C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'72 wiper motor - this SHOULD be a ground, correct?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 09:47 AM
CamByLee
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default '72 wiper motor - this SHOULD be a ground, correct?

Hi,

I'm working on a friend's '72. I just got the motor back in, and in the process of hooking things up. The car was in pretty nice shape but, like most cars this old, people have done some strange things! I've got notes, photos and some video, but would still appreciate being double-checked. I had to leave the country to check on a family member, and the car sat for a month without me touching it (memory isn't what it used to be!).

On with wiper motor, this terminal IS for "ground", correct?

And does that appear to be the correct connector for that terminal?

What is causing me to pause and question this, is that the wire used is "red" with red shrink-tubing on it. Using all-red for a ground triggers my OCD!! This wire has a ring-terminal on the other end, and was connected with a bunch of other wires with a bolt holding the torque converter dust cover on (also seems like a poor way to connect grounds).

Thank you
Old 07-15-2022, 12:20 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,384 Posts

That does appear to be the correct wiper motor case ground. It should be under one of the screws for the washer pump attachment. As for the other end of the ground... I don't know because it's buried in my wire harness and not independent. You can easily get a wiring schematic here on the forum with a search. I'll look up mine and see what I can add.
The following users liked this post:
CamByLee (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 12:25 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,384 Posts

The wiper motor is connected to the blower motor and then to starter as a ground.

CamByLee (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 12:37 PM
CamByLee
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks! That is a better diagram than what I was working with.

Somebody previously added a VintageAir system, so the original blower motor is gone. I found some wires dangling, not connected to anything, and I suspect those went to the blower.

There are a few other wires that have been clipped, but not capped off - I HATE to find things like that!!
Old 07-15-2022, 01:11 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

a lot of things like head-park and tail lights, horns, stuff like that ground to the shgeet metal bracket they attach to. and they in turn have to be grounded to the frame or engine. a tail light can lose ground in about 6 different places.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:58 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,229 Likes on 1,736 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by derekderek
a lot of things like head-park and tail lights, horns, stuff like that ground to the shgeet metal bracket they attach to. and they in turn have to be grounded to the frame or engine. a tail light can lose ground in about 6 different places.

And GM did the ground wires in the harness a really cheesy way- here's the headlight harness grounding- so adding an extra from the wiper motor would not be a bad idea-

CamByLee (07-16-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To '72 wiper motor - this SHOULD be a ground, correct?

Quick Reply: '72 wiper motor - this SHOULD be a ground, correct?