C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Electrical Issue

Old 07-07-2019, 01:37 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Strange Electrical Issue

My 69 has had it's share of electrical issues, most of which I have solved. But this one has got me somewhat perplexed, and I was wondering if anyone else has run into it. It seems that when I mount my horn relay/key buzzer where it should be (on the driver side inner fender in the upright position), none of the car's electrical system works. I always know the problem exists because the emergency flashers don't work. I have 12.8 volts from the thick red wire on the relay to ground, so I know I am getting voltage there. Here's the really strange part: If I take the relay off the inner fender and let it flop sideways, all the electrical system functions!. I have replaced the relay once thinking for sure that was the issue. I did notice that the previous owner did not have it mounted on the inner fender so this is not a new issue. Below is a pic of how I can get the electrical system to work - if I mount it as it should be, no juice flows to start the car..

Old 07-07-2019, 01:55 PM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

Do you have a black, orange and 2 red together on terminal? Then a black and pink-dk blue-black from case and a green to horn?
Old 07-07-2019, 05:00 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,114 Likes on 725 Posts

Maybe start wiggling some of those wires with the relay out and see if they maintain continuity. Just for curiosity's sake, bench test the relay in various orientations, although I kind of doubt that will matter.

Last edited by ignatz; 07-07-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:33 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Yes, all the wires are there - however I had the green horn wire off as it is shorted to ground somewhere, most likely in the steering wheel column wiring or the horn relay.
I'll replace the steering column turn signal switch and horn relay later this summer.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:36 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ignatz
Maybe start wiggling some of those wires with the relay out and see if they maintain continuity. Just for curiosity's sake, bench test the relay in various orientations, although I kind of doubt that will matter.
Well it must be one of 4 wires, since when I move the relay about the emergency flashers will stop and then start up as I relay the wires. I think I'll got a good lead on this now. Apparently someone in the past just twisted wires together without
soldering the connection or using a connector. Yuck!
Old 07-08-2019, 10:29 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Bubbalicious!
Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'd bet that fusible link is toast. At least the wire to/from it. That's why it works in one position and not the other. Twist it just right and the ends make enough contact to work.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:01 AM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TimAT
I'd bet that fusible link is toast. At least the wire to/from it. That's why it works in one position and not the other. Twist it just right and the ends make enough contact to work.
That was my first thought, but it doesn't look like the culprit. I twisted and turned it but the flashers kept working. It appears to be a connection made by a previous owner whereas he wrapped the wires together, but didn't
solder them or apply a connector to get a good mechanical bond. When I moved this wire about, the flashers went off and on so it appears to be the culprit. I'm going to solder the new connection together today to test.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange Electrical Issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange Electrical Issue