C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone built a badass Crossfire Injected motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 02:22 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Buccaneer

If you just want to build a good running CF, it doesn't take a lot of cash, just a little know how until you want 400+ and then it starts getting expensive to say the least...
That is true for just about any Gen 1 SBC, not just the CF With alittle cash, a little know how, you can have a 400-420 hp mouse motor that is very streetable. From there it goes downhill fast, costs, streetability, etc. But I've heard some pretty impressive numbers from this manifold, which should take the manifold issue completely out of the equation. I've got to sell my 82 C3 because of some pending financial obligations but if I can't get what I want out of it I may keep it and put this manifold on.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,008 Likes on 690 Posts

Since the CF is computer controlled, that's when it starts to get expensive vs just any gen1 sbc with a carb. Lots of mods to do and they are not cheap for the most part. Mine is 430-435hp at the motor and it cost a fair amount to get a CF to that point and mine is very streetable on 91 pump gas, it's all in the tune. There is a guy that lives just NW of Houston that started the original crossfire injection vault forum and knows a lot about CFI (Ken 73), maybe you can look him up since he is close?

Last edited by Buccaneer; 02-19-2019 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
htown81vette (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:53 PM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A lot of good information here, and a CF that runs consistent 12.20's! Now that's food for thought...
Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Since the CF is computer controlled, that's when it starts to get expensive vs just any gen1 sbc with a carb. Lots of mods to do and they are not cheap for the most part. Mine is 430-435hp at the motor and it cost a fair amount to get a CF to that point and mine is very streetable on 91 pump gas, it's all in the tune. There is a guy that lives just NW of Houston that started the original crossfire injection vault forum and knows a lot about CFI (Ken 73), maybe you can look him up since he is close?
I moved to Edmond,OK last year and just forgot to update my profile. LOL. thanks though...
Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 PM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Our manifold IS the answer to more flow for sure for the CFI motors, stock or modified. It likes more cubic inches, the more it gets, the happier it gets. Highest tested was 400 cu in. Mine runs hard mid and high end, pulls like a freight train. I only have 600 miles on my new motor and ran into a few issues with cooling out of the blue and haven't been to the track yet, but dying to go since this is the time of year in Arizona to do that kind of testing. We made a LOT of improvements to that manifold while in development and flow benches to see how it flowed. Believe it or not, we flowed a stock GM CF manifold and found an issue with the runners which was rather surprising, ours has been corrected. The company that helped us develop the manifold IS a well known manifold manufacturer and they even scratched their head on the GM manifold and why GM engineers let it go out that way.

If you just want to build a good running CF, it doesn't take a lot of cash, just a little know how until you want 400+ and then it starts getting expensive to say the least... Let the modding begin! I don't EVER want to add up all my invoices on motors and parts, I would probably faint. I also probably would never sell my car either. My TBs are 2.13" with no sleeves, you can go bigger, but sleeves are a must and depending how big a cube motor you build, will dictate the TB size. Actually, mine are a tad on the big size, but it runs well with them. Most people just go with 2", which is fine for most motors including mine. Ben73 with his 84 N/A CFI 383 motor is running 2" still I believe and his CF runs 12.20s which is the fastest running N/A CF in the world that I know of. He dropped three tenths after installing our manifold and ran consistently in the 12.20s, not just a one time deal that could not be repeated. He DID have an Xram manifold on his motor prior to ours and ran a 12.52 that he could never repeat and was always in the mid to high 12.50s. Everybody said that the Xram was the bomb and nothing was better...really?! If it was the bomb, that would make ours the super bomb. I wish you good luck with whichever way you decide to go. If you need help with a CF, let me know.

ALSO... Thanks Jebby for the nice comments.
Right now it's just a thought experiment, my '82 has a really strong running stroked LS6 (Z06 motor) but I recently saw a post on a Facebook C3 group about a strong running CFI '82 Vette and it kind of blew my mind because I never knew it was possible to make real power with one. I bought my car with no engine/trans just to do an LS swap, but if I'd known that I would have been tempted for sure to build a CFI motor for it. It looks like your intake makes it possible to free up the HP that Chevrolet left on the table.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:43 AM
squared
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Bought a brand spankin new 82 Z-28 crossfire injected 305 as my ensignmobile back in the day. Broke a valve at 16k miles due to the poor design of the hood flappers allowing water into the intake (I suspect). Was my intro to fuel injected motors. Put myself through college selling auto parts and had a V-8 Vega. First car was a Corvair (one driving car, one parts car) so working on cars wasn't new to me. Swapped the 305 for a 350, put headers on it, etc. etc. Never really ran quite right, IMO the limitation was in the computer, the PROM availability and it being new technology. Actually, between that and the next S-10 Blazer lemon, I started driving Fords (did I just say that?) for a while.

But, time past and I'm sure things got better. I might use the manifold, but would probably throw everything else out as to me, that's the only good thing about the system.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:46 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

There is no reason to do an LS swap if you are looking for 4-500hp, A Gen1 can do that all day, lotsa good parts out there to do it with, EFI too.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:46 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by squared
First car was a Corvair (one driving car, one parts car) so working on cars wasn't new to me.
You sound like my father when he was alive. He loved those Corvairs. I lost count of how many he owned over the years, both parts car and drivers. I never liked them all that much. Thought they were 'OK' but I liked Camaros and Vettes way better.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:53 PM
squared
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by htown81vette
You sound like my father when he was alive. He loved those Corvairs. I lost count of how many he owned over the years, both parts car and drivers. I never liked them all that much. Thought they were 'OK' but I liked Camaros and Vettes way better.

Tends to be a cult following...
The following users liked this post:
htown81vette (02-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Anyone built a badass Crossfire Injected motor?