C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock washers or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 05:11 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Default Lock washers or no?

Ready to reattach my side pipes to the exhaust manifolds using that innovative invention, packing and sleeve

As is so often the case, one of the brass nuts have fallen off the manifold stud. I put anti seize on these and they come off as they should but occasionally they seem to fall off on their own too. Do people typically use lock washers on these?

I've resigned myself to the fact that I’ll leave a trail of oil and ATF wherever I go. I’d rather not leave parts too.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:15 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I don't. But I don't use goop either.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:45 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
I don't. But I don't use goop either.
x2
extra-long nuts' brass helps prevent siezure.

Are you sure the steel studs' threads are thick & robust?
Old 03-14-2019, 06:20 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

The threads on these are pretty rusty. They have been on there long enough that I don’t remember if I put them on or not. They don’t look to be missing any threads and require some effort to remove.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:11 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If all else fails, just use double nuts. Lock washers have their place, but in an application like this with the heat/cool cycles, they tend to loosen up. GM used crimp style locknuts for a reason.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:36 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Ok, you gentlemen have convinced me, no lock washers and no antiseize.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:11 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 807 Posts

Prevailing torque nuts so they do not back off under heat cycles work well. They can be a chore to remove after many years and thousands of miles. If you don't drive your car daily for many years you should not care about that.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:29 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

You might to consider purchasing, or fabricating, lock washers that you bend over to lock-in the nut (Tab Washers it seems they're called) and secure the nuts. If I had a problem like that is what I would consider. Not sure where you'd find them though. I do see some for sale for the top of exhaust manifolds and for half-shafts, but I would think they'd be available as individual locking "tab washers"....
Here is an image from mcmaster-carr.... prices are a bit silly for a washer and you can probably find at the local hardware store... or fabricate your own from a "fender washer" for a few pennies:

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Ready to reattach my side pipes to the exhaust manifolds using that innovative invention, packing and sleeve

As is so often the case, one of the brass nuts have fallen off the manifold stud. I put anti seize on these and they come off as they should but occasionally they seem to fall off on their own too. Do people typically use lock washers on these?

I've resigned myself to the fact that I’ll leave a trail of oil and ATF wherever I go. I’d rather not leave parts too.

Last edited by carriljc; 03-23-2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: add image
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (03-16-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Lock washers or no?

Quick Reply: Lock washers or no?