C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pots and pans - weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 12:35 AM
CubeBrick
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks, I’ll look into it.

I don’t have spare tire nor carrying harness
Old 04-30-2023, 12:38 AM
CubeBrick
Instructor

Originally Posted by interpon
Replace the spring. For whatever reason my 2 older ones also slanted.. something must be tweaked as they wear.
new one all straight.
here is a thread i did. You don’t need to do right away inless as above its squirelly
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...af-spring.html

This is so clean and straight. Man congrats… I hope mine will turn out like that one day.
The following users liked this post:
interpon (04-30-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 02:58 PM
CubeBrick
Instructor

Update

found the possible culprit. Sounds like something fell inside torque converter cover and bounces arround in it when it catches the big rotating part (can’t remember the name in english for the life of me). Once I get it down I’ll report back.
interpon (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 04:12 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by CubeBrick
Update

found the possible culprit. Sounds like something fell inside torque converter cover and bounces arround in it when it catches the big rotating part (can’t remember the name in english for the life of me). Once I get it down I’ll report back.
Ring gear
Old 09-02-2023, 10:08 AM
CubeBrick
Instructor

Finally managed to record the noise… Does anyone have a clue what could it be? Sound is coming from under the car, torque converter area.

https://youtube.com/shorts/bTdq3tIiZ...EnP1Y1J-2lhSIz

this happens only with sudden acceleration or braking. While driving absolutely no noise. Gear changes are normal and smooth.

Last edited by CubeBrick; 09-02-2023 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-02-2023, 11:05 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,050 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
Ring gear
Sounds like the flexplate is cracked to me. Need to grab it and see if it will move front to back. Check at 3 places where the torque converter bolts to it. One of those 3 areas could have a crack.
CubeBrick (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 01:03 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 543 Likes on 417 Posts

I still say its most likely the pinion mount at the differential. See the bolt #11 in the diagram in post #14. Have you looked at it?
Old 09-02-2023, 02:00 PM
CubeBrick
Instructor

Originally Posted by drwet
I still say its most likely the pinion mount at the differential. See the bolt #11 in the diagram in post #14. Have you looked at it?
No I’m scheduled for the lift in friends garage mid next week, but…

I’m almost positive it’s not that because I had a situation an hour ago. This noise started, than became constant and didn’t go of, it started grinding. I immediately pulled at side of the road and under the hood white smoke started coming out underneath the firewall, in the area where gearbox connects to the engine.

I turned it off, waited for a minute and then back on again. Everything reverted back to the “usual normal”.

Also, don’t know is it important but seams that the colder it gets outside the worst the problem it is. My mind goes to the oil viscosity in torque converter, but as I said, just guessing here.

Last edited by CubeBrick; 09-02-2023 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2023, 02:22 PM
MelWff
Race Director

No I’m scheduled for the lift in friends garage mid next week, but…

I’m almost positive it’s not that because I had a situation an hour ago. This noise started, than became constant and didn’t go of, it started grinding. I immediately pulled at side of the road and under the hood white smoke started coming out underneath the firewall, in the area where gearbox connects to the engine.

I turned it off, waited for a minute and then back on again. Everything reverted back to the “usual normal”.

Also, don’t know is it important but seams that the colder it gets outside the worst the problem it is. My mind goes to the oil viscosity in torque converter, but as I said, just guessing here.
That sound is Not the pinion snuber. You should follow the suggestions concerning the transmission flexplate. I would also check transmission fluid level.
CubeBrick (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 02:31 PM
CubeBrick
Instructor

That sound is Not the pinion snuber. You should follow the suggestions concerning the transmission flexplate. I would also check transmission fluid level.
In ideal world this is a loose bolt wrecking havoc inside a flexplate pan. Started praying already, judeo-christian god is today, quraan tomorrow and will be moving to budha early next week.
Old 09-02-2023, 03:02 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Back in April you said you removed the wheels and did some type of brake work. You said nothing about whether you removed the calipers and rotors to access the parking brake shoes.
Did you remove the rear calipers and rotors?
Old 09-02-2023, 04:03 PM
CubeBrick
Instructor

Back in April you said you removed the wheels and did some type of brake work. You said nothing about whether you removed the calipers and rotors to access the parking brake shoes.
Did you remove the rear calipers and rotors?
yes, changed master cylinder and rear brake shoes. Rotors were almost brand new so didn’t change those. Brake pads have enough ‘meat’ to last at least two more seasons.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:24 PM
MelWff
Race Director

yes, changed master cylinder and rear brake shoes. Rotors were almost brand new so didn’t change those. Brake pads have enough ‘meat’ to last at least two more seasons.
I think you are misunderstanding my question. When you say rear brake shoes, do you mean the Parking brake shoes?
Old 09-02-2023, 06:11 PM
CubeBrick
Instructor

I think you are misunderstanding my question. When you say rear brake shoes, do you mean the Parking brake shoes?
That’s correct. Parking brake shoes were in fact added as they were missing from the car.
MelWff (09-02-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 07:34 AM
CubeBrick
Instructor

Update - found the issue!

Bolt came undone between torque converter and flexplate. It fell out. Noise was comming from flexplate rubbing against the cover. Added stronger bolt, put some blue locktite on it, torqued it to spec.

And here is the little *****

Thank y’all for help.

Last edited by CubeBrick; 09-10-2023 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Pots and pans - weird noise