Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

76 body on 69 frame

Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 PM
Ssgould

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 body on 69 frame

Ok guys I'm not pleased with my 76 frame. I'm putting an ls6 in it and the welds are shitty. I picked up a 69 frame in great shape. And now I'm lost.I've seen every thing but this in the forums. I have also seen every spec sheet except 1976 frames.I have measured both frames and I cant find any different can some one please tell me what is different in these 2 years.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:42 AM
bazza77
CF Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 231 Posts

Just the welds were .....poor on the 76 frame ? Nearly ALL the c3 frames had "poor" welding done , just enough to hold it together !

No reason to throw it away , most guys who do body off restore or modify add extra welds to tighten up those frames .

Unless of course it's been crashed or has excessive rust . That,s a different scenario.

Have a look at the bolt hole measurements where the front "frame horns" from the 69 attached and compare to the 76 , where the front vacuum tank "battering ram " heavy bracket bolted to the frame.

Height of body mounts 2 and3 from top of frame(s)

Rear of frame 76 has provision for hydraulic shock units to be installed in the frame , where 69 just had braces coming off frame to the chrome bumpers. IE, way different bolt holes to mount way different types of bumper bracketry.

Can the swap be done ? Yes , but a lot of fabrication for sure.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:26 AM
derekderek
CF Senior Member

Received 637 Likes on 590 Posts

And the fabrication? Welds!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM
bazza77
CF Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek View Post
And the fabrication? Welds!
Well probably the biggest one would be to cut the back end of 76 frame off and weld it to the back of his 69 frame. That would make it easier to put the 76 type bumper unit on as per normal. This is of course assuming the 76 back end is still good

Body mounts , well a newer body on an older frame would require just less shimming to make up the difference.Possibly custom rubber body mounts or just go with the early alloy pucks.

Front horn bolt holes and welded nuts , there is a different bolt pattern which would require possibly just enlargement of existing holes or making new ones so the 76 part would mate properly on the 69 frame. I know this is true with putting 69 parts (including body) on a 78 frame.

Welds ! Lots of welding to be done !

Have I actually done a 76 onto a 69 frame ? No ! But I am doing a 69 onto a 78 frame. The 69 body sits good on a 78 without swapping rear frame sections so I intend to mount similar (or original 69 ) bumper braces onto the 78 rear so I end up with factory compatible mounting ( kind of !! ) There's no way I can visualise to get those hydraulic shock mounts onto a 69 frame.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 76 body on 69 frame

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: