C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluish smoke on re-start

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 01:42 AM
TuffShift
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Bluish smoke on re-start

When I restart my 1979 L82 coupe after sitting for say 5 minutes, there is a quite noticeable puff of bluish smoke from the exhaust.
I recall from years past being told that this is caused by 'leaking valve guides', allowing oil to get down into the combustion chamber. My concern, is that this only occurs once in a while and not every time I restart after a short 5-15m shutdown.

Could it be something ELSE besides leaking valve guides that I should look at...or just not worry about it at all for the time being? I would think if it were leaking valve guides that they would leak ALL of the time and not sporadically like is presently happening.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:10 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

3 choices. replace valve seals. spend upwards of 3k rebuilding the whole engine. leave it alone.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:05 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

If valve GUIDES are not too badly worn, seals will help for a while.
You can air-up cylinder thru sp hole to hold valve closed as you R&R springs & seals.
Find plenty instructions on web /Youtube. Plan half-day for careful novice.

These sets for sbc with OE 11/32" stem valves:

Fel-Pro pn SS 72526 - Set of 8 o-rings & 8 umbrellas - install both umbrellas & o-rings on INTAKE valves.

Fel-Pro pn SS 72877 - Set of 8 o-rings & 8 umbrellas - install both umbrellas & o-rings on EXHAUST valves.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:26 AM
derekderek
Race Director

One more thing. 40 year old valve springs. THROW THEM AWAY!! there are lots of good single spring sets in the correct pressure for under 100 bucks.
The following users liked this post:
QKSLVRZ (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 01:52 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Auto or manual trans.
I had a chevy 1 ton that would do the same thing.
After spending a ton of money on head work the problem continued.
I found that the $3.00 vacuum module on the trans was going out and it was sucking transmission fluid into the intake on start up.
As the module continued to fail the blue smoke started getting worse and I noticed my transmission fluid was low.
Installed a new module and the problem went away.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:52 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Auto or manual trans.
I found that the $3.00 vacuum module on the trans was going out and it was sucking transmission fluid into the intake on start up.
As the module continued to fail the blue smoke started getting worse and I noticed my transmission fluid was low.
quite true. Had an el camino w/ powerglide ... caught that before headwork.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:58 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by derekderek
One more thing. 40 year old valve springs. THROW THEM AWAY!! there are lots of good single spring sets in the correct pressure for under 100 bucks.
True, so many skip this step...."Why, it seems fine". Or buy cheap ones, dont set them up cause they are cheap, ignorant or assume cause the ad says "good to .500 lift" you just drop them in not so.
Or buy the cheapest ones they can.
OP cant help but wonder if you got some gas boiling over before your hot restarts and thats what youre seeing?
If its a little once in awhile leave it. Otherwise pull the heads and $$ dive down that rabbit hole. New guides mean new valve job..may need seats, valves etc. Those dont last forever either

Lotta guys in the C5-7 sec cant figure why their guides/springs wont go 150k. Lots of lift, rpm they are gonna wear period thats hot roddin.
Keep us posted on what you find
Old 05-03-2019, 04:24 PM
derekderek
Race Director

525 hp Mercury marine 454 engines need full valve job every 300 hours. 365 hp 454's? Never.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:37 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Maybe go out and buy new modern iron/aluminium heads and bring that old engine into the 21st century.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:25 PM
TuffShift
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Auto or manual trans.
THAT, I will have to look into....thanks for the tip (yes mine's an automatic). It's still odd that it only does it once in a while. I appreciate all the helpful suggestions. Am not all that sure, what 'old springs' would have to do with it though.....mebbie someone better mechanically versed than I am could explain that for me.
Thanks again to all that replied.

Last edited by TuffShift; 05-03-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:31 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TuffShift
THAT, I will have to look into....thanks for the tip (yes mine's an automatic). It's still odd that it only does it once in a while. I appreciate all the helpful suggestions. Am not all that sure, what 'old springs' would have to do with it though.....mebbie someone better mechanically versed than I am could explain that for me.
Thanks again to all that replied.
Old springs don't have anything to do with your smoking and I don't think that was implied.
But, if you're are going to loosen old springs in order to R&R valve seals ... that's a good time to freshen springs.

Get notified of new replies

To Bluish smoke on re-start

Quick Reply: Bluish smoke on re-start