C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE PERFORMANCE.........DOES IT MAKE A CORVETTE A CORVETTE...COMMENTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 12:28 AM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: ENGINE PERFORMANCE.........DOES IT MAKE A CORVETTE A CORVETTE...COMMENTS (Oldguard 7)

Recently I posted a topic about old corvette prices were they too high and then the issue changed into BBvsSB and so on. Do you think engine performance makes a corvette a corvette? Let's hear what you have to say.

[Modified by Oldguard 7, 11:19 PM 12/13/2002]
Lets get back to the original thought... NO - engine performance does not make a corvette a corvette... way to many examples of great "corvettes" with a fairly significant variety of engines. Of course performance is a blessing - but being a corvette comes from being a plastic/fiberglass body coupe with edgey styling that costs a lot of money to buy and is really not a practical car... its a true sports car. There are many others out there - this one just happens to be GM's best effort (think Riatta or Fiero) and is and has been world class... This topic really brings out the editorials!
Old 12-15-2002, 01:02 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: ENGINE PERFORMANCE.........DOES IT MAKE A CORVETTE A CORVETTE...COMMENTS (Carl in LA)

Interesting thread to read... thanks! I went through the list of people who have answered so far and at last count those who have some notation of the specs of their vette have modified the engine in some way to give it performance. About 5:1......

Even Superfast80 who noted the *peanut gallery* thoughts is running a 355.

A vette is a vette is a vette... I agree. Maybe it's just this forum that drives people over the edge to modify them.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:30 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: ENGINE PERFORMANCE.........DOES IT MAKE A CORVETTE A CORVETTE...COMMENTS (bgrice)

What makes a Corvette a Corvette? Get a copy of the Corvette 1953-2003 cd (from GM Restoration Parts #A1CV03H1), and review the heritage photographs and Corvette advertisements over the past 50 years. That cd will tell you what a Corvette is as-well-as anything.

Engine performance is but one of many characteristics associated with the Corvette. The Corvette is a total package, body style, engine, suspension, interior, heritage, etc....

Some Corvettes "excel" at one or more of these characteristics, but remember, one person's "excellence" can be anothers "PITA".

Narrow definitions of what constitutes a "REAL" Corvette abound: NCRS 100% correct, NCRS Survivor, "must have performance mods", straight axle, single headlight, dual headlights, non pop-up headlights, pop-up headlights, chrome bumper, heavy "teeth", big block, pre- 19XX (fill in the year of choice), "must have been raced in a sanctioned event", Minimum HP, no cup holders, etc, etc, etc, ...

By what criteria do you want to be excluded from the group?

I enjoy and appreciate them all. A Corvette is, ...., well look at the VIN.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:19 AM
Stingraycrazy
Racer

Default Re: ENGINE PERFORMANCE.........DOES IT MAKE A CORVETTE A CORVETTE...COMMENTS (Oldguard 7)

I like to compare Corvette's to Sex! :thumbs: Simply stated it’s all about Performance... :crazy:
Old 12-16-2002, 12:28 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Oldguard: Quit laying these minefields!! I'm still picking steel splinters out of my carcass after your post about old Corvette prices :D
Now this question and you KNOW I have to post my answer. Okay...let me zip on the asbestos suit and flak vest and give it a try. But, I DID learn a few things from your last topic ;)
Lets look at the question closely:

Do you think engine performance makes a corvette a corvette?

Well...this sorta depends on what EACH INDIVIDUAL considers his Corvette really is. You can see from the various responses that people have diffferent ideas of what performance should be in a Corvette. Some are happy with the stock engines from the late 70's. Others can't wait to yank them out and modify them. Still others buy a Vette with the full intention of yanking the motor out (that's me). Some folks are more interested in image or heritage than performance. Others are more interested in a "balanced" performance car.

Here's a question you might want to ask yourself before answering the topic question:

Would I buy a Corvette if it DIDN'T have a performance engine in it?

To be perfectly honest, I WOULDN"T buy a Corvette if it didn't have a performance engine in it. It wouldn't BE a Corvette no matter what the VIN numbers or emblems stuck on the car might say. Picture a V6 engine like the ones in the Monte Carlo in a Vette. They are a nice, smooth, reliable, PEPPY engine. But they are NOT a performance engine. Okay...NOW answer Oldguards question:

Do you think engine performance makes a corvette a corvette?

I would have to say yes, with the qualification they aren't the ONLY thing that make it a Vette. But I WOULD say they are an important thing.

Dep...retiring to his flame-proof bunker and hunkering down for the expected attacks :jester
Old 12-16-2002, 02:58 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: ENGINE PERFORMANCE.........DOES IT MAKE A CORVETTE A CORVETTE...COMMENTS (Dep)

Dep...retiring to his flame-proof bunker and hunkering down for the expected attacks :jester
Dep, There really are easier ways to lose weight! :lol:

But, speaking for me, I agree with you about a Vette needing a performance engine to truly be a Vette. Without one, it is just another pretty car going down the road with a body promising more speed than it can honestly deliver. But I know many folks truly don't care about the power, they are even thrilled with the peppy nature of their Honda Accord.

I used to think Corvettes were over rated until I got my first ride/drive in a 1972 convertible with 454 and 4 speed. I was hooked! My '69 Dodge Charger with a 318 was a really nice car, but it just wasn't the same after that drive in the Vette.

Chuck
Old 12-16-2002, 03:06 AM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ENGINE PERFORMANCE.........DOES IT MAKE A CORVETTE A CORVETTE...COMMENTS (Dep)

No ones gonna flame you for that response Dep( I hope) I just think that the smog motors contitute the best that technology had to offer at the time while still offering a "street legal" vehicle at the time. In other words as the smog ****'s were having ther way( and they still do to a major exstint) the technology did not exist to perduce a high horsepower 2 seater that could legally be sold in America(California). So they opted for what the Europeans call a grand tourer!(79-82)
Some may feel they just should have stopped production, but knowing the general that would probably have signalled the permanant deathnell for our star spangled roadster,never to be seen again. The vette would've been another another dead muscle/performance car from the great performance car era. So, long live the Corvette. These smog cars were not complete dogs in comparison to there performance car contemporaries and most make great starter vettes today( read pull/modify the stock engine)

Old 12-16-2002, 03:16 AM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Let me add this, I think a corvette should be sexy as hell to look at and fun as hell to drive!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2002, 07:16 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: ENGINE PERFORMANCE.........DOES IT MAKE A CORVETTE A CORVETTE...COMMENTS (sharkthehunter77)

Interesting points all! I think that a Vette should have a hot engine,but as every racer knows,eventually somebody else will win the race. The Corvette IMO wins even standing still.Especially the C-3's!!!!!!! :cheers:
Old 12-16-2002, 10:17 AM
Koz

Here's a question you might want to ask yourself before answering the topic question:

Would I buy a Corvette if it DIDN'T have a performance engine in it?
When I bought my car what I really liked was that it was the original engine and no engine upgrades. I guess it's back to the Original vs Mods debate. While I enjoy sitting in a piece of history having the extra ponies under the hood wouldn't hurt either. Guess I need two cars.. :cheers:
Old 12-16-2002, 10:47 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I agree that the overall package defines a Corvette but you have to have power. Obviously there will always be somebody faster but you have to be able to hold your own and that takes HP.

Quick Reply: ENGINE PERFORMANCE.........DOES IT MAKE A CORVETTE A CORVETTE...COMMENTS