C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 drag racers. Whats your ET/mph?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 08:29 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: C3 drag racers. Whats your ET/mph? (Dep)

If you get some good Drag Radials - 10's are not out of the question :eek: :eek: :eek:

:cheers:

Olivier

Hey Olivier...check his compression ratio! If he had the 12-1 of the original ZL-1 just imagine what kind oif times he would turn!!!
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Geez I gotta get me a ZL-1!!!!!! :cool:

Dep
ZL-1's are way cool.. however - I would be worried of ripping the rear end into pieces if using slicks or Drag Radials with that kind of power :eek: :eek:

Olivier

P.S. I think that he picks up the HP that he loses with the lower CR by using the Victor Jr. Heads.. The Victor Jr Heads - especially if prepped - outperform the original ZL-1 Heads... I'm pretty sure that his setup has close to or over 600 HP...

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 8:33 AM 1/10/2003]

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 8:34 AM 1/10/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 09:21 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: C3 drag racers. Whats your ET/mph? (WillRace4Food)

My best is 15 seconds at 90 mph. That was with the filter-housing-to-hood-seal sucked off down into the assembly against the filter.

With a new coil, battery and new tires, I might be able to do a bit better.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:35 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Geez I gotta get me a ZL-1!!!!!! :cool:

Dep
Don't punk out on us now after all that 302 talk. Don't you mean "Geez I gotta get me a 302!!!!! :cool:" ?

:lol: Just givin' ya a hard time Dep. :D

I haven't run the quarter in my current setup but I have run the 1/8 a few times. But it was a few years ago and I can't remember my times. All I remember was that I was spanking the late model F-body's :smash: :smash: :D
Anywho, once I get the new motor in and dialed in I'll head out to HRP and post some times. Course, I'd really like to get a hold of a set of drag radials. Anybody got any that they'd like to donate??? :jester
Old 01-10-2003, 01:59 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: C3 drag racers. Whats your ET/mph? (GrandSportC3)

[QUOTE]

Dep

ZL-1's are way cool.. however - I would be worried of ripping the rear end into pieces if using slicks or Drag Radials with that kind of power :eek: :eek:

Olivier

P.S. I think that he picks up the HP that he loses with the lower CR by using the Victor Jr. Heads.. The Victor Jr Heads - especially if prepped - outperform the original ZL-1 Heads... I'm pretty sure that his setup has close to or over 600 HP...

Olivier: The heads on his car are AWESOME. Valve size is humongous and the exhaust ports are in the STOCK location! Jim convinced me to get them for my car. :thumbs:
I'm probably lucky in that I have a Turbo 400, so I won't be stessing the rear end as much as a stick. I think Jim has a killer street motor and I get the drools every time I see those pics :lolg:

Dep

[Modified by Dep, 1:05 PM 1/10/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 02:16 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: C3 drag racers. Whats your ET/mph? (tshort)

Dep

Don't punk out on us now after all that 302 talk. Don't you mean "Geez I gotta get me a 302!!!!! :cool:" ?

:lol: Just givin' ya a hard time Dep. :D

I haven't run the quarter in my current setup but I have run the 1/8 a few times. But it was a few years ago and I can't remember my times. All I remember was that I was spanking the late model F-body's :smash: :smash: :D
Anywho, once I get the new motor in and dialed in I'll head out to HRP and post some times. Course, I'd really like to get a hold of a set of drag radials. Anybody got any that they'd like to donate??? :jester
tshort: Ooof! That punch was below the belt. I better hike my pants up some more. Just be thankful I DON'T build a 302. I'd be forced to embarass all those Mopar-sized crate engines and then what would they do?
Go---> :crazy: :crazy:
Okay...we don't want to go back there :lol:
Besides who says I WON'T build a 302 at some future time? I may be an Old Geezer, but I've still got some time left on this planet (God willing).

