C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O-ring brakes: do they need SS inserts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 01:28 PM
Jytky
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O-ring brakes: do they need SS inserts?

Hi.
I am not sure if I have SS inserts in my brake calibers (1969 C3), they are still attached in the car but need some rebuilding.

IF they are all cast iron, can I rebuild the calibers (if they are in decent shape) and change to O-rings (assuming they are now in original form and have lip seals)?

OR, do the O-rings fit ONLY into SS inserts? Pistons need to be changed, right?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2019, 01:25 AM
Kim72
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Unless you know the history of your car, since it rolled out of the showroom, I'd bet the farm your calipers are already SS lined. I mean it's been 50 years!! Regardless, you need to start with SS liners to change to o-ring seals anyway. Yes you will need new pistons. Most venders carry kits (pistons & seals) to make this change. IMHO this is a good change to make. I know others will disagree.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:55 AM
Jytky
6th Gear

Thanks, the history of the car is unknown.

And it has been sitting the most of the year, not driven. Master cylinder has been changed, but after bleeding the pedal didn´t stay stiff too long. Sounds like typical lip seal symptom?

Old 07-09-2019, 04:26 PM
gg521
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Do you need SS lined calipers? Like someone else said they have probably been already added. However, after SS lining, they are the same inner diameter as they were before. SO "Technically" you do not need the liners. However, if your calipers are that old and have not been SS lined they are not rebuildable as they are probably corroded beyond any rebuild that you could do. Even "O" ring calipers fail as the "O" ring does not last forever. I have used the "O" ring calipers for competition and the "O" ring need to be replaced on an annual basis because of the high heat. There are also "O" rings that will withstand higher heat that others. I believe that they are red in color and probably made from silicone rubber. Somebody here can probably tell you where to get them if you want. I currently used willwood calipers which also use an "o" ring but a different design that the Delco caliper. Even here because of the high heat that they see, they need to be replaced every so often.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Jytky
6th Gear

Thanks for good info! Corvette is "new" car for me, so I´m learning a lot all the time.

I found something intresting about brakes here: http://www.cssbinc.com/corvette-brak...ers-parts.aspx
Old 07-10-2019, 02:54 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I went with the calipers I had when I bought the car....SS lined, thankfully, did the O ring conversion and went with DOT 5 fluid, to put a stop to rust/corrosion....silicone fluid.....it won't absorb water.....
Old 07-10-2019, 05:44 PM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Kim72
Unless you know the history of your car, since it rolled out of the showroom, I'd bet the farm your calipers are already SS lined. I mean it's been 50 years!! Regardless, you need to start with SS liners to change to o-ring seals anyway. Yes you will need new pistons. Most venders carry kits (pistons & seals) to make this change. IMHO this is a good change to make. I know others will disagree.
You do not need SS sleeves, if you can hone the bores to get a smooth finish.
I have orings since the early 90's. Still work great, no leaks
Was called ZTI originally.

Get notified of new replies

To O-ring brakes: do they need SS inserts?

Quick Reply: O-ring brakes: do they need SS inserts?