C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommend me a header!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 08:15 PM
Enkil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me a header!

Alright, planning ahead for tax return season, so I figured I'd get a full exhaust. They need to be of good quality, I don't mind paying 5-600 on a set of headers. They also need to be emissions legal. I'm also not against getting a cheap, uncoated pair of good-flowing headers and then sending them off to jet hot or something like that. Further, I plan on running true dual's with 3" pipes all the way back, through some free-flowing cats and then perhaps into a set of Borla's. (love the sound, though I wish they could be a wee bit cheaper)

So, that's what I'm looking for...

Also, on a completely unrelated issue, occasionally my car sets a code 24. It usually happens when I'm turning the HVAC controls on or off, but it only flashes for a fraction of a second.

Old 12-31-2002, 08:37 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Recommend me a header! (Enkil)

For out of the box legality you are probably forced to go Hedman. However most smog men will allow the header if it has all the requisite parts which means you could go with any of them and have the AIR rails added after the fact.

Hookers (headers) are probably ther best - highest quality, then somewhere after that (based mostly on opinion) is dynomax and hedman. I have hedmans and like them very much, although mine required a little (1/8" or less) dimple to clear the idler arm.

Dynomax are good headers - all can be had with jet hot coating. Although if you want to add air rails to a set that didnt have them, then you would most likely be best served buying a plain (painted) set - having the tubes welded on, and then send the sent out for jet hot coating.

I have left out all the other manufacturers such as Sanderson, Thorley et. al. as I have no expereince with them.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:32 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Recommend me a header! (fauxrs)

I have the Hedman thermal coated headers on my '77, they go for $260, and you can also get them in emmissions legal form. I had no problem with the fit and finish of them and I like them very much, they greatly reduced undehood and interior temperatures too. My mechanic also loved how well they fit, how easy they were to install, and how they really didn't hang down like other headers. Good headers at a good price. If you want the best though, the Hooker coated headers are by far the best and you will pay $500-600 for them. I'm not sure how to make them emmisions legal though, you should probably give them a call. Good luck with whatever you choose :cheers:
Old 01-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Recommend me a header! (Enkil)

I just installed headers from Hedman. Got them from Jet-Hot. About $500 and they welded an 02 sensor fitting (bung) on the driver's side colletor for me before they coated them. Fit was excelent. After reading the other posts, they do hang down a bit further than I'd like, but it would otherwise have clearance probs with the tranny gear selector. It doesn't look like it'll be a problem though (it's not 'that' low). Here's a link to some pics (towards bottom of page). http://www.c3vettes.com/chris_81_5.html

I used Percy's aluminum flange gaskets and Stage 8 locking bolts, and a pair of copper collector flange gaskets I got from Jegs with stainless bolts. Staying with 2.5" pipes to a Car Sound cat, and mandrel bent rear Y pipes and probably Dynomax Ultraflow mufflers (I'll know tomorrow when I'm at the muffler shop). :yesnod:

I noticed you're in Raleigh. There's a club rally next weekend (11th) sponsored by the Wilson club, and our club is getting together on Sunday in Raleigh. Haven't decided what we're doing though.... Send me an email if you're interested in some info. :cheers:

BTW, your code 24 is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor).

[Modified by Chris81, 9:26 PM 1/5/2003]
Old 01-05-2003, 09:36 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Default Re: Recommend me a header! (Chris81)

I have the same headers as Chris (Hedman #68301) which are smog legal. I didn't get them coated to save money. They are already tarnished looking after a year and very few miles. I say if you you want to spend the extra money get them coated like Chris' to make them last longer and run cooler. I have a feeling I may be getting my coated in the future.
good luck!
-terry

Get notified of new replies

To Recommend me a header!

Quick Reply: Recommend me a header!