C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window up..don't move- only 1 wire getting power?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 05:03 PM
stingraygene
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default window up..don't move- only 1 wire getting power?

(1971 coupe) I bought new window motor but haven't installed. I figured I better check motor wire plug for power. only the blue wire is getting power inside the door not the brown one. The window is all the way up so if blue is for up..and brown is for down and there is no power to brown then guess that is why window not moving as window is all way up. interior lights dim when push switch for up so gets under load. NOW- I do have power in both wires leaving window switch on the center console so is there maybe a plug-in harness for window wires under the center console somewhere by shifter that might have bad connection? no bare or broken wires anywhere in door or door harness. P.S. I did switch the 2 switches around to see if maybe switch was bad but nothing changed. thank you
Old 05-03-2019, 08:50 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

The brown wire is likely broken inside the rubber protector at the door hinge area.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:02 PM
stingraygene
Instructor

I didn't see my replys? but I did it on my phone.. anyway- Thanks guys!.. it was a broken wire in boot area in door jam. Haven't fixed yet as wondering if just soder a 1" wire between the 2 halves will work and just heat shrink a tube over it? the area will be inside the rubber protector. hopefully the opening/closing of door won't bend it right where it was sodered. I'd splice up in dash area and run new wire to plu8g but can't get to wires up inside dash.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:08 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Nope. Can't fix one wire. You have to buy a whole engine bay and passenger compartment wire harness. And may as well replace all the gauges and get a tilt-tele column too. Nah, just fix the wire...
Old 05-04-2019, 03:10 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I can't emphasize enough that sometimes the testing and answers are located on our tech site. http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/

Use this test and you'll figure out your issue.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 05-04-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:18 PM
stingraygene
Instructor

Willcox- Thank you!.. saves lot of headaches. Thanks also DerekDerek.. will pull interior out soon (kidding).. I'll just splice the wire and be done with it
The following users liked this post:
Willcox Corvette (05-04-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To window up..don't move- only 1 wire getting power?

Quick Reply: window up..don't move- only 1 wire getting power?