C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400 SBC in my 77 Corvette - Third and Final Chapter

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 05:46 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,425 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
Good to hear you almost got that old Motorbike of yours back on the road. Must be springtime over there.
You need that for your sanity!
Amazing how a couple hour ride on a Harley through the hills can clear ones mind!
You got that right. For me, there is no place I am more content, and at peace, than on the Harley on the road.
The following 2 users liked this post by Torqued Off:
4-vettes (03-31-2024), 68post (04-05-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 06:24 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,716 Likes on 2,843 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Old 04-05-2024, 04:08 PM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Torqued Off
You got that right. For me, there is no place I am more content, and at peace, than on the Harley on the road.
When you feel it's a safe enough environment - try using a pr of foam ear plugs to cancel all wind noise and it becomes an extremely soothing ride!
Old 04-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 68post
When you feel it's a safe enough environment - try using a pr of foam ear plugs to cancel all wind noise and it becomes an extremely soothing ride!
I use an open face helmet that I have added padding to keep a good seal around the ears. I wouldn't ride without it. AND......I would not want to seal it too well and miss that beautiful Harley noise. I put 137,000 miles on the Road King, and took the windshield off after the 30 mile ride home from the dealership when I bought it.....and have been in the wind every mile since. No interest in fairings or windshields. Its perfect and would not have it any other way.

Just like the Corvette.....I drive it with T-Tops off and windows down 99.9% of the time, enjoying the beautiful V8 sound and the wind. No radios...No airconditioning.
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (04-05-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 05:16 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Harley is done and back on the road. Put 70 miles on rebuilt engine this afternoon. Running good,....lets hope it stays that way. So now I can get back to the engine build.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 04-14-2024 at 05:22 PM.
68post (04-24-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 05:45 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,035 Likes on 853 Posts

Open face helmet?
One good trip over the handle bars will cure you of that. Been there, and glad I had full face helmet.
Old 04-14-2024, 07:49 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Open face helmet?
One good trip over the handle bars will cure you of that. Been there, and glad I had full face helmet.
Well...I have propably over 300,000 miles on motorcycles, owned many, mostly Harleys, and almost all those miles were with an open face helmet. I have been down a couple times. I am sure your full face helmet was paired with a full synthetic special motorcycle jacket and pants, with knee pads and elbow pads....on your BMW / Ducati / *** bike. But, I am not turning my engine thread into a debate on anything.....especially not the choices I make in riding a motorcycle.

Look,....I am fully aware of the dangers of riding motorcycles. I had a good friend who went straight into a car at 55 mph.....his heart was ripped from his veins and arteries...he was dead before he hit the ground on the other side of the car. I have seen a pictures of a guy laying on the ground after a motorcycle accident.....there was NOTHING left of him below his waist.....his legs were still back at the motorcycle. My best male friend in life was ripped into three pieces in an airplane accident.....I was a pallbearer carrying his remains in a casket. If all that doesn't scare me away....nothing will. And I could die or get horribly injured the very next time I go out. I am completely aware of that.

Every time I put those motorcycle boots on.....or climb into a cockpit, I remind myself that it may be the last time, and I will die a horrible death,....or live with horrible injuries. But I do it because its worth it. Life without these things would mean very little to me. These are not just "hobbies"....! But, I have come to realize my experience / life with my machines is a much different experience than MOST OF ALL OF YOU seem to have. It has really surprised me, and pretty disappointing to me. I thought there would be more people who truly enjoy these things the way I do. But... I learned that a long time ago...and why I spend most of my time "alone" with them. Its just the way it is.

Riding a motorcycle is about being directly in the wind, hearing the roar of the wind and of the Harley. Without that......its not worth wasting my time. I have done most of the riding without a windshield.....and get smacked with bugs and rocks all that time. Hell I got hit twice today in the chin just in 70 miles. So what. I am not bragging about any of it, its just the way I live my life, where I find my peace, where I find joy. The Quality of it matters.

Same with the Vette......windows down, tops off,......just the sound of a V8.......all at 40-60 MPH...with all its limitations and character, on beautiful country roads of America. No airconditioning, no radio, the only music is the raw experience of the car. The Quality of it matters.

Bottom line......it seems I experience these things in a way that most don't understand, or comprehend. And the quality of the experience has requirements. I make my choices because those things matter. Without those specific qualities.....the experience is unrewarding. And of course its unsafe, expensive, silly, stupid, and a long list of other criticisms....so what. The rewards all come with risks and costs.

Its pretty simple really, and as they say in the Harley world, If I have to explain it....you would not understand.

