C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! Vette won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 06:32 PM
madmaxgt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! Vette won't start!

Well I made it to Alabama from Missouri! The trip went well and the trailer worke great. Today I went out to unload and when I tried to start it "no luck" She turns over and cranks and cranks but will not start! I verified that the carb is getting gas and the fuel pump is working. I pulled a plug (#1) and it was "very wet" but did show spark. I thought that mabye it was just flooded since I smelled gas and the wet plug, but even after waiting, "no dice" she always started right up and loaded on to the trailer fine. Is there anything that might have came loose or could have happened in tow that might have caused this? Any suggestions are welcome, right now im so frustrated I will try anything. Please Help!...MAX
Old 12-14-2002, 07:50 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Re: HELP!!!! Vette won't start! (madmaxgt)

I'd get a fresh set of plugs, open the choke and pin it open and try starting it againe. Sounds like it's flooded, but make sure it IS getting spark. you could also try a little Ether starting fluid? :yesnod:

[Modified by killain, 8:40 PM 12/14/2002]
Old 12-14-2002, 07:59 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're getting fuel and spark, you might want to check the distributor and make sure it's not loose (timing way off).
Old 12-14-2002, 08:07 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is a factory HEI type distributor, the pigtail that connects power to the dist could have come off. Over the years, the clips on either side that hold it in place break off. It is not unheard of for the power lead to come loose and it sure as Dickens' aint gonna start then. :rolleyes:

With all due respect, I disagree completely with the other post that the timing could "be way off." If it was, either way too retarded or way too advanced, you would hear the engine popping either thru the intake OR the exhaust.

Don't get me wrong :cool: I am not saying that my suggestion is the ONLY reason that a car may not start....but it is the first thing I would check.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!!! Vette won't start!

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! Vette won't start!