C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What distributor would you use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 08:19 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Stick with the HEI. Older technology that works just like the wheel.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Greengear
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Holley sniper and holley hyper spark ignition finally got
my c3 running perfect.
Carb tuning and distributor recurve articles helped but the efi and computer controlled distributor make everything work well enough to drive my c3 in heavy city traffic. Nice to have a daly driver 77 c3.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:47 AM
sparky77
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

You could also do what I did with my distributor on my 77 when I rebuilt the engine ,I went to Summit racing and got a rebuild kit for my H.E.I. stock distributor,75.00 and a shim kit for 12.00 .Took a afternoon and rebuilt my stock unit and now it's like new.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:04 PM
white one
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After researching I found a few things out about not using the distributor vacuum advance. Apparently it's GM's way of lessening warranty issues on their engines. No vacuum advance, less warranty claims. I also added a Holly 650 where the directions said to use the ported vacuum connection running to the vacuum advance on the distributor. From what I can understand a ported vacuum on the carburetor base has something to do with emissions and an attempt to lessen them? Plus no vacuum is to be used for these high horse power engines (which mine is not). These performance boards say to use a vacuum advance (as everyone here has said) and to use a full manifold vacuum port to the distributor. That's my next step.

After setting the initial timing at 10 degrees BTDC and using a ported vacuum as instructed by the spec sheet on the Holly 650. Then I set the total advance timing 32 degrees at 3000 Rpm's. Idle was 850 Rpm's. After doing this I hooked the vacuum advance up. I immediately got 1550 Rpm's at idle with the idle screw backed all of the way out. I started checking hoses and connections for vacuum leaks (lots of vacuum hoses on the Vett's) I finally located a blown brake booster check valve. At least after replacing the check valve, the engine would stay running when I came to a stop, but the idle wouldn't go down below 1550 Rpm's if I used the vacuum advance. Next, I removed the distributor vacuum hose to get the RPM's down to a manageable 850 rpm's at idle. Any lower and the engine wanted to cut out when I came to a stop idling at 650 rpm's in gear at a stop.

Now, I have the use of a MSD Street Fire distributor. I tried it first, but not impressed! I may see if they have the HEI vacuum advance stop plate??? Honestly I'm not even sure anyone installed it? The distributor looks fairly clean and new? But is an unknown entity right now? If no vacuum advance stop plate is in the distributor, or they don't have it? I'm going to install the HEI out of the original engine to see if that makes any difference. I'm fairly convinced there are no vacuum leaks. The wires and plugs are all new. The timing is set according to the engine spec sheet. I may also check the plugs to see how they are doing as I did drive it for about 60 miles yesterday. Things are looking good right now. I want to get the idle down and drivability better so I can complete this task. Oh, she uses way too much fuel for my liking (around 9 to 10 mpg). Another reason I want get the vacuum advance working.

I'll let you all know what goes on and what distributor I end up with soon.

Thanks!

Last edited by white one; 02-06-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:12 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

I'm glad I came into the C3 section, I've also been researching what distributor to run in my 1965 C10 pickup with a 396, currently it has a 1977 Caprice 305 HEI l grabbed off junked car in 1990s.

I have read MSD street fire fails often, on reviews in summit and Amazon, then the expensive MSD HEI that is almost 500 bucks has failures sometimes too.

There is a MSD advance weight and spring kit for street fire MSD (apparently MSD street fire doesn't include this "performance" kit with the street fire hei) it's about $25.00 and gives 22-24 degrees advance at max, also says can be used on stock HEI.

https://www.holley.com/products/igni...ies/parts/8428

Guess Holley bought MSD?

Last edited by 1999corvettels1; 02-10-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:23 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

Also there is a MSD E curve electronic distributor that doesn't use springs and weights to advance timing, it's all done with little dials, and it's about 500 bucks, then you have to buy a MSD oil filled coil (like points distributor) bracket for coil, not sure if you need their special wires but it was over 600 for a kit!

I like the idea of the high tech tuning, but man that is expensive!

And guess what, I read about a lot of failures on these too...

Then there is a guy named Dave Ray (ignition man) who rebuilds your points distributor into a "small body HEI" and he sets the curve for you, have thought about trying him, but read it can take months after he has your money order.

Ok I'll go make a new thread, I have distributor and timing questions too.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:03 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hi White one,
Have you seen this post? It might help you to understand why you need both mechanical and vacuum advance.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...long-post.html
The following users liked this post:
white one (02-16-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 PM
white one
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
Hi White one,
Have you seen this post? It might help you to understand why you need both mechanical and vacuum advance.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...long-post.html
Awesome, and all in one place! I searched all over looking for answers on different forums trying to understand all aspects of timing, vacuum advance, and carburetor adjustments. My hat is off to Barry K, and Lars. Also to you Peterbuilt for showing me this information.

Much appreciated!

Quick Reply: What distributor would you use?