C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Oil Filter for the Money?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 06:13 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Where are all these 'chunks' of metal coming from? Cheaply made parts? Really? Even if some particulate passes through the filter, is it going to do damage to the engine? 30um is pretty darn small and will probably get imbedded in the babbit of the journal bearing which is designed to do this. Or get filtered on the next pass or settle on the bottom of the base pan. No need to over think this stuff. Again, I've used Fram filters for over 40 years more often than not. I too have a lot of money in my engine and there's a Fram oil filter installed and a K&N air filter. I ain't losing any sleep over it.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:15 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
The filter will only flow it’s recommended capability
Technically, the filter only flows at the rate oil leaks from the crank bearings and through the valvetrain. Generally speaking, putting a higher flowing filter onto your engine won't result in more oil flow through the engine.

I had a 350 which had the bypass plugged and a HVHP pump with a standard pressure spring. I ran both car and truck size filters on it and the oil pressure stayed right at 60psi all the time while driving at any rpm above idle. The oil filter size made no difference on oil pressure.

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
I think the clean engine is more a function of the additive package of the oil rather than the filtration of any filter used. Mobil one has a very good cleaning additive package in their oil. Oils of years gone by did not have particularly good cleaning capabilities nor were they very good at keeping contaminates in suspension in the oil.
Double Bingo.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:22 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
50,000 miles?
Remove two zeros and watch the videos on YouTube about filter internals.

Some of you may remember a Fram commercial shown on TV years ago. It was about a mechanic wiping his hands with a towel and holding a orange filter.
At that time their slogan was:
"You can pay me now or you can pay me later'". Meaning that if you don't use Fram then you will pay the mechanic for repairs later.

Now that I am older and wiser I realize that slogan really means that if you install a Fram, you will pay for repairs later.

Do you have some proof that the Fram XG filters have construction issues or is this just based on an unfounded bias against everything the company makes?

I'm interesting in seeing proof, but the other is completely useless.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:01 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Do you have some proof that the Fram XG filters have construction issues or is this just based on an unfounded bias against everything the company makes?

He doesn't. The XG is a well built filter and is well regarded on bobistheoilguy.com.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:35 PM
H8 mondays
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I've used truck oil filters in drag boats and classic cars for years.
It wasn't about more surface area or even filtration, it was just to have an extra 1/2 quart oil capacity in the system.

They can be a bear to get around some headers, but if you punch a pin hole in the upper part of the filter and one at the bottom, then let the oil drip into a pan overnight, you can spin the filter off and maneuver it through the header without making any mess.

WIX and Napa Gold filters have always been my preferred choices.

Back in the day when I was a high school kid, I worked in a full service gas station at night for extra money.
Does anyone here remember the old canister oil filters that were OEM on some american made cars?
It was not uncommon to do an oil change, drop the canister and find someone was using a roll of toilet paper for filtering the oil.
I had a Frantz toilet paper bypass filter on an 81 cj5 with a 304 ci motor when changing the just the toilet paper filter after about 100 miles the oil would be noticeably cleaner and when pulling the filter out it was jet black. I always thought it caught very fine partials. I had 250000 miles on that engine when i sold it and never an oil related problem and it used about 1/2 quart in 3000 miles between oil changes. And if i remember right it called for the cheapest roll of white toilet paper you could find and at that time 1 roll was $0.15 at the store could not beet the price for a filter change.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:46 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,695 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Originally Posted by H8 mondays
I had a Frantz toilet paper bypass filter on an 81 cj5 with a 304 ci motor when changing the just the toilet paper filter after about 100 miles the oil would be noticeably cleaner and when pulling the filter out it was jet black. I always thought it caught very fine partials. I had 250000 miles on that engine when i sold it and never an oil related problem and it used about 1/2 quart in 3000 miles between oil changes. And if i remember right it called for the cheapest roll of white toilet paper you could find and at that time 1 roll was $0.15 at the store could not beet the price for a filter change.
I'm surprised they did not make it on the earlier posted chart.
Maybe they actually worked better than the oil filters produced today so the manufactures were biased and kept them out of the testing.
LOL
Old 03-28-2019, 07:52 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Yes, I watched several non-bias videos on YouTube where the lid was removed, the entire contents is spread out and the cheap CARDBOARD parts inside.

Use what filter you want. No cardboard and cheap spring for me.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:10 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by H8 mondays
This cannot be real. It’s way too close to April 1st for me to believe a toilet paper roll oil filter was the commercial automotive product.

Adam
Old 03-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
This cannot be real. It’s way too close to April 1st for me to believe a toilet paper roll oil filter was the commercial automotive product.

Adam
The following users liked this post:
amandico82 (03-27-2021)
Old 03-28-2019, 09:06 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Why would you even consider cost as a factor?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:16 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Then there is this. Pure Power cleanable unit with rare earth magnet.
amandico82 (03-27-2021)
Old 03-28-2019, 11:04 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Yes, I watched several non-bias videos on YouTube where the lid was removed, the entire contents is spread out and the cheap CARDBOARD parts inside.

Use what filter you want. No cardboard and cheap spring for me.
OK, post these links showing how crappy the XG filter model is.

I could care less what you've seen about their low end product line so don't bother with links showing them. It's been well established that they are junk. But the XG filter is rather well regarded in any circle that isn't blindly biased against the company.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:12 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,695 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Adam
Yes Adam, they did exist, and were used by many consumers.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:42 PM
MsEllie
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
This is what the original motor above, looked like seven years ago! All we did was swap heads and put a cam in it. The bottom end was untouched. We pulled the main caps, checked the crank bearings and put it together and back in, exactly as is. The care I applied to it, actually cleaned the entire inside of the engine!

Very interesting!
Old 03-28-2019, 11:47 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,338 Posts

OK, post these links showing how crappy the XG filter model is.

I could care less what you've seen about their low end product line so don't bother with links showing them. It's been well established that they are junk. But the XG filter is rather well regarded in any circle that isn't blindly biased against the company.
Avoiding orange oil filters has been second nature for the past 20 years for me. But we can all name other companies that sell both cheap crap and nice stuff under basically the same name.

That said, is there a Wix XP filter that will fit? They don't seem to make a 51069XP.

Here's a video. The Fram XG seems to be equivalent to the Wix XP.

For those of you wanting a deal on filters, RockAuto has Ultra-Power 51069 filters for about $1- each. These are likely the bottom of the line Fram filters, packaged for CarQuest, and sold on clearance.

Last edited by Bikespace; 03-28-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:47 PM
MsEllie
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Adam
Trucker in town would stuff the oil filter housing with feminine napkins because they were cheaper at the time than oil filter elements. He died with a fistful of dollars. We called him Easy Ed.

Last edited by MsEllie; 03-28-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:44 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Adam
yep... true,
my dad when i was a little boy he had a Ford Commit and he would put a roll of toilet paper in a filter housing and take the old one out and put it in the trash every oil change.. I remember him showing me how to change oil on tis car.. I was maybe 5??

I miss him:-(
amandico82 (03-27-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Best Oil Filter for the Money?

Old 03-29-2019, 07:12 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Adam

Like several others, I, too, remember the "TP" oil filters.....
Old 03-29-2019, 09:18 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Count me in as well remembering the toilet paper filters........
Old 03-29-2019, 10:41 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by Big2Bird

Then there is this. Pure Power cleanable unit with rare earth magnet.
If I ever start losing sleep over oil filtration, then this would be the way I would go.

Quick Reply: Best Oil Filter for the Money?