C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Venting EFI tank set-up on a 69

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 02:58 PM
jimrowe0
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Venting EFI tank set-up on a 69

What is everyone doing for venting their EFI tanks? I saw roller valve, vented cap, and a few other suggestions. Just looking for some insight.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:21 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Your '69 should have same tank as my '72,,.....I went to a locking vented cap, and so the pump is below the tank mounted on frame rail, filter on suck side, pump feeds stock 3/8 steel line going forward, return is stock 5/16 line to top of fuel tank on pass side......the left top of tank has a float valve in it mounted high on driver side, that in turn traps the fluid with a float valve but allows venting when no gas present.....that vent goes forward to the charcoal canister, which my canister valve failed in the stuck open position, got lucky so no line needed to the mani vacuum......but mani vac would hold it open anyway.....then the other end of the main lines to/from the canister valve goes to my PORTED vacuum, on my throttle body, not full mani vac.....so it's an input above/forward of the throttle blades....the fumes are consumed by the engine then....and tank sees a very mild vacuum pull on it, and with a vented gas cap, the fumes are gawn , never smell a thing in the garage, even in hot FLORIDA western facing garage with door open and sunlight kill back of the car....no fumes......
Old 07-08-2019, 05:57 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
Your '69 should have same tank as my '72,,.....I went to a locking vented cap, and so the pump is below the tank mounted on frame rail, filter on suck side, pump feeds stock 3/8 steel line going forward, return is stock 5/16 line to top of fuel tank on pass side......the left top of tank has a float valve in it mounted high on driver side, that in turn traps the fluid with a float valve but allows venting when no gas present.....that vent goes forward to the charcoal canister, which my canister valve failed in the stuck open position, got lucky so no line needed to the mani vacuum......but mani vac would hold it open anyway.....then the other end of the main lines to/from the canister valve goes to my PORTED vacuum, on my throttle body, not full mani vac.....so it's an input above/forward of the throttle blades....the fumes are consumed by the engine then....and tank sees a very mild vacuum pull on it, and with a vented gas cap, the fumes are gawn , never smell a thing in the garage, even in hot FLORIDA western facing garage with door open and sunlight kill back of the car....no fumes......
My Holley tank came with a hose and a vent fitting, I mounted it next to the antenna mounting to get it higher than the top of the engine. Works fine.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:29 PM
nyciti
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Assuming you are using a real efi tank from tanks Inc (Holley is Tanks just rebranded for a lot more $) then it has a vent line. The proper way is to run that line to something ported and some type of evap canister for the fumes, smell, and emissions. I made my own evap canister out of a radiator overflow canister. (Fill it with any charcoal filter for fish tanks) One line from the tank vent then ran the line to the roll over valve. I care less about the emissions but a whole lot about the smell!!

Mine works perfectly, my car is stored indoors, no gas smells and tank is vented as required. Gas cap is non-vented one now also. My roll over valve replaced my antenna and filled that hole (I think richard454 did something similar)

Last edited by nyciti; 07-08-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Venting EFI tank set-up on a 69

Quick Reply: Venting EFI tank set-up on a 69