C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT Interlock Cable or Steering Column Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 03:43 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts
Default MT Interlock Cable or Steering Column Problem?

I swapped out the TH400 for an M20 about 2 years ago and have loved it, although MPG has risen.
Lately I've been having problems shifting into Reverse for shutdown and Key removal.
First it became harder and harder in finding Reverse. Once it did, no problem in Key rotation and removal from Ignition Switch. Now it won't shift into Reverse at all. I did stand up the frame and crawled under the car to inspect the Interlock Cable's attachment nuts at the Reverse Arm and the Cable's Guide Plate for any backing off or looseness. All looked fine to me.
From on top, the Steering Column's Lock Lever just does not want to be pushed up all the way up by the Interlock Cable from the Shifter. Something is not wanting the Tranny to go into Reverse Gear.

Should my next step be to undo the Interlock Cable at the top where it attaches to the Column's Lock, and would I be right in then assuming that IF I could easily shift into Reverse AND the Interlock Cable's end extends full up, the problem lies within the Steering Column (Key mechanism)?

Feel a bit stupid in asking since I've rebuilt this Tilt/Telescopic Column earlier, as well as a friend's standard Column, and learned much about them from The Shea Writings. But I'm wanting input for others.

Thanks much.
Steve

Old 09-05-2022, 07:03 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 813 Likes on 517 Posts

I’ve only ever had standard shift, but thinking the lock system works in a similar way. If you can reach down the firewall from eng compartment, work that leaver by hand. If it completely goes to lock position, and key cylinder rotates to allow key removal, I would guess the cable is the issue.
. When I switched to a 5spd, I made a small strut to keep the lock from engaging, Therefore, my key comes out in any gear. But I no longer have that safety..
​​​​​…
The following 2 users liked this post by 60 SHARK:
71 Green 454 (09-05-2022), Cavu2u (09-09-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 07:28 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by 60 SHARK
I’ve only ever had standard shift, but thinking the lock system works in a similar way. If you can reach down the firewall from eng compartment, work that leaver by hand. If it completely goes to lock position, and key cylinder rotates to allow key removal, I would guess the cable is the issue.
. When I switched to a 5spd, I made a small strut to keep the lock from engaging, Therefore, my key comes out in any gear. But I no longer have that safety..
​​​​​…
I fabricated a brace to keep the lever in the full up position, there's enough threads on the master cylinder mounting stud to attach the brace and secure it with a nut. Nice to pull into the garage and leave it in first gear.
The following users liked this post:
Cavu2u (09-09-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 10:02 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the replies guys.
On my car, when (if) I go into Reverse, the Column Lever extends UP, locking the Steering Wheel in place, and yes, allows Key removal. If I brace that Column Lever in the UP position, Steering is locked. We cannot drive a car with a locked steering wheel. I must be missing something.

Steve
Old 09-05-2022, 10:50 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Lever in up position allows you remove the key from the ignition and the steering wheel locks. The shifter is not locked in reverse and you can move the shifter without the key.
Lever wired or braced in up position will allow a crazy passenger the ability to reach over while you're driving down the road, turn off the ignition, remove the key and throw it out the window, thus causing the steering wheel to lock.
A big SOL.
If the Lever is down you can't remove the key.
The following 2 users liked this post by 71 Green 454:
Cavu2u (09-09-2022), streets (02-25-2023)
Old 09-06-2022, 12:05 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
Lever in up position allows you remove the key from the ignition and the steering wheel locks. The shifter is not locked in reverse (if lockout cable is disconnected) and you can move the shifter without the key.
Lever wired or braced in up position will allow a crazy passenger the ability to reach over while you're driving down the road, turn off the ignition, remove the key and throw it out the window, thus causing the steering wheel to lock. OUTSTANDING DESCRIPTION!
A big SOL.
If the Lever is down you can't remove the key.
Thanks much.
Steve
Old 09-09-2022, 08:14 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Update:
After disconnecting the Interlock Cable at it's upper end, I've found the Column's Interlock Lever to freely operate, indicating the shifting problem lies underneath with the connection or Transmission Shift Linkage.

Steve
Old 09-09-2022, 12:12 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

My experience has been that the cable binds at the transmission end. These cables don't like to be pushed.
If you need to replace the cable, be sure to buy one like the original with the steel sheathing.
Also, if you pull the upper end of the cable with a pair of pliers, you should be able to pull the bind/loop out at the transmission end.

The following 2 users liked this post by 71 Green 454:
Cavu2u (09-09-2022), Peterbuilt (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 02:29 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Much appreciated 454.
I now have some specific places to look at.

Much appreciated.

Steve
Old 09-24-2022, 09:07 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Problem resolved.
Found the Reverse Rod's length adjustment Nuts loose. Makes sense; was a gradual worsening of getting the Transmission into Reverse gear.

On another subject, had to adjust the Interlock Cable's virtual length by loosening the Steering Column's Firewall Support Nuts (interior side, studs marked Yellow) and rotating the Interlock Cable's attachment point DOWN (Green arrow), making the Ignition Key operation more free and easy while in Reverse.

Thanks folks for the help.
Steve
The following 2 users liked this post by Cavu2u:
71 Green 454 (09-24-2022), streets (02-22-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To MT Interlock Cable or Steering Column Problem?

Quick Reply: MT Interlock Cable or Steering Column Problem?