BEWARE OF SHARKS IN GUPPY CLOTHING! :D :D :D :D

Dep
Old 01-10-2003, 02:22 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Dep

Olivier

Olivier: The heads on his car are AWESOME. Valve size is humongous and the exhaust ports are in the STOCK location! Jim convinced me to get them for my car. :thumbs:
I'm probably lucky in that I have a Turbo 400, so I won't be stessing the rear end as much as a stick. I think Jim has a killer street motor and I get the drools every time I see those pics :lolg:

Dep
Even with a TH400 - I wouldn't use a stock rear end with such engine.. I would go with a Ford 9 inch... With a 200 HP shot of juice - that would be a solid 9 second car...

Olivier
Old 01-10-2003, 03:34 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Dep

Even with a TH400 - I wouldn't use a stock rear end with such engine.. I would go with a Ford 9 inch... With a 200 HP shot of juice - that would be a solid 9 second car...

Olivier
Olivier: are you talking about Nitrous with that "shot of juice" comment?
Mine will be on stricly gas. :nono:
With a stall speed and some super duty u-joints I think the stock rear end will hold. If not...then I'll let it Kaboom and put in a Ford housing. What the heck...it'll make an exciting picture when it lets go ;)

Dep :D
Old 01-10-2003, 03:38 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I would go with a Ford 9 inch...
Olivier
Two quick questions...do you have the Ford 9 inch in your car and do you know who does the conversion for a C3 Vette? Just in case I have some extra cash laying around ;)

Dep
Old 01-10-2003, 03:51 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Dep

Olivier

Olivier: are you talking about Nitrous with that "shot of juice" comment?
Mine will be on stricly gas. :nono:
With a stall speed and some super duty u-joints I think the stock rear end will hold. If not...then I'll let it Kaboom and put in a Ford housing. What the heck...it'll make an exciting picture when it lets go ;)

Dep :D
I personally wouldn't put NOS on my car... but it's difficult to get into 9's with relatively low compression and no NOS...

Olivier
Old 01-10-2003, 03:52 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

I would go with a Ford 9 inch...
Olivier

Two quick questions...do you have the Ford 9 inch in your car and do you know who does the conversion for a C3 Vette? Just in case I have some extra cash laying around ;)

Dep
Well - I don't have a 9 inch in my 68.. but I'm not running above 500 HP...
My mechanic does everything.. I'm pretty sure that he would install a Ford 9 in. rear end for the right kind of $$$

Olivier
Old 01-10-2003, 03:52 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

My best is 13.8 @ 103+ mph. Should be interesting to see how much improvement I can get from headers.... when I get around to installing them.. :lol: MJ
Old 01-10-2003, 03:58 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Dep,
Actually I would very much like to see you build up a 302. But if it takes you well over $4k then that's not a fair comparison against our "mopar-sized sb's". But maybe we shouldn't "go there" :D
Old 01-10-2003, 03:59 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: C3 drag racers. Whats your ET/mph? (ZL1powr)

Hey ZL1 I just wanted to say you have a killer C3. I was looking at your mph and if you can get that ZL1 hooked up it should be in the low low 11's.
All you need is 1.72 or lower and your there.
:auto: :chevy rule!!!
Old 01-10-2003, 04:02 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: C3 drag racers. Whats your ET/mph? (smokin75-427)

Hey ZL1 I just wanted to say you have a killer C3. I was looking at your mph and if you can get that ZL1 hooked up it should be in the low low 11's.
All you need is 1.72 or lower and your there.
:auto: :chevy rule!!!
Well - with traction - I'm sure that he could get low 1.60's 60' times (maybe even 1.50's) and run high 10's...

Olivier
Old 01-10-2003, 04:42 PM
pingdashf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a completely stock 74 L48 and I can't break into the 14's. Looks like its time to do some HP additions.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:47 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: C3 drag racers. Whats your ET/mph? (pingdashf)

I have a completely stock 74 L48 and I can't break into the 14's. Looks like its time to do some HP additions.
:iagree: :iagree: good idea!!!

Olivier
Old 01-10-2003, 05:18 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I personally wouldn't put NOS on my car... but it's difficult to get into 9's with relatively low compression and no NOS...

