C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 door latch stuck help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 04:00 PM
Renevette1982
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1982 door latch stuck help!

After working perfectly from when i got my 1982 suddenly i cannot open my drivers side door anymore. It was not locked when i closed it getting in, but when i wanted to get out nothing...

Inner door handle, outer door handle, no succes, door stays shut and the "hook" which grabs the pin in the door opening stays firmly shut.

I removed the passenger side door card to see how it works. I cannot remove the driver side door panel with a closed door but i was able to pry open the window opening slot with a wooden wedge and looked inside.

All seems to work fine. I found plenty of advise which all pointed onto a small tab on the lock which operates the latch. Tested the fix on the passenger door and it worked fine. I was able to position a large screwdriver onto the tab on the stubborn lock and pushed it down and it went down fine, but did not unlatched my door.

What can i do to open the latching mechanism without cutting up my door?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Renevette1982; 06-08-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:21 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Renevette, welcome to the Corvette Forum.You've definitely come to the right place to get lots of helpful information on just about anything Corvette.
Your problem is discussed frequently here so the problem is not uncommon.

Check out this thread, and pay close attention to the pictures. Over the years we've accumulated a lot of terrific pictures of the lock mechanism and how to approach it. While it is definitely helpful to have the door panel removed to release the latch, it is not necessary except in the most extreme situations. With the window down, all it takes is a long flat-blade screwdriver, some patience and perhaps someone to hold a light for you. Once the blade is resting on the critical lever, a sharp wack with the palm of your had on the handle should pop it open.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pen-ideas.html

Okay I see you've gotten this far... Instead of pushing down on the tab, I would recommend that you give it a good "wack". Try a rubber mallet if you have one. The latch does work more freely when the door is not latched in the closed position, so it can take more pressure.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 06-08-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:33 PM
Renevette1982
Heel & Toe

Thank you Gusto for your reply. I searched the internet and found many posts referring to that particular tab on the lock.

Tested the procedure on the passenger door and it worked fine, i could unlatch it with a large screwdriver. Tried the same on the stuck driver side door and was able to press down the same tab, but the lock dit not open...

Whacked it with a hammer but no result...

I dont want to cut the striker in the door post to open the door....
Old 06-08-2023, 04:54 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Renevette1982
Thank you Gusto for your reply. I searched the internet and found many posts referring to that particular tab on the lock.

Tested the procedure on the passenger door and it worked fine, i could unlatch it with a large screwdriver. Tried the same on the stuck driver side door and was able to press down the same tab, but the lock dit not open...

Whacked it with a hammer but no result...

I dont want to cut the striker in the door post to open the door....
You may be in that 'extreme situation' I mentioned above.

I never had one not open using the above technique, but I know others have had to resort to extreme measures. I did a search using "door Latch" and quite a few posts popped up. Read through a few of them and I suspect someone will have a idea that you can work with.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 06-09-2023, 01:43 AM
Renevette1982
Heel & Toe

Searched the net but every solution points in the same direction: find that small tab which unlocks the latch and press it down with a long screwdriver and your lock will pop open.

But not mine....

Have located that tab for 100% sure and pressed, massaged, whacked and hammered it and the tab moves down exactly the same travel as on passenger side but the door doesn't unlock.

Can the latch be locked by for example the not-working power lock actuator?

I can see the door striker pin and the pawl holding the door, almost so desperate i consider cutting the striker pin or pawl with a Dremel or some other grinding tool.

Anyone with the golden idea?

Can it be the pawl itselve being stuck? The pawl has zero movement on the striker pin, maybe this pin is out of location jamming the pawl? Of bad door alignment.

Last edited by Renevette1982; 06-09-2023 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:24 PM
Kerschmolar
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 283 Likes on 192 Posts

Dealt with a stuck door, but with a different scenario. The door was closed with the seat belt buckle stuck in the door jam. This put too much pressure on the latch/post to open from inside or outside. In this case pushing the lever down worked. If it didn’t work the next thing to try is spraying all the pivot points you can get to with a penetrating spray; then work all the parts. Even though the door was unlocked, try locking-unlocking and opening on the passenger side. Then the same thing on the driver door. Pushing the door in and out with the small amount of play it has should work the latch as well. And here’s another angle on the latch pic.
Charlie

Could not figure out how to delete first image.
The following users liked this post:
kanvasman (06-09-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 02:49 PM
Renevette1982
Heel & Toe

Thanks for helping guys! I have to try but i am more and more convinced the pawl is somehow under stress or stuck, so i start soaking it with penetrating oil and try again tomorrow.

I'll keep you all informed.

Last edited by Renevette1982; 06-09-2023 at 02:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 door latch stuck help!

Quick Reply: 1982 door latch stuck help!