C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Panic Mode With 1969 Lower Control Arm

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 08:15 AM
Rustman Corvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Panic Mode With 1969 Lower Control Arm

I didn't see this coming but I am in so deep I cant turn back. Rebuilding the front end, I noticed some non-original welding on the lower control arm shaft gusset and then I noticed a slight bend in the lower control shaft. I bought a new lower control arm shaft that is straight just to help check some of this out. If the new shaft bolts up ok which includes the 2 front mounting holes in the chassis. can I assume the control is sitting correctly with the frame ??? What else can I check to see if the lower control arm is in the correct place ??? HELP !!!! THANKS !!!!!
Old 06-24-2020, 09:12 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,079 Posts

You can compare it to the other side to see if it's way out (you'll be needing an alignment anyway)
Measure from the mounting bolts (front and rear) to the grease fitting on the ball-joint. Anything else and you're introducing other errors such as frame straightness etc
You could also try for a long measure from the ball-joint to something on the rear spindle (plumb-bob) but again you might be looking at something other than the a-arm being off

M
Old 06-24-2020, 10:19 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

lower control arm mount points. measure the X from left rear to right front and RR to LF. i would think they should be the same measurement.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:28 AM
68blvert
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Put it together. Take to an alignment shop that knows what they're doing. Measurement will tell if anything is wrong. Setback and SAI specs compared to Caster/ Camber will tell if frame is tweaked or arms are bent.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:38 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

If the lower control arm is bent it will show up when you try to do an alignment. Caster will be way off compared to the other side. As long as you can align it and the control arm itself is structurally sound you should be ok.

Get notified of new replies

To New Panic Mode With 1969 Lower Control Arm

Quick Reply: New Panic Mode With 1969 Lower Control Arm