C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 08:10 PM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

Default ? Oil Pressure

Fresh rebuilt L79 sbc. I converted to roller cam. I'm running 10w40 Gibbs HR5 oil. At startup cold my pressure is a solid 80psi. At operating temperature I run 70psi at idle. I am not comfortable with this. How would I lower pressure?

Last edited by twinpack; 02-28-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:58 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,203 Likes on 2,758 Posts

Google says to temporarily install a mechanical oil pressure gauge ( high pressure tubing runs from engine pressure port to temporary oil pressure gauge) to make sur the dash gauge is reading correctly.
If the mechanical gauge and the dash gauge read about the same, either the oil filter is clogged or the oil pump pressure relief valve is clogged/stuck closed.
Change the oil filter..if the pressure remains high...clean the oil pressur relief valve or replace it.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:23 PM
randallsteel
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Did you change the oil pump during the rebuild?
if you replaced it with a high volume or high pressure unit then I think the numbers you have are expected.
If it’s a stock type oil pump and the pressures were lower before the rebuild I would question the clearances of the mains.
how to fix? If you did use a high vol/press pump, drop the pan and swap in a stock type.

Last edited by randallsteel; 02-28-2021 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:38 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Go to Summit and search Mellings Oil Pump SPRINGS. No need to swap the whole pump, but it will still need to come out and be placed in a vise.
A little drift pin in the pump contains the spring inside. The springs are sold by color codes and that represents the PSI.

It is NOT high oil pressure that makes the valve covers leak. It is NOT high oil pressure that makes the china wall leak or other gaskets.

Myself, I would let it go. Your pressure is a whole lot better than the alternative.
The following users liked this post:
Sayfoo (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 03:56 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Go to Summit and search Mellings Oil Pump SPRINGS. No need to swap the whole pump, but it will still need to come out and be placed in a vise.
A little drift pin in the pump contains the spring inside. The springs are sold by color codes and that represents the PSI.

It is NOT high oil pressure that makes the valve covers leak. It is NOT high oil pressure that makes the china wall leak or other gaskets.

Myself, I would let it go. Your pressure is a whole lot better than the alternative.
The pump would be my guess also. Change the filter first--easiest. Then drop the pan and make sure the oil intake is clear, then address the pump spring.
I would fix it.

Last edited by Sayfoo; 03-01-2021 at 04:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
twinpack (03-06-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To ? Oil Pressure

Quick Reply: ? Oil Pressure