C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hyperco/Vansteel

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 02:36 PM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Priya,
I would keep the sway bars to limit some of the body roll that you'll have with the softer springs, and I would also change to a lower rate front coil spring to match the softer rear spring.
If not, the stiff rate front spring and softer rear will make the car feel a little unbalanced. It will decrease the front grip and make the want to "push" more than if they're properly balanced front to rear. This isn't as bad as having it the other way around (Too soft in front/too stiff in the rear, making it loose), but it will probably still be very noticeable when driving.

Also, one other note for you and the OP - Get adjustable shocks if you can afford them. I've run several different types & brands of shocks, including KYB, Bilsteins, Viking, and RideTechs, and the ability to adjust them lets you fine tune the ride and performance to your springs and driving style.

Good luck to both of you.
Chris
Old 12-29-2018, 02:41 PM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

jb78L-82,
It looks like we were replying at the same time, saying similar things.
I like the way you summed it up:

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Under normal driving the car should ride soft and have less lean/sway in normal driving than a base suspension car
Of course, this is assuming that the front springs are changed to a softer rate than the factory gymkhana, correct?

Chris

Last edited by CA_WxMan; 12-29-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:42 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by CA_WxMan
jb78L-82,
It looks like we were replying at the same time, saying similar things.
I like the way you summed it up:

Of course, this is assuming that the front springs are changed to a softer rate, correct?

Chris

Yes..Chris, correct!
Old 12-29-2018, 03:23 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by CA_WxMan
Priya,
I would keep the sway bars to limit some of the body roll that you'll have with the softer springs, and I would also change to a lower rate front coil spring to match the softer rear spring.
If not, the stiff rate front spring and softer rear will make the car feel a little unbalanced. It will decrease the front grip and make the want to "push" more than if they're properly balanced front to rear. This isn't as bad as having it the other way around (Too soft in front/too stiff in the rear, making it loose), but it will probably still be very noticeable when driving.

Also, one other note for you and the OP - Get adjustable shocks if you can afford them. I've run several different types & brands of shocks, including KYB, Bilsteins, Viking, and RideTechs, and the ability to adjust them lets you fine tune the ride and performance to your springs and driving style.

Good luck to both of you.
Chris
I have some new front springs made for a C2 (couldn't find any C3 vendors selling any front spring softer than 460 lb). They're somewhere between 300-350 lb.

Quick Reply: Hyperco/Vansteel