C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 04:20 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (Stingraycrazy)

I don't know who's car it is. I found it on a web site for a German company that modifies Corvettes and American muscle cars. http://www.acp-euskirchen.de/ They do some cool stuff. I like the fender flares, too. It makes me think about putting them on my Vette.

Here are a couple of pictures of the headlights.

The brackets that hold the lights
Old 12-03-2002, 04:34 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (Titanium Rat)

Fikse makes some racing rims like those. I've been dreaming about those rims for a long time.......probably be dreaming for a while.
http://www.fikse.com

Mark
Old 12-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (burners)

Burners, Thanks for the Headlight pics. I think I'll do something like that to my tilt front-end. By the way, I bought my tilt front-end, flares and 82 rear bumper from http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/corvette.html They have everything and they are very reasonable. Also no TAX!!! Those wheels in the picture are BBS from the looks of them. Thanks again... :crazy:
Old 12-03-2002, 08:01 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (Stingraycrazy)

The car is owned by Jörg Vogelsang, the owner of american cars & parts in Euskirchen Germany.

It has brembo's on all 4 corners, C4 dana 44 diff & modified TA's w/ 6 link suspension & koni coil overs front & rear.

I think the car is for sale.

Marck
Old 12-03-2002, 09:31 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (tshort)

This is one thing I always find funny....In the original post Stingraycrazy asked for our opinion on his new wheels. Now, I agree, soundguy was a little harsh but ease up on him, after all, Stingraycrazy DID ask for opinions and that's what soundguy was doing, giving him his opinion.
Okay now, that's off my chest :p:
I could be wrong, but i assumed he was asking opinions on the style, and asking about brake upgrades. anytime you ask about anything bigger than 17" your asking for it, but that dosnt mean you should get negative comments like that. even the little pukey smiley (:U) would have been less offensive. he compared vettes to hondas! thats low.:nonod:

Thanks alot for the compliment Stingraycrazy. this color is amazing. at night it looks as red as they come, but in the day it looks anything from copper-to hugger orange. it has a ton of pearl in it. i consider it to be "Everybody's Orange" some people think some oranges are too yellow, others think they are too red. well im pretty sure this has every possible orange in it. :D what year is your vette? looks like 74-77, and i know it dosent matter with everything your doing to it, but i was just curious. :cheers:

and GroovyJay, Rich (StingrayRacing) hasnt responded to my emails in a while, so it may turn out that i will be keeping my '79. the only way id ever sell it is for a "diamond in the rough" like rich's, but i think he may have already sold it, or has a buyer that can get him the money sooner etc... so i'll probably end up just doing an engine like GDaina's or one of my own creation. i would like EFI, so i may be asking you some questions about that later on. :cheers:
Old 12-03-2002, 09:35 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... ('79ProwlerOrange)

almost forgot, after i get my wheels i plan on buying VBP slotted rotors. ive hears cross-drilled warp under extreme pressure, and that slotted are 5x better than stock. this is the only brake upgrade ive found under $1000. and i personally think my vette's stock brake system kicks ****, but as they say, better, is bettter. :D
Old 12-03-2002, 10:03 PM
vettloverbutnomullet
Intermediate

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (MN-Brent)

Those wheels are beautiful, can't wait to see the finished project...

pfoz
Old 12-03-2002, 10:29 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... ('79ProwlerOrange)

Ben, sounds like a great project. My buddy Mike, "SmokedTires" will be doing something like that soon as well. You can send me an Email anytime. Just ask Mike, I love spending other people’s money. Could you send me the paint info on that color? I got a buddy that can get some good deals at PPG. As far as the brakes go I've heard the same about the cross drilled rotors. As a matter of fact, A Pontiac buddy of mine bought a set of rotors on EBay on the cheap. I went over to look at them and they look awesome for the money. They looked so good that I just bought 4 myself. He lists them all the time, so keep checking. Check it out... :crazy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1873823413
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1873823402

Almost forgot, The body is a 76. It was salvaged from a junkyard, hit in the front HARD!! I got the 72 frame from GA. No Rust! I titled the car a 72 for the smog police :lol:

[Modified by Stingraycrazy, 3:39 AM 12/4/2002]
Old 12-03-2002, 11:07 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (groovyjay)

Well Jay, I finally have a job again, give me a month or so to pay off the credit cards then I can buy some brake parts and prototype some stuff.

