Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Darn Brakes Again

Old 06-07-2019, 01:05 PM
Street Rat
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 325 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace View Post
Awesome! Now go drive the hell out of it!
Thanks Bikespace.
Unfortunately I'm headed out of town today for a graduation ceremony.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:47 PM
cagotzmann
CF Senior Member

Received 223 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat View Post
4. Patience. Some of the evacuated calipers took quite a bit of time to get ALL of the air out.
Craig
There is also 1 more thing that most don't do, but I have always done.

1. when you replace a caliper I also press in the brake pads and shim/wedge between the brake pad and rotor to force the caliper piston in as far as it can go. Then fill the caliper and bleed.

Most of the air gets trapped in the caliper piston bores. The only way to completely bleed this out is force the caliper piston in, Shim/Wedge them in place or use a vise grip, then apply pressure at the MC and bleed.

You can do this at any time. You will be surprised how much air can be left in the piston bores. If you bleed the calipers off the brackets and stand straight up you get the same results, but this is a lot of extra time to complete.

So when I bleed calipers I always press the caliper piston in and shim/wedge/vise grip.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:08 PM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

Received 187 Likes on 159 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Test drove her this morning and the brakes are great.

This is the firmest brake pedal that this car has had in the six years that I've owned it.

The problem was definitely too much air in the system.

I contribute the good pedal to the following...
1. A thorough bench bleed of the master cylinder in a level, tilted forward, and a tilted rear position.
2. A thorough bleeding of the system following the correct bleeding procedure. The system had a moderate amount of air in it. Particularly in the Wilwood right front caliper.
3.Lifting the rear of the car as cagatzman showed in a previous post, and forcing air out of the rear of the master cylinder reservoir. I actually didn't expect to get anymore air bubbles after the mc bench bleed. To my surprise I got two more air bubbles out of the back reservoir.
4. Patience. Some of the evacuated calipers took quite a bit of time to get ALL of the air out.

Thank you all for following the seemingly endless saga.

Craig
Fantastic! I am glad to hear that you were able to get the air out, congratulations. Go drive that beautiful Corvette.
Eddy
Old 06-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Street Rat
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cagotzmann

1. when you replace a caliper I also press in the brake pads and shim/wedge between the brake pad and rotor to force the caliper piston in as far as it can go. Then fill the caliper and bleed.

Most of the air gets trapped in the caliper piston bores. The only way to completely bleed this out is force the caliper piston in, Shim/Wedge them in place or use a vise grip, then apply pressure at the MC and bleed.

You can do this at any time. You will be surprised how much air can be left in the piston bores. If you bleed the calipers off the brackets and stand straight up you get the same results, but this is a lot of extra time to complete.

So when I bleed calipers I always press the caliper piston in and shim/wedge/vise grip.
I tried this on one caliper. I must not have the correct tools. I just made one hell of a mess trying.

Your tips have helped me tremendously!

Craig
Old 06-07-2019, 03:41 PM
Fredtoo
CF Senior Member

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

An additional brake bleed after the brakes have been bedded in and have gotten hot is a good way to get rid of the small bubbles that were hiding in the system.
The following users liked this post:
Street Rat (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 09:38 AM
Street Rat
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Techoca View Post
Fantastic! I am glad to hear that you were able to get the air out, congratulations. Go drive that beautiful Corvette.
Eddy
Thank you Eddy!
Techoca (06-08-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 12:43 AM
Goody
CF Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats.. perseverance has paid off for you.
Street Rat (06-10-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:44 AM
Street Rat
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Purchased a New Tool

After this last brake fiasco I decided to purchase this tool to spread the pads.

Amazon Amazon

Has anybody used or is using one of these?
Does it do the intended job well?

Craig
Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 AM
Street Rat
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cagotzmann View Post

I'm going to use the new tool that I purchased (post #48) to do this in future.

Craig
Old 06-12-2019, 10:40 AM
cagotzmann
CF Senior Member

Received 223 Likes on 170 Posts

After this last brake fiasco I decided to purchase this tool to spread the pads.

https://www.amazon.com/Lang-Tools-27...omotive&sr=1-1

Has anybody used or is using one of these?
Does it do the intended job well?

Craig
I am to lazy to remove the center pin to use a tool like that but it should be able to spread the pads since they move easily inward, then I use some of these to shim wedge.

plastic putty knife.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/a-r...set/1000727514

Usually use 2 on new pads on each side of the center pin to keep the pads between the rotor and the pads.

To spread the pads I just use a vise grip at the center pin location to move the pads in.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 06-12-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Street Rat (06-12-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Darn Brakes Again

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: