C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat polyurethane suspension bushings

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 10:40 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Fat polyurethane suspension bushings

I installed polyurethane suspension bushings on all of the suspension parts I am rebuilding.......including the bushings on the large leaf spring to trailing arm bolt. The bushings are so fat they take up more space in the trailing arm pocket and now the reinforcing plate for the sway bar bracket will not squeeze into place. So tomorrow I have to take the bolt and bushings out and slice about 1/2 inch off so I can connect my sway bar. I just love doing repairs twice.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:51 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,202 Likes on 926 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I had the same issue with the 'fat' poly bushing. It was a few years back and unfortunately I can't recall exactly how I got around it but you don't need to cut the bushing. Cutting the bushing is the bubba fix and it will work but the integrity of the bushing maybe compromised over time.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:32 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

I was hoping the bushing would compress enough when weight of the car was put on the spring. Maybe after a few years it will compress, but that does not help now. I would prefer not to cut anything. I may taper the edge of the reinforcement piece and see if I can hammer it in place.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:55 PM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I remember having trouble with mine, but I had placed the threaded metal piece incorrectly. Here’s a pix of the final install. It was tight but it did fit.

Note that the threaded metal bar stands proud of the end of the TA
Old 02-23-2019, 02:51 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I used the NOS poly bushings that came with my VB&P spring. The father poly bushings were not going to work, though I did try.

I can't tell on my phone, but the Van Steel bushings may be shorter and flatter like the VB&Ps.

Van Steel springs and bits
Old 02-23-2019, 04:27 PM
Gunfighter13
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

What brand are those bushings? Most poly bushing are flat on both sides. I would not run the ones you have, they look like trouble for you down the road.

Last edited by Gunfighter13; 02-24-2019 at 12:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ronarndt (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 06:02 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,202 Likes on 926 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by ronarndt
I was hoping the bushing would compress enough when weight of the car was put on the spring. Maybe after a few years it will compress, but that does not help now. I would prefer not to cut anything. I may taper the edge of the reinforcement piece and see if I can hammer it in place.
Yes, yes, I did this. It did compress a smidgen for me and I was able to slip in that support plate. After several years there now the bushing has not compressed . That may be a property of poly.

Edit: Wait, wait, lol. I think I used a length of pipe or a bunch of nuts and washers and took up all the slack up the length of the spring bolt and then tightened it down with a nut on the bottom which compressed the bushing. The weight of the car alone was not enough. Then I guided the end of the spring bolt back through the end of the spring. Geez I'm getting old and memory ain't as good as it used to be.

Last edited by resdoggie; 02-23-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:29 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by ronarndt
I installed polyurethane suspension bushings on all of the suspension parts I am rebuilding.......including the bushings on the large leaf spring to trailing arm bolt. The bushings are so fat they take up more space in the trailing arm pocket and now the reinforcing plate for the sway bar bracket will not squeeze into place. So tomorrow I have to take the bolt and bushings out and slice about 1/2 inch off so I can connect my sway bar. I just love doing repairs twice.
For what its worth, I would invert those and put the flat washer against the flat side, and the rounded end into the cup washers.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:51 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

I got out my farrier tools and used the hoof rasp to flatten the other side of those half round bushings. They came with the Eckler's bolts, so I don't know what brand they are- they have a short extension that goes into the metal insulator so they can't be reversed. I think I will see if I can get another brand that fits better and swap out these brand new ones for better fitting ones. Anyway, it's back together so I can drive it if the weather ever clears up.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:19 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Gunfighter- I went to Jegs and ordered those pretty red ones. Eckler's has ones that are flat on both sides, but they are not the ones that come with the bolt kit.

Get notified of new replies

To Fat polyurethane suspension bushings

Quick Reply: Fat polyurethane suspension bushings