C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:28 PM
Dave Witman
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Brake pads

Just received a set of ACdelco 17d8 brake pads. They are bonded now not rivited . Any issue mixing them front and rear. Ok found some info on NCRS site. The 17d8 riveted are made in Canada and are organic and the bonded ones are made in Mexico are non ferros ceramic. Both of my boxes are made in Mexico with same part numbers ac and gm. but the box with the bonded pads says non ferros ceramic.

Last edited by Dave Witman; 12-11-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:56 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,600 Posts

forgetting for a moment the writing on the box and riveted versus bonded, does the friction material appear to be the same on the two sets?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Dave Witman
Pro

No the compound looks different. Tried to get an answer from delco and they sent back that they don't have access to tech info. Probably wrong department. think they
Old 12-12-2018, 07:55 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Witman
No the compound looks different. Tried to get an answer from delco and they sent back that they don't have access to tech info. Probably wrong department. think they
GM sold off most of their component divisions (and the engineering expertise) about twenty years ago. GM kept the Delco name/trademark though. Today, Delco is just a pass-through organization that buys stuff and puts them in their familiar design boxes. You're kind of on your own figuring out if the part in the box is going to be as good as the original Delco replacement parts that were originally on your car.
The following users liked this post:
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:11 PM
Dave Witman
Pro

Just received my service grade 14d8 ACdelco pads and they are non ferrous ceramic. WTH
Old 12-13-2018, 03:08 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Don't know but if you want a quality aftermarket low dust performance street pad I have the Carbotech 1521 available for your car.

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

Adam Adelstein

Amp’D Autosport.com

Internet's largest retailer of Carbotech Performance Brake Pads.

PH:216-780-8825.

Email: sales@ampdautosport.com

Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/

All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.

Check out Promo code:z28

Old 12-14-2018, 12:00 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

I would not recommend mixing pad types between front and rear. If you are changing pads, change all four if you cannot get the same type as you have now. There can e HUGE differences in friction between different pads. If you have such a difference in braking between front and rear it can be dangerous.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:30 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
I would not recommend mixing pad types between front and rear. If you are changing pads, change all four if you cannot get the same type as you have now. There can e HUGE differences in friction between different pads. If you have such a difference in braking between front and rear it can be dangerous.
I agree. With the relatively low cost of brake pads why risk it?

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pads

Quick Reply: Brake pads