C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 tach issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 06:29 PM
Gary Gaw
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 tach issue

I have seen a lot of tach issues on this board but none quite like what I am experiencing. My old tach on my 79 would just flutter sporadically so I thought I would replace the tach board from the various posts that I have been reading. After replacing the board, the tach does not move at all. It is frozen on 3000 and never moves while starting or key on or whatever. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated
Old 06-04-2023, 09:10 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Gaw
I have seen a lot of tach issues on this board but none quite like what I am experiencing. My old tach on my 79 would just flutter sporadically so I thought I would replace the tach board from the various posts that I have been reading. After replacing the board, the tach does not move at all. It is frozen on 3000 and never moves while starting or key on or whatever. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated
Mine was stuck at 2000 nothing would move it, not even directly hooking up volts and a tach signal,,,, turned out I needed the actual tach,
Old 06-04-2023, 10:01 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,581 Likes on 2,763 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Sounds to me like you got a defective new tach board.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:34 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
Sounds to me like you got a defective new tach board.
i agree..
also try to zero it out
what board did u buy

Last edited by interpon; 06-04-2023 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:34 PM
Gary Gaw
3rd Gear

Default Board

I bought a stock replacement board from top flight or ecklers. I can't remember which. How do I zero it out?
Old 06-06-2023, 03:57 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 717 Likes on 465 Posts

I know when working with Wilcox on building an American-made tach board. that the hit on all others was they were coming from China and quality was poor. But that was several years ago...but I don't know if someone else is making the Wilcox tach boards...or if the China boards are still in the supply chain. I think I still have a Wilcox board in a box...I'll look to see if there are any identifiers that could suggest an American-made board vs. Chinese & the CCP! Not knowing what they were doing, the CCP probably attempted to direct the manufacturer to put some sort of tracking device in them to gather intelligence...Duh!
Old 06-06-2023, 09:21 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,560 Posts

post 140 in the thread below... LONG THREAD... on board.. and what worked for me and still is..
To zero out Willcox had a video..

The following users liked this post:
hunt4cleanair (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:00 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Why not just test the tach itself, bypassing the board all together? Then youll know for sure if its the board or the tach itself....
Old 06-06-2023, 02:18 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Default Technical study of original vs. replacement tach boards

For the tech curious, I've uploaded references for an original factory board (on the right) and a Wilcox replacement (left)...American made. We see some references on the Wilcox board using standard terms; ground, 12V, and coil with a reference on the bottom to RCI-F 94V0. Notice on the board the copper path beneath what appears as a green laminate, a protective measure. Early boards, the copper would crack, breaking continuity. On the front side note that potentiometer (right side of board, look for color code blue with a glue to secure the set screw). its used for the "modern-day" calibration method.

the original board shows a part number on the copper path side. If you look closely at the upper right corner you can see where copper has emerged past this laminate. Component side; note the DIP chip to the right side of the board. This was the mechanism to calibrate the board and required some tools, which I'm sure are no longer available. The DIP or Dual-in-line Package is a 14-pin black and used a chip-type fixed-resistor network and was re-calibrated through 1996. So C4s used them too.

Below is an article that describes calibration for either chip. The photos follow.
http://www.hunt4cleanair.net/Articles/tachboards.pdf

Side by side of copper path side

1978-79 Board

Side view of component side. Note Original factory board with black and white DIP chip.

Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
interpon (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 02:42 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Originally Posted by interpon
post 140 in the thread below... LONG THREAD... on board.. and what worked for me and still is..
To zero out Willcox had a video.
Great gauge tool to test RPM ranges and validate tach board performance!

Old 06-10-2023, 05:20 PM
Gary Gaw
3rd Gear

As the video shows, the 3 washers are the key! I originally did not include the washers since my old original board did not have any washers. There are 6 screws, but 3 washers! You need to use the 3 on the screws that come out of the center of the tach. - when I did this, it worked! I wish the replacement came with that small detail since it is a difference of working or not! I guess its not that small of a detail! LOL

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 tach issue

Quick Reply: 1979 tach issue