Olivier
Olivier;
I plan on duplicting the original ZL-1 specs as much as possible.
Soooooo...12-1 compression. :D

Dep

Get notified of new replies

To C3 drag racers. Whats your ET/mph?

Old 01-10-2003, 05:32 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: C3 drag racers. Whats your ET/mph? (tshort)

Dep,
Actually I would very much like to see you build up a 302. But if it takes you well over $4k then that's not a fair comparison against our "mopar-sized sb's". But maybe we shouldn't "go there" :D
tshort: Geez we are getting on thin ice talking about this again :(
Okay...my original premise was people were buying Chevy smallblock crate engines, installing them, and then complaining that they weren't putting out the power they expected from them. I posted about an engine SMALLER than their stroked 350s that put out MORE power (the 302). Of course, then they attacked in droves with ravings about torque and street (?) performance and all kinds of stuff that really had nothing to do with the original FACTS I had posted. Would building a 302 that turned 10-11s cost me more than one of their crate engines AFTER they got done adding MORE stuff to make it go ALMOST as fast as a 302? I dunno...maybe. But I'm not hindered by the cravings for street performance and torque and driveability and all the other restrictions that people who want to drive cars fast ON THE STREET are concerned with. I'm also not restricted to building a302 to a certain class of racing as Old Reliable in my original post was built.
My cars are NOT grocery getters. I can install 12-1 compression with no worries about getting gas to run it. I can install a 4-series gear and not be concerned with mileage. So it might actually cost me LESS to build MORE.
Only problem I see is availability of things like pistons, crank, and rods.
GM doesn't list any of that stuff any more for a 302. Possibly TRW still has the parts. If I had to have them custom made then the price would rise dramatically.

Anyway, it's only a possibility I might explore later down the road. Right now I am focused on the ZL-1 :D

Dep

[Modified by Dep, 12:46 AM 1/11/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 06:00 PM
jimtreber
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim...thats a big difference in MPH. I've found that when you sping hard off the line that the mph goes up but the et suffers. When you dead hook the et is better and mph goes down.

Whats the deal with all you guys on street tires... :nonod:
Different days, different mods. The car had been a continuing project over the years. When it was first featured in CarCraft, it was doing its maiden runs. CC kept up with my projects, trials and success/failers.

Street tires because I was a street racer. The track was only my testing grounds.

The 4.11 pig was out of a '64 fuelie. I blueprinted the posi and it never failed.
The car had a T10 4spd when I got it. Went to a TH350 3000stall, then a TH400 3000stall switchpitch.
406, 12to1, victor jr, comp cams special ground for this nitrous engine.

Old 01-10-2003, 06:18 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,931 Likes on 935 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: C3 drag racers. Whats your ET/mph? (jimtreber)

Well, they're not C-3's but I do like to play at the track!

The '67 ran lots of low 11 sec passes at several tracks around TX, through the mufflers, no bottle and on pump gas. I did use 10 x 26 slicks though with the 3.36's. I managed a 11.70 something once with plain 'ole BFG's.

And it broke a few stock halfshafts and stub axles and U-joints doing it.
That was leaving at 1500 rpm and easing into it to avoid breaking stuff and then pounding it for all it was worth after that. It only averaged low 1.70 60's idling out like that.

It made a solid 2 ft pass on it's maiden voyage with the 540! Made lots of pretty sparks everyone said as U-joint blew. Long, expensive ride home on the rollback that night!

I just set the body back on last Saturday. I have the custom built Dana 60 IRS installed along with Tom's outer axles and solid Spicer 1480 series u-joints. I'm using 3.5" x .134 wall halfshafts. Did lots of frame reinforcing while it was apart and will do some more now that body is back in place.

Looking forward to a FUN spring/summer. The 540 is apart gaining a few HP, and with traction........well I'm expecting a to have a big smile on my face!

JIM

Quick Reply: C3 drag racers. Whats your ET/mph?