C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1975 brake master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:09 PM
skhan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1975 brake master cylinder

I have been having issues with brakes for while. I am used to power brakes, but my corvette does not have power brakes. I am okay with that, as long as the brakes work as they are suppose to.

What I am expecting the brakes to do: Lock the wheel when I go really hard on the pedal, and I mean HARD.
What the brakes actually do: will slow the car down but no where as fast as it should. and no locking of the wheels.

I have changed all brakes pads, all calipers, rotors are in good condition. Its been bled multiple times. There are no leaks in the whole system. I have no idea what the issue has been.

What I have noticed is that when I go really hard on the brakes, the brake oil seems to spill out of the master cylinder top. its sealed really tight. So what I am trying to figure out is is the top cap a problem. or am I having to push too hard on the brakes and actually should be worried about system bursting?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,600 Posts

you need a new master cylinder gasket but that has nothing to do with the primary problem. When you step on the brakes really hard does the pedal go almost to the floor or does it remain firm?
Was the master cylinder bled?
You could also have a worn out master.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:23 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MelWff
you need a new master cylinder gasket but that has nothing to do with the primary problem. When you step on the brakes really hard does the pedal go almost to the floor or does it remain firm?
Was the master cylinder bled?
You could also have a worn out master.
I can change the gasket, no problem. I am just worried if it has that much pressure, the brake system may burst from some place. Should I be having to apply such force with manual brakes? ( I dont think so). The pedal remains firm when I brake really hard.
how do I tell if the master is worn out? Any specific tests I can do to find out?
Old 05-21-2019, 09:36 AM
slammin
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 114 Posts

Have you replaced the brake hoses? Most will upgrade to braided stainless hoses. If you don't want to spend that much, at least use new rubber hoses. As the rubber ages, it decays.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slammin
Have you replaced the brake hoses? Most will upgrade to braided stainless hoses. If you don't want to spend that much, at least use new rubber hoses. As the rubber ages, it decays.
Yes, I have replaced those hoses for sure.

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 brake master cylinder

Quick Reply: 1975 brake master cylinder