Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Hei mech tacho distributor replacement

Old 06-09-2019, 05:12 AM
Doughann
CF Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hei mech tacho distributor replacement

Hi guys/girls, I have a 72 which needs the tacho gear drive in the dist replaced to fix my bouncy tacho. It doesnt seem alot more expensive to replace the dist with a new hei mech tach one by the time they replace all the drive gears etc in the old one. Is this a good option or am I off on my pricing?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:40 AM
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member

Received 531 Likes on 404 Posts

ebay has a billet knock-off one ,complete small cap and coil HEI
Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 AM
midigike
CF Senior Member

Received 117 Likes on 106 Posts

If it were mine, and the car is running well, I would remove the cable and old gear. Inspect the distributor main shaft gear- and if this is good just replace the tach drive gear and cable....
But it could just be a sticky and worn cable too...
Happy hunting...
Old 06-09-2019, 08:42 PM
blk79nj
CF Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Please be aware that the HEI distributor may not fit under the stock ignition shielding. If you are not using the shielding, then this will not be an issue.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:54 PM
ronarndt
CF Senior Member

Received 167 Likes on 138 Posts

There are about a dozen different HEI distributors with tach drive available from aftermarket Corvette suppliers or from ebay for about $100. They are Chinese, but I got one that is decent quality. If it bothers you, you can take off the Chinese components and get replacement parts- but these will most likely be made in Mexico.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:58 PM
PainfullySlow
CF Senior Member

Received 330 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by ronarndt View Post
There are about a dozen different HEI distributors with tach drive available from aftermarket Corvette suppliers or from ebay for about $100. They are Chinese, but I got one that is decent quality. If it bothers you, you can take off the Chinese components and get replacement parts- but these will most likely be made in Mexico.
The Chinese ones on EBay are MSD clones so if buying something made in China bothers you, you can just purchase the original MSD ignition system.
The following users liked this post:
ronarndt (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 PM
derekderek
CF Senior Member

Received 674 Likes on 624 Posts

Also though, you could buy a tach drive HEI, hook it up and find you still have the same tach bounce. I would try chucking tach cable in a drill and see how smooth tach reads before buying a dizzy...
The following users liked this post:
Doughann (06-12-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hei mech tacho distributor replacement

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: