C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking gas from sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Peter G
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking gas from sending unit

My’68 is leaking gas from the sending unit. I found that the locking collar was loose. I ordered new o rings. In replacing the o ring I found that the locking collar still would not hold the sending unit in place securely. The locking collar turns by hand and doesn’t compress the o ring for a tight seal. It would seem that I need a fatter o ring? Also, this gas tank was replace by the previous owner and all parts appear to be in new condition. Just continues to drip. Ideas?
Old 07-07-2019, 05:05 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

I had a similar issue and the O rings are supplied by different vendors in different sizes unintentionally. I found the O ring supplied below worked.
http://www.gastanks.com/1963-74-Corv...uctinfo/20-13/
Old 07-08-2019, 06:55 AM
Peter G
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks exactly the same as what I have. Curious to find out if it’s thicker. I understand the tab is supposed to be at the wire connection. I’m going out to the local auto parts store to see if they have something. If not I’ll send away for your recommendation. Thanks for your input.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking gas from sending unit

Quick Reply: Leaking gas from sending unit