Oh BTW I'm mad at you for planting that idea about 14" rotors in my head!:jester:

Stuff deleted...

I like what Keith has done with Wilwood's and he's got some great ideas about better brakes. I hope he'd start making the kit for us ;)

More stuff deleted
Old 12-03-2002, 11:29 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

ill get the info for you as soon as i can, i think the leftover paint is in storage right now, so i don't have a code, but its Prowler Orange. its what Chrysler uses on the new Prowlers. and IMHO it looks 1,000,000 times better on C3s. mainly because C3s have so many curves for the pearl to react.

also, and this may just be my lack of brake knowledge showing, theoretically, couldn't you have 14" or 15" rotors machined at a machine shop? i know the calipers wouldn't cover the whole surface, but just having a bigger rotor should help with braking...
Old 12-04-2002, 09:14 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Stingraycrazy , the side pipes what I have are custom made. The headers I have are from Stahl.

Here's the image:

The primaries are 2 1/8" and the collector is 3.5". The muffles bits of the side pipes are full 4" wirh spiral baffles inside them.

Here's link to my sidepipe thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=392021
:cheers:
Old 12-04-2002, 09:16 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

'79ProwlerOrange I haven't seen him posting here for wahile, maybe he got the car sold. I so want to see that car yours finished. You've done lot of good work on it so far, so keep it up man! :cheers:
Old 12-04-2002, 09:19 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (427V8)

427V8, That's great news Keith! Congrats on your new job, feeling very happy for ya. Just let me know when you're ready for some prototyping. I've done about zillion photochops to get the idea how that 14" set would look like. It's gonna be a real killer! :cheers:
Old 12-04-2002, 09:23 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

to tell the truth i am liking the idea of building my own 427-500+ci 600hp monster. :D but i am impatient, and hate spending more than i should. but then i guess i chose the wrong hobby didn't I? :lol:

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 7:23 AM 12/4/2002]
Old 12-04-2002, 09:27 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

:lol: Yeah I hear ya. In that caes don't click on MIKER's thread about the new Crate BB... :lol:
Old 12-04-2002, 09:34 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

already did :cry :lol: :lol:
Old 12-04-2002, 11:23 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

IMO - I just can't see that tall combo working. 29.3 diameter is way to much and 295's need a minumum of 10 inch wheel to work. I also think that you will find high mileage tires really turn into grease after a few heat cycles. My GoodYear F-1's could be used to try and do 1/8th mile burnouts.

295/40YR20 106Y SL 340 A A
2094lbs.
44psi
10/32nds
10-11.5" This is the recomended rim width
10.5"
11.6"
NA
29.3" This is the tire diameter.
NA

Get notified of new replies

To Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes...

Old 12-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Jay,

Thanks Jay, I'll need to come out the side in the same way, but without the headers. How much clearance do you have under the exhaust at the 90 degree bend. I would like to get a set of pipes like Mikes "SmokedTires" Vette with the shields.

Gkull, As far as tires go, I just need something to roll it around the garage. Your right though, the Ultras probably won't last long. The 295's are just under 29" for the rear. (I measured) That's only an inch larger than stock at the radius. I was looking for a better contact patch for traction. Looking to go 255/35ZR20 for the front. I'll look closer at the tire size once the ZL1 flares are fitted.

Thanks go to everyone else who posted, Good and Bad... :crazy:
Old 12-05-2002, 07:16 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

I'd say there's a good 1" clearence. I think the pipes Mike has are Hookers with baffles inde and JCL heat sheat shields. :cheers:
Old 12-05-2002, 07:35 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (MN-Brent)

Big Pimpin.... I like um. Bling Bling. :D I think it will just take time to get use to the look. I would switch to 17-20" in a heartbeat just for the improved handling.

Quick Reply: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes...