, 03:45 AM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

The A/C compressor will be located in the current position of the alternator.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:43 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You might try these guys. In Louisburg Kansas, a bit of a distance from you. No idea if they have anything that would work for your application. I have used them on other projects, and I can say the things they make a high quality,

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/Catalog.htm
The following users liked this post:
M A Fry (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 03:03 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Camaro, Nova and pickups had them mounted on the pass side.........but I think they were all long water pump stuff. Worth a look!
Here is a pic of a Yenko Deuce Nova 1970.......it appears this has a short pump on it....but Vettes are kinda in between.....so some modification may be in order.

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 11-20-2018 at 03:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
M A Fry (11-20-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 12:31 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I doubt you'll find anything off the shelf since the C3 accessory drive belt location (distance from front of engine) is specific to the C3. To keep the C3 crank, water pump and power steering pulleys/brackets you'd need new alternator brackets that basically mirror the C3 left side alternator brackets. Any brackets made for a standard short or long water pump application would put the alternator in the wrong location and not line up.

As already pointed out, late 60's on Chevy's had long water pumps and put the alternator on the right side. But, that alternator location won't work for a short pump or the C3 accessory drive. The belt can't be closer to the block since the alternator bolt that goes through the pivot boss on the alternator threads into the head, meaning the alternator can't be moved backwards. You could use that mounting, but you would have to change the whole accessory drive setup including using a long water pump. This would also likely mean losing the mechanical fan and running electrics since the mechanical would end up too far into the shroud.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:46 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Have you considered C2 exhaust manifolds? There's bunches of options and you can always fabricate and easy bracket to bolt onto the generator support there... here's a picture of a couple:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-Chevy-3...-/261851471464

I thought about it because I'm going from headers to RamHorns at the present time. I got some without brackets because I don't need them, but I considered it for my a/c bracket....but it was easy enough to just modify my bracket to fit around the ramhorns. It is also easy enough to modify alternator and a/c brackets to move forward and aft as desired to align with your existing pulleys.

You can also buy them separately in case you want to buy one with an alternator bracket on the drivers side also.... not sure what "center" alignment works better with your a/c bracket....but you'd want to check on that.

Last edited by carriljc; 11-21-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Relocation of Alternator to Passenger Side

Quick Reply: Relocation of Alternator to Passenger Side