So....if you don't like my response, remember, I was not the one who posted on this thread schooling me about what kind of helmet I should wear........but I had to respond. You asked for it.

Can we now get back to the topic of the thread?

Last edited by Torqued Off; 04-14-2024 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:25 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,035 Likes on 853 Posts

Lol,
Old 04-14-2024, 10:27 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Yes we're all dieing to hear that it's up and running, purrs like a kitten, pulls like train!
let's get on with it! It's spring time over there let's get this car back on the road!
Old 04-15-2024, 04:53 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Yes we're all dieing to hear that it's up and running, purrs like a kitten, pulls like train!
let's get on with it! It's spring time over there let's get this car back on the road!
Assuming you are serious, thanks. But, it will not happen quick. You mentioned it would take 6.5 hours of labor to get the Harley back on the road. and you posted that on March 6th.....it was done yesterday, April 14th...over a month. Not only does my work schedule interfere, I also will be taking it very slow and methodically so that I make no mistakes. But.....yeah, I am really looking forward to getting it back on the road, and hopefully without issues like the first two times.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:21 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Torqued Off
Assuming you are serious, thanks.
Of course I'm serious. You might get a bit grumpy from time to time. But we all still want to see you get your beautiful car back up and going!
And I might be a bit quicker at putting an old Roadking back together. But it is what I do.
Torqued Off (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 07:34 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Got the short block out of the crate today, and on the stand. Here are some pictures. There is some core shift, as you can see the holes for the spider tray are off, so even with a Dart block you have this. Its not an issue. Real happy about the proper piston head design. And nice work on the block prep, and pre-lube. The quality I hoped for is there. I am working on the list of remaining parts to buy......hopefully, this will start coming together. Next nice / dry day......when I am not working....I will get the block painted with Eastwood Two Part engine enamel....Chevy Orange.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 04-21-2024 at 05:08 AM.
68post (04-24-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 07:38 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,838 Likes on 2,076 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

That looks great.

Report him, I'll ban him.

Elmer
leigh1322 (04-19-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 07:48 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Right now it looks I have tomorrow off work....so if the weather participates, I will try to get the block painted. I also ordered a couple parts today from CNC Motorsports, including:

- Scat SCA8000 6-3/4 Balancer. Its a simple, inexpensive balancer that is more than adequate for my use, and is a match with the internal balance Scat crankshaft. This is the one I used on my original 350 build....worked great. Don't need an ATI damper or SFI ratings.

- Moroso adjustable timing pointer to work with the above balancer.

- ARP Balancer attach bolt

-
Cloyes 9-3545X9 Timing Chain set that is made to work with 87-up factory roller block and SHP blocks.

Cloyes Street Billet True Roller Timing Sets - Offering a level of True Roller advantage for the value-racer, Cloyes upgraded the cam sprockets to feature the strength of billet steel and added critical functioning features. The billet steel durability, 9-keyway induction-hardened crank sprocket, .250 True Roller chain, and precise CNC machining together offer quality and adjustability unmatched in their class.

Features include:
• Billet steel cam sprocket
• Induction heat-treated billet steel crank sprocket
• 9 keyways allow +/- 8 degrees
• Adjustability in 2 crank degree increments
• True Roller chain with .250 in. diameter rollers

I am working on a Summit Racing order for the rest of the parts I will need, and detailed in earlier posts.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 04-22-2024 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:47 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 255 Posts

How far in the hole are the pistons at TDC?
Old 04-23-2024, 08:48 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OMF
How far in the hole are the pistons at TDC?
Zero decked, just as I requested. I layed a straightedge across the pistons and deck, one on both sides to confirm…..0.000 inch.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 04-24-2024 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:00 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

There are a lot of water ports on a head gasket. I certainly wouldn't recommend silicone on a head gasket. I do spray mine with permatex Copper spray-a-gasket for that little bit of insurance.
But I also run Fel-Pro shim style head gaskets as my block is not decked.

Get notified of new replies

To 400 SBC in my 77 Corvette - Third and Final Chapter

Old 04-24-2024, 07:05 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

There are a lot of water ports on a head gasket. I certainly wouldn't recommend silicone on a head gasket. I do spray mine with permatex Copper spray-a-gasket for that little bit of insurance.
But I also run Fel-Pro shim style head gaskets as my block is not decked.
You know what......brain fart happened here, I was thinking of the intake manifold water ports when I wrote that. So, thanks for getting that straight. I was thinking of Copper spray a gasket, as that insurance you were suggesting. Just a light coat.
Rescue Rogers (04-24-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 02:07 AM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 255 Posts

I did some calculations using the Wallace racing calculators http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php and others, and came up with a dynamic compression ratio for your combination of 9.29:1 to 9.4 :1......which is too much for a street car in my opinion. You said in post #106 that you figured DCR would be 8:1 at your altitude of 1200'......I think it's more than that. I'm thinking you're going to have issues with detonation with pump gas and normal ignition timing settings and may want to look at it closer. I may have made a mistake, please tell me what I did wrong if so. I gathered this info from what you have provided in your posts....

