C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Mystery Wire Time

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 11:24 AM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 1972 Mystery Wire Time

I have two sets of wires I am trying to figure out where they go. Both are under the hood near the wiper door vacuum actuator on my 72 base coupe with AC and automatic transmission. One is a black wire with spade connectors coming off at two points about 4 inches apart (A). The second is a connector that has two green and on black wires coming into it, with the wires cut off coming out of the connector (B). I have looked around, but can’t find where these attach too. Thanks in advance for your help. This forum is the best!👍
Marc in Indy

Old 05-27-2019, 08:53 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

The double black one might be the one that goes to the blower motor but the ends look different, but it's the only one I can think of over there

The other plug, something for the A/C (I don't have A/C so it's not familiar to me, maybe that's also for the double black as well)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ring-pics.html
I think they are talking the same plug there but I didn't read through it all.

Anyway, here's a bump for you, hopefully someone with Air can chime in
M
The following users liked this post:
128racecar (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 09:28 PM
128racecar
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the bump. The wiring at the relay is intact, so cut-off connector "B" is odd. My high speed is missing on the fan, so next weekend I'll trouble shoot the fuse and relay for the high speed blower as covered here in the forum. I'll take a second look around my AC to see if I can find terminals for the other two spade connector wire "A".
Old 05-27-2019, 09:42 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

The A/C part is a thermal limiter fuse, it "blows" when something is causing a drag on your compressor, it will smoke and 'save' your compressor from burning up. It will blow and smoke when the system is low enough on freon or lubricants. Wire 'A', black wire, goes to the superheat switch on the back of the compressor; Wire B ends at a plug that goes to the compressor's clutch (front of the compressor) Joining that wire in the plug is a black ground wire that grounds to the compressor bracket; Wire C green wire goes into the wire bundle and is for who-knows-what, likely the power switch.

The following users liked this post:
128racecar (05-27-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 Mystery Wire Time

Quick Reply: 1972 Mystery Wire Time