C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Prefer a Rag joint or u-joint ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 09:41 PM
jpattt24
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Do Prefer a Rag joint or u-joint ?

Do you prefer a rag joint or u-joint on the steering coupler. I would think that a rag joint would have less vibration in the steering wheel. but I see a lot of cars using the u-joint as in the pic. and is the u-joint designed to be a direct replacement for the rag joint meaning are they the same length ? thanks jp

Old 11-29-2018, 09:54 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Rag joints will absorb some vibration, especially with borgenson style steering boxes where the PS pump is involved (unlike the c3 box) but are meant for straight alignment shafts and not meant to deal with angles or shafts that are not co-linear. U-joints are transmit more vibration (and feel) and deal with angled shafts but again they must be co-linear

My $.02, maybe Shea has/had input

(BTW, it was my understanding that the borgenson box was slightly angled to the c3 steering column and that a u-joint was required, but that might depend on the box and how it mounted)
M

Last edited by Mooser; 11-29-2018 at 09:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jpattt24 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 06:32 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooser
Rag joints will absorb some vibration, especially with borgenson style steering boxes where the PS pump is involved (unlike the c3 box) but are meant for straight alignment shafts and not meant to deal with angles or shafts that are not co-linear. U-joints are transmit more vibration (and feel) and deal with angled shafts but again they must be co-linear

My $.02, maybe Shea has/had input

(BTW, it was my understanding that the borgenson box was slightly angled to the c3 steering column and that a u-joint was required, but that might depend on the box and how it mounted)
M
Jim Shea is a proponent of the original GM rag joint, but most available today have modified that design. He is critical of those.
I have a U-joint on my Borgeson conversion.
jpattt24 (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 09:59 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I prefer a rag joint over a single u-joint in the steering system, especially if you have rubber body mounts. During hard cornering, the body moves relative to the chassis. With a single u-joint there is no accommodation in the system to allow for the movement between the steering column and the steering box.

One way to minimize the relative movement is by using poly body mounts. I've ran both body mounts and I prefer the rubber ones due to NVH issues. After I switched back to the rubber mounts from poly, during an HPDE the body moved enough to rub my oversized aluminum driveshaft cutting 3 grooves in it, and I had to switch back to a stronger but smaller steel driveshaft to gain an extra 1/4" of clearance. If there is no capacity in the system to accommodate this relative movement, then something in the system is going to take additional load, which may or may not result in premature wear of bearings/bushings somewhere in the steering.

Now of course, if you just cruise in your vette, this probably won't be an issue.
jpattt24 (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 06:06 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Staley
I prefer a rag joint over a single u-joint in the steering system, especially if you have rubber body mounts. During hard cornering, the body moves relative to the chassis. With a single u-joint there is no accommodation in the system to allow for the movement between the steering column and the steering box.

One way to minimize the relative movement is by using poly body mounts. I've ran both body mounts and I prefer the rubber ones due to NVH issues. After I switched back to the rubber mounts from poly, during an HPDE the body moved enough to rub my oversized aluminum driveshaft cutting 3 grooves in it, and I had to switch back to a stronger but smaller steel driveshaft to gain an extra 1/4" of clearance. If there is no capacity in the system to accommodate this relative movement, then something in the system is going to take additional load, which may or may not result in premature wear of bearings/bushings somewhere in the steering.
This is essentially the point that Jim Shea made in his papers.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:07 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Default U joints

I have the u joints with rack and pinion. There is no difference in vibration from the stock steering, I have rubber body mounts and have no issues.
jpattt24 (12-01-2018)
Old 01-20-2021, 10:20 AM
gjjcvette
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default U Joint vs Rag Joint with Brogeson

Originally Posted by Rotonda
Jim Shea is a proponent of the original GM rag joint, but most available today have modified that design. He is critical of those.
I have read the Shea paper but also feel that the u joint might be a good solution when it is difficult to perfectly align the box and the shaft. How is your u-joint holding up with the Borgeson and did you notice any difference in steering assistance, return to center and/or other drivability aspects? I had the Borgeson installed in my C3 and around 300 miles later the rubber disc is already coming apart.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:21 AM
gjjcvette
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default U Joint vs Rag Joint with Brogeson

Originally Posted by Rotonda
I have read the Shea paper but also feel that the u joint might be a good solution when it is difficult to perfectly align the box and the shaft. How is your u-joint holding up with the Borgeson and did you notice any difference in steering assistance, return to center and/or other drivability aspects? I had the Borgeson installed in my C3 and around 300 miles later the rubber disc is already coming apart.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:01 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I'm not 100% sure about this, so please don't crucify me.....I thought that I heard, once, that the rag joint, and it's related hardware, provide the "ground" for the horn circuit, so it's something to consider.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:15 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Was looking for a solution - using a u-joint and have the ability for "movement"

I'm running a rack and pinion with electric assist - but the same issue- with a frame and body flex-

Here's a solution- a sliding shaft-

Old 01-20-2021, 11:39 AM
Robert_H
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a recommended rag joint manufacturer? My original rag-joint and hardware are gone and I need to purchase something soon.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:35 PM
schnelkc
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gjjcvette
I just had my Borgeson rag joint completely fail today (tore at both connection points). To make this even worse, my '74 has a collapsible shaft, which made install of the Borgeson unit and rag joint a lot easier (no cutting), but when the rag joint failed, it allowed the shaft to start to collapse pulling the bolts through the torn rag joint ultimately separating the two parts of the joint creating a situation of almost no steering ability. The way the rag joint is designed, even if it fails the other two pins allow you to still have steering - unless the two parts are allowed to separate because of the collapsible shaft like mine did, then you are SOL and saying prayers!

Luckily this all occurred while leaving the parking lot (of an auto parts store of all things). So, I wasn't in any danger, but it could have been very bad if that happened in a corner driving down the road. I think I'm switching to a U-Joint as I know it will not fail.

Get notified of new replies

To Do Prefer a Rag joint or u-joint ?

Quick Reply: Do Prefer a Rag joint or u-joint ?