C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Crate Motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:15 PM
rodney25
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Default New Crate Motor

Hi All,

I wanted to document my experience with a crate motor company called BluePrint Engines. (I have no affixation with BluePrint nor do I have any financial interest with the company.) I live in NYC and had engines rebuilt by local machine shops. The problem with the local shops is they tell you more of what they are not going to do than what they will do.

My 1975 350 motor developed a blown gasket. The choice was to rebuild or crate motor. I opted for a crate motor with a little more hp and in the future rebuild the numbers matching motor. Manufactures came down to GM Performance or BluepPrint Engines. All others I contacted were more the sales pitch or warranty definition than anything else. Felt like they were protecting themselves and I hadn’t purchased anything. GM Performance has the history and prestige but I could not get in touch with anyone. All my calls were answered by a machine, and to be honest I was not looking forward to dealing with the stealer ship mentality.

Read a lot of negative complaints and warnings about BluePrint so naturally I was very nervous. I contacted BluePrint and was amazed that there was no sales pitch. They answered every question no matter how simple or complex without that old your not buying, and your wasting my time attitude. (I asked an average of 4-5 questions per call per day for 7 days straight.) I got better customer service in one phone call than all the local machine shops and other companies combined. (Think about it, I hadn’t purchased anything yet nor gave any hints that I was going to.) The nail in the coffin was the warranty. Finally I bit the bullet and worked with Ken to create a motor that was perfect for my needs.

The motor arrived, and immediately I was annoyed, not at the motor but the delivery company. Delivery man was leaving the motor in front of my gate and not in the drive way. He told me it was a sidewalk delivery. I had to get firm to have the motor put in the driveway.

The motor came in a sturdy wooden box concealed in a thick plastic bag. After opening, the motor was absolutely perfect. Not a scratch, ding, mark, not even dust. I was amazed at the attention to detail, no paint overspray, all spark plug wires were labeled, all bolts torqued correctly. The exhaust ports were even covered with paper seals labeled BluePrint. A graph even came detailing the engine performance on the dyno complete with technician name. (Unbelievable). I did have a complaint. The motor comes with a flywheel but not installed. I have a manual trans and a manual flywheel is not included nor is a pilot bearing. (Just my opinion but I think it would be a better experience if it was.)

Installed the motor and performed the pre-lube process using BluePrint break-in oil without any issues. And yes the oil color was blue! Started the motor for the first time and saw the oil pressure drop from normal to 0. Naturally I pacniced and immediately shut the motor off. I thought the oil pump was bad or the engine itself. After looking around I saw a small drip of blue oil on the floor. I thought what kind of crap is this. Upon close investigation the oil pleasure switch (transferred from my original engine) was bad. The wire came off and it was leaking. After replacing it everything was perfect. (Sorry BluePrint) I completed the brake in process with no issues at all. I can honestly say the motor is absolutely perfect, no ticking, knocking, oil pressure or vacuum fluctuations etc.

I have to complete the next step in the installation guide which is timing, but I have a few questions before. (I’m not risking the warranty.)
I must say it’s so refreshing to work with a company that stands behind their product and most of all the customer. Now they will not honor things that are your doing like not following the instructions or guidelines. (No one will). My advice is study the install guide, warranty, and web site before you do anything.

I remember reading in forums where someone was complaining about their purchase and the company exec replied with assistance. I say really think about it, the company exec steps in on a forum to assist. (What exec has ever done that!). This company is 100% top notch, no nonsense, no bull, no double talk. Will I purchase from them in the future or recommend to others? You better believe it I will. “Without a doubt or hesitation.” I got better customer service in one phone call than all the companies and local machine shops combined. Other companies can take a lesson.

I’ll update with the next process timing shortly after I ask another round of questions.

