C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood badge removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 04:08 PM
grumpy73
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hood badge removal

I need to remove the badges from the hood of my 73 and need some direction on how to achieve this.
Thanks
Old 02-13-2019, 05:55 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Some are installed with double sided trim tape and some have speednuts on the inside of the hood. Some have both. The trim tape can be cut with a piece of fishing line by sawing it between the hood and the emblem. the old tape can be removed with oil and grease remover..
The following users liked this post:
grumpy73 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:51 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Since your asking about removing the '73 Hood Emblems I'm assuming you have a Big Block 454. The 73 did not have any L48 or L82 Emblems on the hood from the factory. If you have these on your hood they are aftermarket and probably just held on with double stick tape. Below is a photo from my '73 AIM illustrating how the Factory 454 Emblems were applied on the 73. Because of the cowl induction system on the hoods there is a double metal wall so to speak, so the Emblems do not have speed nuts holding them on. You won't be able to see the Guide pins since they don't go all the way thru the hood, just the outer layer only. There were just guide holes drilled for the pins and adhesive (double sided trim tape)was also used. TimAt's technique should work. Let us know how you did!
Tooch

Last edited by Tooch1; 02-13-2019 at 09:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
grumpy73 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 AM
grumpy73
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooch1
Since your asking about removing the '73 Hood Emblems I'm assuming you have a Big Block 454. The 73 did not have any L48 or L82 Emblems on the hood from the factory. If you have these on your hood they are aftermarket and probably just held on with double stick tape. Below is a photo from my '73 AIM illustrating how the Factory 454 Emblems were applied on the 73. Because of the cowl induction system on the hoods there is a double metal wall so to speak, so the Emblems do not have speed nuts holding them on. You won't be able to see the Guide pins since they don't go all the way thru the hood, just the outer layer only. There were just guide holes drilled for the pins and adhesive (double sided trim tape)was also used. TimAt's technique should work. Let us know how you did!
Tooch
The PO added a set of L88 Badges.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:27 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
Some are installed with double sided trim tape and some have speednuts on the inside of the hood. Some have both. The trim tape can be cut with a piece of fishing line by sawing it between the hood and the emblem. the old tape can be removed with oil and grease remover..
Also helps to soak the tape with Goof Off to soften it up.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood badge removal

Quick Reply: Hood badge removal