C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Hose Crush Washer

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Default Front Brake Hose Crush Washer

Does anybody know the size/measurements of the front brake hose crush washers between the caliper and hose? Or a NAPA part number maybe? I believe they are 7/16ths but how wide or thick is required?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:02 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

If you order a new set of hoses, they will come with new copper washers. Or, you can go to your local FLAPS and ask for one of the hoses (which should include a washer) and when they bring it out take the washer and ask then for some of these washers.

Many auto parts stores have a rack of miscellaneous items labeled HELP. One of the items typically on the rack is a small blister pack of these copper washers.

You can also check Amazon... here
Amazon Amazon
and here
Amazon Amazon

Good luck... GUSTO
The following users liked this post:
CanadaGrant (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 11:51 PM
73ls1
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

They are.675 wide. .062 thick and .044 inside hole.I had a couple laying around.
CanadaGrant (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 01:55 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,697 Likes on 2,937 Posts

You can try taking one of the original washers to a local Harley Davidson shop.
Harley uses the same washers for all the aftermarket brake calipers and lines and they usually have a good supply.
Harley also has them in aluminum and the OEM caliper washers have a rubber seal that work great if you have any lines that like to seep.
I preferred the washers with the rubber seal and used them on all my show bikes with polished calipers.
CanadaGrant (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:07 AM
Greengear
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I ordered a box with various copper crush washers. Just used it today when putting new lines in a classic Fiat. The only dimension that matters it the id of the washer. It must be reasonably close to the od of the brake line or banjo bolt. Also the quality / price of the washer isnt too important because you want cheap metal that will crush easily.

Last edited by Greengear; 03-14-2019 at 06:10 AM.
CanadaGrant (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:04 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Thanks for all the info guys. 73ls1's measurements came in handy at the parts store today! The two I had in the front that Napa gave me were just a hair larger and one would weep very slightly. Looks good now.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:31 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,635 Posts

A true crush washer is round on one side, flat on the other. To use a ordinary hardware copper washer will likely result in a leak.
As I recall, from the NAPA counter parts man, the flat side of the washer always goes towards the caliper. (And that includes the more modern banjo fittings too)

And, its a one-time-deal. Once you crush it with a wrench, disassemble, they are to be thrown away and not reused. (but I have)

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 03-14-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

I always thought the crush, or curved side was on the caliper because the hose face is perfectly flat and that the crush or curved part of the washer was on the caliper because the caliper surface is sort of machined but not really well. It has small grooves/lines showing. Who knows...

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 03-15-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 AM
Greengear
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I always thought the crush, or curved side was on the caliper because the hose face is perfectly flat and that the crush or curved part of the washer was on the caliper because the caliper surface is sort of machined but not really well. It has small grooves/lines showing. Who knows...
I heard the curved side / flat side thing was related to steel washers. The flat side would bite material, curved side allows more slipping. So the flat side goes to material curved side goes to bolt head to allow bolt to tighten without spinning the washer. Or was it the other way around?
anyways the copper washer smashes down so much that it probably doesnt matter because both sides mold to their respective mating surfaces. After you tighten it up the copper washer no longer has a curved side but two shinny flat sides with circular scratches and grooves matching the mating surfaces.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Brake Hose Crush Washer

Quick Reply: Front Brake Hose Crush Washer