The following 4 users liked this post by rodney25:
Jstan2014 (07-23-2019), REELAV8R (06-23-2019), sstonebreaker (06-25-2019), TinCanSailor (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 01:41 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Glad you’re having a good experience with them so far. I remember the incident that you spoke of well. I also remembet that it was likely the buyers error. I’ve noted a number of positive experiences on here since. Never bought a thing from Blueprint, but I wouldn’t hesitate if their product matched my needs.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:46 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Nice review. Thanks fo the info.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:42 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Congratulations, there are more and more companies getting on the wagon of craftsmanship and service.may you have decades of enjoyment with your engine.
Just a note the late c3 corvettes as of yet haven't exactly been skyrocketing in value, I fail to see the sense of spending money on a numbers matching engine.an early c3 yes but a late model no way.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:16 PM
C3_DH
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

I may go this route on my car in the future, and from your post I might use this company. Amazing how one bad review can really turn things down for a company. Too bad for them if the reviewer giving the thumbs down was in the wrong too.
Anyway, thanks for the informative post, I do not know if i want to do a full rebuild or get a crate, but will keep this post in mind!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:11 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Good to hear. I had a similar experience with BP. Very helpful both on the phone and over email on various questions. I love my 383.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:33 PM
tehjrow
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm in the process of pulling the engine out of my 1981 to put in a BluePrint 383 stroker
Old 06-24-2019, 11:26 PM
rodney25
Instructor

Ok time for next update. After the initial break-in was completed I moved to stage 5 Engine Timing. I removed the vacuum hose from distributer and plugged. I check advanced timing first and my thought was this was not needed because the engine was ordered with distributer and balancer installed and the engine was dyne tested. I was wrong, the advanced timing was off. I increased rpm to 3500 and set 34 degree mark on the balancer lined to 0 on the timing marker. I let the motor idle down and then back to 3500rpm and rechecked the advanced timing. Perfect on 34 degrees. However after the engine idled down to normal (8 to 10 rpm) the initial timing was 17-18. The install guide indicated if initial timing is not between 10 to 16 contact BluePrint for assistance. Naturally I was worried and spent the night wondering what could be the problem, carburetor, distributer etc. Next morning I called with a new round of questions. I immediately got (Andrew) and explained the process and results. Andrew informed that this is not a concern, but you could reduce the advanced timing a degree or two. I reduced to 33 and checked the initial timing again. (14 degrees!!!!) I triple check and all 3 times 33 advanced and 14 initial perfect.
I had to laugh and though not only do I worry too much, but I must seem like a real nut case to Andrew, Ken and team and if the were considering call block on my number. The amazing thing is I got the same comment at the end if each call "If you have any questions at all contact us, that's what we're here for." (I don't get that from my doctor.)

Next step is the first drive. Will update with this shortly.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:45 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Just FYI - they advised me NOT to run vacuum advance. And it runs great.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:23 PM
rodney25
Instructor

That's interesting, Was there a reason why?
Old 06-25-2019, 12:24 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by jim-81
Just FYI - they advised me NOT to run vacuum advance. And it runs great.
I second that one. They said not to.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:29 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Cleetus McFarland and crew toured BluePrint Engine's facility on day 4 of their recent Rocky Mountain Race Week coverage although they didn't advertise it (I think BluePrint didn't pay them to advertise so they didn't add them to any social media tags); it's worth checking out just how big this place is and how they offer new crate motors so cheap.

-The machine that puts the rings on the pistons in about 1 second each is particularly impressive: This link should take you to the video @ 22:45 when they go inside BluePrint:
They have 8 dynos...

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 06-25-2019 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wee (06-28-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 12:41 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

I'm glad you had a good experience.

I put in one of their aluminum head 496's last year. I had been looking at them and pretty much made up my mind, then went to their tent at Barrett Jackson. I managed to get 10% off by ordering there. COOL!
I had them switch out the intake manifold for a Performer instead to reduce the engine height and drop the max power rpm. The engine arrived and (luckily) I had called ahead and read that they would not (FedEx) bring it up my drive way which is very steep. So I made sure I had my brother over and I slipped the guy a $20 and the 3 of us easily pushed it up into the garage. No problem. The engine was beautiful and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalmost perfect.

