C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on ZZ4, Fastburn 385, and Hotcam 385 GMPP crates

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 12:24 PM
DanTheVetteMan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on ZZ4, Fastburn 385, and Hotcam 385 GMPP crates

Last week my Dad got a line on a pretty good discount on a GMPP crate from a guy he did a job for at Nimnicht Chevy here in Jacksonville. I know crate engines are a fairly hot topic here so bear with me if you will ;) . Dad's car is an original 350/auto ragtop that has an old rebuilt truck engine in it that is probably gonna sling a rod anyday now (original engine is stored). So, he thinks he wants to go with another small block: either the ZZ4, the Fastburn 385, or the Hotcam 385. Will these engines fit underneath the stock small-block hood? Will they pull enough vacuum to operate the headlights? Also, we've got an Edelbrock Torker intake in our garage. If he ordered one of the aforementioned engines sans intake, would the Torker be a good choice for them? I know this is long so thanks for reading and give me your input so I can pass it to Dad. Dan :cool:
Old 11-23-2002, 04:01 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Questions on ZZ4, Fastburn 385, and Hotcam 385 GMPP crates (DanTheVetteMan)

Dan- The basic short block will fit with no problems. The problem will be the intake manifold. The newer Chevrolet heads will not work with older manifolds because of the angle the bolts go into the heads (middle of the head the bolts go in straight). I was able to get an Edelbrock performer to barely to fit under the stock hood on a '77 vette I owned. The top of the air cleaner rub on the insulation. The Edelbrock Performer manifold raises the carb and air cleaner around 3/4 ". The engine should have plenty of vacuum to operate the headlights mechanism.
Dan
Old 11-24-2002, 07:25 PM
DanTheVetteMan
Racer

Default Re: Questions on ZZ4, Fastburn 385, and Hotcam 385 GMPP crates (vettedan)

Thanks for the info. Any other comments? Dan
Old 11-25-2002, 06:26 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: Questions on ZZ4, Fastburn 385, and Hotcam 385 GMPP crates (DanTheVetteMan)

I put the ZZ4 in my '73 about 1,000 miles ago...it's great! I only had trouble with hood clearance because the mechanic that did the swap put a spacer/adapter plate between the intake (ZZ4 style) and the carb (Edelbrock) which I took out and then had no problems (however I think in '73 they used the same hood for both SB and BB). My headlights are slow but they always were...other issues I'm sure.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:00 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Read about my ZZ4 install in my 1980 Corvette at http://www.RedHotVettes.net/zz4/zz41.htm . I tried to cover ther full install of a ZZ4 in a C3 with as much detail as possible.

If you want more HP and not as much torque, go with the 385. The ZZ4 has great torque. You can go with the ZZ430, which is the ZZ4 with a new cam and rockers. Check http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com or http://www.paceparts.com
Sallee Chevy has a chat board such as this, read through there and you will pick up a lot of info.

[Modified by BSeery, 11:02 AM 11/25/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on ZZ4, Fastburn 385, and Hotcam 385 GMPP crates

Quick Reply: Questions on ZZ4, Fastburn 385, and Hotcam 385 GMPP crates