C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back from a long day at the track......

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 02:04 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Back from a long day at the track......

Just got back from racing in Bradenton... Well - it was a long day...
I arrived at 9:15 AM at Scott's (C3 Shark Tank) house. From there we went to DeSoto Speedway.. Arriving there - we were told that Test & Tune would only be from 2 - 5 PM this Saturday because of a "Special Event"....
We decided to hang out at the track to wait for 2 PM.. At 1:30 I started the engine to warm it up... Luckily somebody nociced that my lower alternator bracket was broken... (Imagine if I would have raced with a broken bracket at 6400 RPM :eek: :eek: :eek: - the alternator could have broken off and done some serious damage)... As Scott described in his post - we had to go to Bradenton (Bubbaville) to get a replacement.. Well - after visiting several parts stores - we finally found one at Automotive Engineering - a local Speed Shop... So we went back to the track to make some runs... Everything seemed fine....until I actually did my first run...

This time I launched at 3000 RPM and the Drag Radials gripped absolutely great - no tire spin at all - pulling a almost unbelievable 60' time (1.678 :eek: :eek:) and I felt already in 11 second heaven... but.... wait... when I tried to shift into second gear... the gear wouldn't go in... After 3 tries - I finally got second gear in... (took about 3 - 4 seconds before the gear was in) ... same thing happened when shifting from 2 to 3... DAMN - with this 60' time - a 11 second run would have been very possible if the tranny would have shifted correctly... I thought that the tranny wouldn't go in gear because I tried to rip the gear in too quick and made another run to try again...trying to shift slower....
The second run - I launched at 2500 RPM and got a 1.756 60' time which wasn't bad either.....however - when trying to shift into second gear.... the same problem occured even though I was trying to shift very slow....... I just cruised to the end of the track - it wouldn't have made sense to continue...
I still wanted to try again... shifting even slower than on the second run...
The third run started out like the first 2 runs with a good 60' time (1.727)...
This time - I managed to shift into second gear very slowly (I also shifted at a lower RPM).... then I shifted into 3rd gear very slowly....... but when I shifted into 4th.... it wouldn't go into the gear... so I finished the run in 3rd gear... The ET was unbelievable considering my problems.. Here are the stats of my 3rd run:

60'..... 1.727
1/4 mile....12.697
mph........102.61 (well that's the speed in 3rd when hitting the rev limiter :jester)

Finally I got the right thought... that it might be the clutch linkage... My 68 has a mechanical clutch and it needs to be adjusted once in a while... I was so used to self adjusting hydraulic clutches so that I forgot that I had to adjust the clutch.... After adjusting the linkage - I made my last try...
This time I only launched at 2000 RPM which caused the slowest 60' time of the day (but still respectable) 1.813... This time - I shifted carefully (and slowly) through the gears and they actually went in!!! :eek: :eek:
I ended up running 12.408 @ 114.62 mph...
After that run - Scott had to leave to get some sleep.. (He works at night and I'm responsible for a lot of lost sleep)....
After that - I wanted to run again - knowing that the transmission was shifting fine now... This time I was100% sure that I would get into 11's just by shifting faster (ripping the gears in like I usually do).. Well - bad luck... It was already 5 PM and the track was shut down for a Special Event... I might try my luck at Moroso Speedway next Friday... I just hope that they won't inspect my car there.... because it wouldn't meet NHRA rules....

The day still ended on a positive note because:

1) NEW BEST ET (even though only approx. .1 faster than my prev. best)
2) NEW BEST MPH (114.62)
3) NEW BEST 60' time (1.678)
3) At the last run - the car felt like a rocket... I just lost some time shifting carefully and slow because of previous problems..

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 11-03-2002, 02:23 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Back from a long day at the track...... (GrandSportC3)

Congrats on the new best times. I am sure that you will get into the 11's very soon, hopefully next Friday. I will put mine up on the hoist this week to check the rear end, change the tranny fluid and get ready for maybe one more run. With my 15" 245's there is noway that I can even launch at 2000 rpm, I just spin. Last run I launched at 1500 and was able to keep the rear end sticking. There are 4 of us who have decided to autocross next year so I had better do some rear suspension work this winter as well (time to replace the Monroes and steel spring with composite and Bilsteins all around). :cheers:
Old 11-03-2002, 02:27 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But remember, mechanical clutches shift faster than hydraulic.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:30 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Back from a long day at the track...... (Schmucker)

But remember, mechanical clutches shift faster than hydraulic.
They shift faster if the driver shifts them faster.... I still had my prevous runs in my head and shifted very carefully... I'm sure that if I shift at my usualy shift speed and launching at 3000 RPM - I will be in the 11's...