I will suggest to anyone ordering from them to go over the specs on the web page in detail. The specs on mine were wrong in 3 places: 1) It was a 1 piece rear seal, the page said opposite (I caught that one early), 2) It did not say it was a Mark VI block (which is a better block) which caused 2 problems. It didn't have the hole for the nub for my manual clutch Z-bar and it did NOT have a hole for a mechanical fuel pump when the web page clearly said it did. So I had to go to a hydraulic clutch (which looking back was expensive but a great improvement) and an electric fuel pump which BluePrint reimbursed me for. So they at least stood by it. Just make sure to clarify all the points so you know exactly what you\re getting.

It started right up (3rd crank) and ran well. Everything checked out. Since then I have about 2500 miles on it. It runs like a bat out of hell! One change I have made is that I switched over to the Holley Sniper with all Hyperspark ignition. I did it because of vapor lock, ease of starting in all conditions, and smoother low RPM cruising. I see that you can get them with EFI now. Sweet!

I would highly recommend them too. And if you can double up a car show where they are, you might save some cash too!

The following 2 users liked this post by scottjamison:
cardo0 (07-04-2019), mitch.1972vette (07-17-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 12:48 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

this is good to hear as I'm thinking of the 383 for one of my projects
Old 06-25-2019, 04:15 PM
ConnecticutJunkman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It's good to hear positive things about a company for once.
Anyone can build a motor.In this day and age its good customer service that sets you apart from the rest.
I just learned they make 383 shortblocks... my old edelbrock rpm heads might be finding a new place to sit.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Crm318
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a blueprint 383 with the roller cam and aluminum heads and it runs fantastic. The only suggestion I would make is ditch the garbage champion 792 spark plugs they suggest. After 500 miles they fouled and the motor had a horrible idle. I installed a set if NGK (TR55 I believe) and I was back in business. BP 383 is the best money I have ever spent on my vette.

Last edited by Crm318; 06-25-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:40 PM
cookiesbydad
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which Blueprint motor did you get? I'm looking at the BP3501CTC1 and a couple of people on the summit racing site asked about it fitting in a '78 or '79. The response was not clear....there might be a problem with the intake and carb and air cleaner being taller... but no firm response. Curious which one you got. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To New Crate Motor

Old 06-27-2019, 08:31 PM
Crm318
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the BP38313CT1. I used a summit brand highrise dual plane spread bore intake, Cliff Ruggles quadrajet and a 1.75" drop base air cleaner.

The following users liked this post:
mitch.1972vette (07-17-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 08:44 PM
rodney25
Instructor

Wow that's funny. That's the model I picked BP3501CTC1. Wanted a daily driver for the reliability but more hp than stock. Didn't want aluminum heads or block was afraid of warping. Nor a stroker, not a fan of stroker. They are great just not my cup of tea. Didn't want anything to crazy. The wood crate is well constructed however I do advise having a good place to keep it until your ready to install. I had a horrible experience with the delivery company hope yours is better. The engine is a standard block. The intake and carb don't sit too high both standard. The intake isn't an Edelbrock or Holly but I suspect it has the same specs. When I ordered all the other engine parts from Summit & RockAuto I ordered for a 1975 350 and they all bolted on no problem. (The block is not 1975)

Last edited by rodney25; 06-27-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:19 PM
rodney25
Instructor

Next update: Did a last check, and took the car out on the street for test drive. OMG is this engine smooth as silk. Did not rev or anything. Just a nice cool drive. Oil pressure, RPM's and water temp all in the green and smooth. I wish you all were here to feel and hear this thing. Best this car has ever felt. I had to order new accelerator cable bracket to better fit the Holley.

I did put the air cleaner on and closed the hood (L88 hood). Air cleaner cleared with no problems. Bottomline this company is awesome!!!!! Don't limit yourself by other peoples issues or comments. Not discrediting others but seems to me this company takes a great deal of pride in there product and customer AND IT SHOWS. And to think, I almost missed out.
My advise to BluePrint: Don't change a thing!!!!!! and branch out to foreign engine building (Toyota, Honda, BMW etc).

Next update after a 200/250 miles.

Quick Reply: New Crate Motor