C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on tune up options

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Classic Muscle
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice on tune up options

I'm about to buy every thing to tune up my 77 and could use some advice on what brands of wires, plugs, cap ect to go with. My car still has the factory heat shields installed but I'm not sure if I should use those because I'm going to be replacing the factory exhaust manifolds and installing headers and side pipes in the near future. Don't you need a different set of wires and shorter plugs if you're installing headers? Will the factory plugs and wires still work with headers if I run them through all the factory shields? Sorry for the stupid questions but I just don't want to end up buying wires and plugs twice if I can help it. Thinking about going with all Acdelco but is there a better brand I should consider?
Old 04-20-2019, 10:49 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I use hooker headers with side pipes and NGK plugs with no clearance issues. Straight plug heads not angle plug heads.

you can still use the original routing for the plug wires. Get spiral wound wires for good quality wires.
The following users liked this post:
Classic Muscle (04-21-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 11:27 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I recommend going over the top of the valve covers with the wires and cutting your own........use Taylor pt# 73051....cut to length and crimp one end on.....use Taylor pt#43390 to strip and crimp......I can do a set in 45 minutes. I just think the stock routing is silly and unneeded now as spiral wound resistor wire does not interfere with radio signals.....
I actually like MSD's HEI cap and rotor......super high quality and looks cool. Fits the stock HEI unit. For plugs I use NGK....either UR4 or FR4 for iron or aluminum heads.....the R5671 plugs are even better if you can find them as they come in 4 heat ranges (7 to 10)....I usually go with an "8" on a well tuned engine.

Jebby
Old 04-21-2019, 12:12 AM
Classic Muscle
Instructor

I don't have my car here at home to look at it again but I don't think I can use the straight ends with the factory exhaust manifolds I think they will touch the manifold. It's gonna be at least a couple months before I can buy a set of Doug's porcelain coated headers and I need the wires now.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:20 AM
Classic Muscle
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
I recommend going over the top of the valve covers with the wires and cutting your own........use Taylor pt# 73051....cut to length and crimp one end on.....use Taylor pt#43390 to strip and crimp......I can do a set in 45 minutes. I just think the stock routing is silly and unneeded now as spiral wound resistor wire does not interfere with radio signals.....
I actually like MSD's HEI cap and rotor......super high quality and looks cool. Fits the stock HEI unit. For plugs I use NGK....either UR4 or FR4 for iron or aluminum heads.....the R5671 plugs are even better if you can find them as they come in 4 heat ranges (7 to 10)....I usually go with an "8" on a well tuned engine.

Jebby
I did not know anything about the spiral wound resistor wire and radio signals thanks for that tip! I was just looking at the MSD stuff too and was kinda really wanting to run the wires over top just wasn't sure if it would be an issue with the stock exhaust manifolds or not.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:09 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Here is some good reading on the subject if you want.

https://www.aa1car.com/library/spark_plug_wires.htm
Old 04-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Muscle
I did not know anything about the spiral wound resistor wire and radio signals thanks for that tip! I was just looking at the MSD stuff too and was kinda really wanting to run the wires over top just wasn't sure if it would be an issue with the stock exhaust manifolds or not.
With the stock manifolds...you will have to go around the back of the valve cover and use 90 degree boots.

Jebby
Old 04-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Classic Muscle
...Sorry for the stupid questions but I just don't want to end up buying wires and plugs twice if I can help it...
FWIW: wait until you have the headers installed, then go from there.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:59 PM
DAD111
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I made my own - used the crimping tool as Jebby said. I also used straight boots at the plugs with stock exhaust manifolds.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:30 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DAD111
I made my own - used the crimping tool as Jebby said. I also used straight boots at the plugs with stock exhaust manifolds.

Are you using vortec heads?
Old 04-23-2019, 03:32 PM
DAD111
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes 062 Vortec - Straight plugs

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on tune up options

Quick Reply: Advice on tune up options