Olivier
Old 11-03-2002, 02:31 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Back from a long day at the track...... (gdh)

Hey gdh - get some Drag Radials... - it makes a unbelievable difference!!!

Olivier
Old 11-03-2002, 03:35 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Great Runs :cheers:
Old 11-03-2002, 04:30 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Back from a long day at the track...... (Corey 68)

Great??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: great would be: no problems and 11.99 or better...

Olivier
Old 11-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

damn, and the weather was perfect too.....but don't worry Oliver, you'll nail the 11s soon enough :D :cheers:
Old 11-03-2002, 08:50 AM
SuperFast80
Race Director

The greatest thing about track days is coping with problems that NEVER pop up when you are NOt at the track. :lol: :lol: Sounds like you are going to be back there at the first opportunity! :cheers:
Old 11-03-2002, 09:16 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Back from a long day at the track...... (SuperFast80)

Makes me want to get a set of drag radials. Good 60 foot times. I could probably be in the low 12s with those 60 foot times
Old 11-03-2002, 10:46 AM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 206 Likes on 130 Posts

Hey O.... sorry for your problems, but you are fairly new to this sport.
Give it some time, and get some more experience, and you'll be running where you want :yesnod:
The good part is now you have stories to tell us next week at the Tower Shops :lol: ... unless you go to Moroso.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:24 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Back from a long day at the track...... (Mean Green 2000)

damn, and the weather was perfect too.....but don't worry Oliver, you'll nail the 11s soon enough :D :cheers:
I'm more convinced than ever that I will be in the 11's soon - if nothing breaks... The engine just rocks - and if everything else works fine - I will be able to get into 11's.. Even if I would have had my best 60' time at my last run - I would have been at around 12.25.... Faster shifting and I could have been near 11's....

Olivier
Old 11-03-2002, 11:26 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Back from a long day at the track...... (SuperFast80)

The greatest thing about track days is coping with problems that NEVER pop up when you are NOt at the track. :lol: :lol: Sounds like you are going to be back there at the first opportunity! :cheers:
I might even wait for the next cold front before racing again.. Well - it wasn't all to cool yesterday... When I was racing - the temperature was around 78 - 80... which was still better than before (90+ degrees)... If I would have been able to run 10 AM - the temperature would have been another 10 - 15 degrees lower....

Olivier
Old 11-03-2002, 11:27 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Back from a long day at the track...... (Gordonm)

Makes me want to get a set of drag radials. Good 60 foot times. I could probably be in the low 12s with those 60 foot times
1.6x 60' times are mid 11 second 60' times... Drag Radials Rock!!!!! I'm so happy that my rear end didn't break...

Olivier
Old 11-03-2002, 11:29 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Back from a long day at the track...... (Electron Blue '02)

Hey O.... sorry for your problems, but you are fairly new to this sport.
Give it some time, and get some more experience, and you'll be running where you want :yesnod:
The good part is now you have stories to tell us next week at the Tower Shops :lol: ... unless you go to Moroso.
It depends on the weather... If it should be cooler - I might go to Moroso Speedway next Friday... I can smell 11's.... :D :D

Olivier
Old 11-03-2002, 12:12 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: If you got the 60' time you got on your first run for your last run you would have been there for sure :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 11-03-2002, 12:20 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Back from a long day at the track...... (QuickVet)

congrats :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: If you got the 60' time you got on your first run for your last run you would have been there for sure :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
If you look at the Video (at C3 Shark Tank's thread) - you will hear - that I wasn't shifting too quick because of previous problems... I was also only launching at 2000 instead of 3000 RPM which caused a .15 slower 60' time...

Olivier

Get notified of new replies

To Back from a long day at the track......

Old 11-03-2002, 12:22 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every tenth on the 60' is worth about a tenth and a half on the top end :smash:
Old 11-03-2002, 12:24 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Back from a long day at the track...... (QuickVet)

every tenth on the 60' is worth about a tenth and a half on the top end :smash:
Wow - I could have made it... DAMN - why didn't I launch at 3000 RPM at the last run... :( :(

Olivier
Old 11-03-2002, 03:23 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,897 Likes on 925 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Your MPH says you can do it!

You might take a close look at your motor mounts. Often when you stick slicks or other sticky tires on something, you get a lot more movement of the engine/trans combo. Enough to put the clutch linkage and shft linkage in a bind if it hits on the tunnel.

I still use stock type with the interlocking tangs to limit ultimate movement. You may need a torque strap of some sort.

Good luck.....you brought it all home in one piece and that's a good thing!

Kind of like flying..... Any landing you can walk away from was a good one.....and if they can still use the airplane.....it was a GREAT one!

JIM

Quick Reply: Back from a long day at the track......