C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is difference in High-Altitude L-48s/Carbs??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 07:20 PM
rudedawg
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is difference in High-Altitude L-48s/Carbs??

I have a '77 L48 that is a High-Altitude model. After searching, didn't find much info on the specific differences between a Base and High-Altitude L-48. I'm guessing it's jetting in the Quadrajet?? Idle Mixture screws?? Can anyone advise?? I live in Iowa, so I'm wondering if there are any specific baseline settings I should look at checking or adjusting.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:34 PM
gg521
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

I live in Colorado at high altitude. If nothing has been done to the carb since at high altitude it is under jetted for Iowa. The timing on the engine may also need to be retarded a bit. The other thing is the opening vacuum of the power valve. This may have to be changed. One more thing is the accelerator pump nozzle size.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:35 AM
rudedawg
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. Ironically, my Vette is originally a Colorado car. Last year, I did timing work on it with Lars' papers and got it running much better than it was. I checked my plugs a few days ago and the tips were white. So, I figured the combo of advanced timing and possible leaner carb setup may be an issue going forward.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:59 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 522 Likes on 352 Posts

I would get in touch with Lars. He can probably tell you exactly what changes to make to that carb if necessary.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:17 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,698 Likes on 2,938 Posts

We live in the Northern California East Bay Area just east of San Francisco where the ocean’s tidal change actually effects our rivers, elevation 15 feet.
Lake Tahoe, 7100 feet elevation is about a three hour drive from us and we frequently drive up for a day road trip.
The evevation difference with a carburetored vehicle can make in town driving an art.
The Corvette loads up and the idle circuit is definitely too rich.
You should contact Lars and ask him if it’s something you can simply tune out or if there are physical differences in the carburetor’s components and body.

Get notified of new replies

To What is difference in High-Altitude L-48s/Carbs??

Quick Reply: What is difference in High-Altitude L-48s/Carbs??