Compression Ratio
- Bore ...........................4.125"
- Stroke.........................3.75"
- Head CC....................65cc
- Dome/Relief..............+16cc
- Gasket thickness.......041"
- Gasket bore................4.200"
- Deck Height................0.00"
- Additional cc's...........1/2cc for space between top ring, spark plug, and the deck (I guessed at this)

Dynamic Compression calculation

- Cylinders............................... ..8
- Bore.................................... ....4.125"
- Stroke.................................. ...3.75"
- Rod..................................... ....6.0"
- Static Compression ratio........10.00
- Intake valve closing ABDC.....38
- Boost................................... ....0
- Target Altitude........................1200'
Old 04-25-2024, 05:17 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OMF
I did some calculations using the Wallace racing calculators http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php and others, and came up with a dynamic compression ratio for your combination of 9.29:1 to 9.4 :1......which is too much for a street car in my opinion. You said in post #106 that you figured DCR would be 8:1 at your altitude of 1200'......I think it's more than that. I'm thinking you're going to have issues with detonation with pump gas and normal ignition timing settings and may want to look at it closer. I may have made a mistake, please tell me what I did wrong if so. I gathered this info from what you have provided in your posts....

Compression Ratio
- Bore ...........................4.125"
- Stroke.........................3.75"
- Head CC....................65cc
- Dome/Relief..............+16cc
- Gasket thickness.......041"
- Gasket bore................4.200"
- Deck Height................0.00"
- Additional cc's...........1/2cc for space between top ring, spark plug, and the deck (I guessed at this)

Dynamic Compression calculation

- Cylinders............................... ..8
- Bore.................................... ....4.125"
- Stroke.................................. ...3.75"
- Rod..................................... ....6.0"
- Static Compression ratio........10.00
- Intake valve closing ABDC.....38
- Boost................................... ....0
- Target Altitude........................1200'
You have to enter the correct intake valve closing number. See note highlighted in red below from their website calculator you used. The intake valve closing ABDC number is incorrect, its 62. They are looking for the degrees at 0.006 valve lift, not at 0.050 inch valve lift. On the Wallace calculator below, If yoiu enter the advertised duration numbers, then you have to use the Intake Valve Closing ABDC at the 0.006 valve lift, not 0.050 inch lift. (See their cam calulator below). The 38 degree number you entered is the 0.050 inch lift number. You can use that number, as long as you use the duration numbers at 0.050. Its when you mix them you get incorrect results. See their IVC calculator below.

(Use seat to seat or advertised specs for Intake spec for best results)
Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator
Number of Cylinders : Bore in Inches : Stroke in Inches : Rod Length in Inches : Static Compression Ratio : (:1) Inlet Valve Closes ABDC : ° Boost Pressure in PSI : Target Altitude : (Feet)

Camshaft, Rod Length, Boost and Altitude Correction to Compression

Static compression ratio of 10.1:1.
Effective stroke is 2.99 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.26:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 164.08 PSI.
Your effective boost compression ratio, reflecting static c.r., cam timing, altitude, and boost of 0 PSI is 8.02 :1.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 157

Use Advertised Durations - usually at .006"
If you use .050" Duration numbers the opening/close will be at .050"Cam Calculator
Advertised Intake Duration: Advertised Exhaust Duration: LSA: Intake Centerline:
IVO is 26.0 ° BTDC ( - indicates ATDC)
IVC is 62.0 ° ABDC
EVO is 70.0 ° BBDC
EVC is 22.0 ° ATDC ( - indicates BTDC)
Overlap is 48 °

I used the Jeep Calculator (https://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/calculator/), because I find it more user friendly, but the numbers work the same for Wallace as they do Jeeps, given its a math calculation. I checked on both, and my posted numbers are correct.

Lastly,......Mike Jones was provided all the information and he selected the cam.....while I do not trust anyone anymore, we discussed detonation, and he told me this cam would not be a problem with that, in fact he personally has used it on his own engine....with cast iron heads! and he had no detonation. I have aluminum heads.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 04-25-2024 at 07:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Torqued Off:
leigh1322 (04-25-2024), OMF (04-25-2024)

Quick Reply: 400 SBC in my 77 Corvette - Third and Final Chapter